Search for content in message boards

Ancestry issues using Google Chrome and latest Java update

Ancestry issues using Google Chrome and latest Java update

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 5:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Is anyone else having problems viewing images in Ancestry after the latest Java update? I am trying to access Ancestry via Google Chrome on a Windows 8 computer and all I get when I try to view images now is a black screen. I can view the images on Ancestry using Firefox, but can't save the image and source data as a searchable pdf. This was a feature I used in Google Chrome so that I could copy and paste the source into my genealogy programme, so would really like to still be able to do this. Ancestry have said that it is a browser issue and they can't do anything about it. Does anyone know how I can fix this? There doesn't seem to be any link on the Java website to install anything other than the latest version of their software. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Re: Ancestry issues using Google Chrome and latest Java update

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 8:02PM GMT
I don't use Chrome but I'm wondering if you actually MEAN JAVA or might you mean JAVASCRIPT? They are completely different things. I am not aware of Ancestry using JAVA for any part of the site and I have JAVA disabled in Firefox ever since the Dept. of Hameland Security warning about ID theft through JAVA, and am not having any issues.

Joan

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 8:06PM GMT
Start by signing out of Ancestry, clearing your browser cache and cookies, closing your browser then re-opening.

Java update was just a coincidence.

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 1:17AM GMT
Hello

Thank you for the suggestion but it hasn't worked! If you don't think it's Java, do you have any idea what has happened?

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 2:01AM GMT
What version of Chrome? Did it just recently have an update?

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 2:31AM GMT
Chrome version is 28.0.1500.71. I have uninstalled chrome and reinstalled it and that doesn't make any difference to the problem!

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 2:44AM GMT
That version was released within the last three days so there could well be something in it that doesn't play well with Ancestry.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic