Search for content in message boards

Janet Menzies

Janet Menzies

Posted: 8 Jul 2007 11:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for info on Janet Menzies. She was married to Robert Menzies. Date 21 June 1878. Have them being married in Coalville. I know they were divorced. Any info would be helpful

Re: Janet Menzies

Posted: 9 Jul 2007 3:55AM GMT
Hello
I have found a little info about Janet Wilson Menzies, She was granted a divorce from Robert Menzies, It was published in the Eastern Utah Advocate newspaper Feb 21 1901, all it states was that a divorce granted to Robert Menzies by district court.
She is also listed on the 1900 census in Coalville Utah, as head of household with her 6 children, it states she came to usa with three oldest children in 1887 from Scotland - gave birth to 8 kids with 6 living.

Her death date is listed as OCT 1901 On the LDS Family search site.
I found her listed in two Park City news paper in a article called "30 years ago". it list divorce being granted 30 years ago in the first one i (just that one line,)

Another article in this same paper for the following month, has the following article in there "30 years ago " section. this paper was dated Feb 5 1932: " Mrs Jessie
(Janet) McRae Formerly Mrs Menzies died at Scofield last Sunday. The remains were brought to Coalville tues night for burial,and the funeral was held at the Stake Tabernacle yesterday afternoon. Deceased was a resident of this place for many years, moving with her husband to Scofield about three years ago. A year ago she secured a divorce from MR Menzies and later married William McRae."( end of article)

Roberts death certificate on line, list him as a widower that was married to a Janette Wilson Menzies. I am sure that should be Janet as her maiden name was Wilson .
hope this helps you Melba, Riverside Ca

Posted: 25 Apr 2011 3:42PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Menzies
I know this reply comes 4 years after the original post; perhaps you will still find it interesting. Janet (pronounced Janette, but they called her Jessie) Wilson Menzies was my great grandmother. She came from Glasgow via Liverpool in 1887 on the SS Nevada (October) and then by train to Ogden and then to Carbon county. According to her granddaughter, Lois Roberta Menzies, she "took up with a polygamist" in her 40s, divorced husband Robert from whom she'd been separated for about three years, and married the other. She became pregnant by him and died along with the baby due to complications (bleeding) during pregnancy. This information came to Lois second hand from her Aunt Pearl who was Janet and Robert's daugther. This information may be a little suspect. Pearl was 10 at the time. After Janet's death, Robert came and got the three little girls, Violet, Pearl and Nellie but left 16 year old son James' clothes hanging on the back of the door. James lived on his own from that time and is Lois' father and my grandfather.

Posted: 27 May 2011 8:53AM GMT
This is exciting information. Robert and Janet were my great-grand-parents. My grandmother was Violet Menzies Johnson. Clarence "Red" Johnson was my dad. I have been trying to find where in the Coalville cemetry they are laid to rest. Does anybody know the graves location?

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 5:03AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
My mom's first cousin took a photo of a Janet and Robert Menzies grave stone and put it in her Menzies genealogy research. To my knowledge, this is not the Robert Menzies that is our ancestor. FYI, the gravestone data is this:
Janet W. Menzies born March 24, 1857, died October 6, 1901.
Robert Menzies born May 13, 1857 and died October 10, 1933.
Attachments:

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 2:36PM GMT
Thank you very much! This is my great grandfather and grandmother. After what my Aunt Lois had to say, I kind of surprised and happy to find them buried in the same spot.

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 6:48PM GMT
You're very welcome. I don't know why this photo is in "our" Menzies book ... maybe we are related. Main thing is this: I had the scan of the photo to share with you. My pleasure.

Posted: 3 Nov 2011 9:15PM GMT
Anyone know who owns that plot now? Presuably it was originally a child - "mother" and "father" are written on the top - but they have all passed away and owndership will have been handed down to their children (or grandchildren).

I am also a Robert Menzies. My great-grandfather, Thomas Ross Menzies (1859-1944), was RM's (1857-1933) brother.

Posted: 3 Nov 2011 10:08PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2011 10:09PM GMT
I have learned since my 26 Jun 2011 posting that the grave marker photograph was in with family photographs and papers that my mom's first cousin inherited from her dad (Harold Gordon Menzies) ... and he had a lot of photographs that he had from his mother (Celia Blanche [Smith] Menzies). We do not know why "we" have this photograph as we have not been able to trace any of the Menzies in our tree to the Janet and Robert Menzies family tree. We think that someone saw the marker, took a photo, and gave it to "our" ancestors, thinking that there was a close relationship. There may be but we have not found it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions