Search for content in message boards

McCLELLAN and TATUM

McCLELLAN and TATUM

Posted: 18 Jan 2002 4:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Sep 2002 1:28AM GMT
Surnames: MCCLELLAN, TATUM, POTTER, DANIEL
I am looking especially for the family of a Leander Calvin McCLELLAN born 1826 in Cabarrus County, NC who married Harriet Ann TATUM in Marietta, Cobb County, GA in 1856.
Any information is appreciated.
Harriet Ann TATUM (1830-1925) was the daughter of Joseph John TATUM and Margaret POTTER, both families were of St. Croix, Dutch West Indies. Joseph TATUM moved to Marietta, GA where he was a merchant and his daughter, Harriet married this McCLELLAN boy.
The POTTER and TATUM families were very influential and wealthy families from St. Croix where Margaret POTTER's father was the Governor General of the Dutch West Indies.
I am also looking for any connection in this county to a DANIEL family in the 1800 (or before) time frame.....

Re: McCLELLAN and TATUM

Posted: 2 Apr 2002 11:23PM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2003 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: McLellan, Singletary, Kirkland, Whitehead, Holland
Did your McLellan have a brother? I am looking for my grgrandfather, Daniel McLellan, born circa 1827 in ???N.C. In the 1870's he was in ??? Georgia for about 5 years with his wife and children. Do you know who was your McLellan ancestors parents?
Shirley

Posted: 5 Apr 2002 2:18PM GMT
The McCLELLANS are not my ancestors, their children were related to me through the TATUMS and POTTERS. Family notes say that Leander Calvin McCLELLAN was from Carrabus County, NC. I know nothing more about them, other than the name of their children. According to others, he was married twice. first to a COLLINS and second to Harriett TATUM, daughter of Joseph John TATUM and Margaret POTTER. The TATUMS and POTTERS were from prominent families of St. Croix, Dutch West Indies, now the US VI.

Posted: 5 Apr 2002 7:13PM GMT
Surnames: McLellan. Singletary, Whitehead, Kirkland, Holland
John
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Shirley

Posted: 5 Apr 2002 11:25PM GMT
Tell me a little bit about your WHITEHEADS and HOLLANDS. Thanks

Posted: 6 Apr 2002 7:20AM GMT
Surnames: McLellan, Singletary, Whitehead, Kirkland, Holland
I have tracked my Whiteheads only back to 1790 in Edgefield Co. (Old 96) South Carolina. So far my line goes roughly like this:
Thomas Whitehead; son Jacob Whitehead migrated to Henry Co. Al before 1830. Jacob - sons John, James, and Jacob raised families in Henry County down to my generation.
The Hollands I have tracked are back to Theophilus in North Carolina, thru son Henry, John in 1800 in Edgefield Dist South Carolina who migrated with his family before 1830 to Henry Co. Al .John and Jacob Whitehead married sisters, Temperance and Zilpha Holland.
This is just a quick synopsis. My dad was from Henry County, Alabama. My grandfather Benjamin Augustus McLellan married Rachael Whitehead c 1881.
Gus was the son of Daniel McLelland and Margaret Singletary. Daniel was born in ? N.C. and I am stumped there.
Rachael was the daughter of John Whitehead and Rachel Kirkland. John Whitehead was the son of either John Whitehead and Tempe Holland or Jacob Whitehead and Zilpha Holland - They both had sons they named John and there is no proof as to who belongs to who - just theory.
I have more info if this hooks up with your ancestors.
Shirley

Posted: 6 Apr 2002 6:34PM GMT
A Martha Julia DANIEL born about 1775 married a John Reason WHITEHEAD before 1800. A Sarah W. POTTER married a John R. WHITHEAD before 1834. She was a sister of my GGM, Anne Eliza POTTER who married Charles W. RICHTER, Sr. of Madison, Morgan, GA. The POTTERS and the RICHTERS were from St. Croix, DWI and migrated to GA about 1837. Their son, John C. RICHTER, Sr. (1848-1907) married Alice Elizabeth DANIEL (1854-1924).
I think all of these families (WHITEHEAD, DAIEL and POTTER) were related.
Alice Elizabeth's mother was Mary Jane RENEAU (1830-1912) who married Robert W. DANIEL, Esq. (1890-1865) of Bethany, Jefferson County, GA in 1852, as his 3rd wife. Mary Jane's younger sister, Sarah Elizabeth RENEAU, married Thomas P. HOLLAND in 1854 in GA. I also know there was a Thomas HOLLAND in Morgan County, GA in the 1880's but I can find no details on this family.

Posted: 7 Apr 2002 12:14AM GMT
John
I don't think we connect.
My Thomas Whitehead was born c 1737 probably in Bertie North Carolina. He had a brother Charles. Charles and Thomas around 1770 were in St. George Parrish, GA.(now Burke Co. GA). Thomas moved to S.C. before 1790 (census records). Charles moved from Washington Co. GA (now Hancock Co.) prior to 1822 to Henry Co. AL where he died.
Shirley

Posted: 7 Apr 2002 12:30AM GMT
The John R. WHITEHEAD family came down from VA from what I understand. None of these WHITEHEADS are related to me, but they are collateral with my family. John R. WHITEHEAD was born about 1770, was an attorney and he moved from Burke to Twiggs and then to Clarke County, GA by 1850.
As for Hancock county, there were DANIEL's over there and I think they are related to mine via of a sibling of my Robert C. DANIEL (about 1765-about 1830) of the Keysville area of Burke County, GA.

Death of L. C. McLELLAN, Marietta, Cobb Co, GA / Cabarrus Co., NC, 1883

Posted: 26 Jan 2003 6:10AM GMT
Classification: Death
Edited: 4 Jun 2004 5:28AM GMT
Surnames: McLellan, McClellan
This appears to be your Leander Calvin McCLELLAN. I'm not researching this family, but found this obituary while looking for something else and thought it would be useful to someone.

June 10, 1883, THE ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, (Atlanta, Georgia)
Departed this life Monday, May 28th, 1883, at his home in Marietta, Georgia,
L. C. McCLELLAN, in the 58th year of his age.
The announcement of the death of this gentleman took the writer somewhat by surprise. And yet it ought not to have been unexpected, as I knew him to have been in failing health for some years. The deceased had many qualities to endear him to his friends. Endowed with an uncommonly clear business capacity, he had many of the qualities which go to make the successful merchant, had he made the aim and object of his life. Yet he seemed to have no regard for success for its own sake; but to be content to fill the role of an honest man-unambitious of fortune, or doing more than providing for the wants of the present.
With his clear foresight and sagacity, he saw from the first eventuality of the secession movement by the south, and was always of pronounced union sentiments. But these he never suffered to interfere with his private friendships. Quiet, unobtrusive in manner, he never sought to make money out of the misfortunes of his section.
Always alive to the importance of religion, he was never sufficiently settled in mind on points of doctrine and faith to induce him to unite with any church. But –
“He prayeth best who loveth best.
All things, both great and small;”
and his ear was ever open to the cry of distress, and his hand to relieve the wants of the poor and needy.
The deceased was a native of Cabarrus county, North Carolina, and came to Marietta, Georgia, in the year 1850, where he resided to the time of his death. He leaves a widow and three interesting daughters to mourn his loss. In his character he has bequeathed them more than wealth. May God be with them in their sorrow and prosper and bless them in their lives.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions