Search for content in message boards

grass brothers from Switzerland

grass brothers from Switzerland

Posted: 27 Oct 2000 8:48AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2004 10:32AM GMT
I'm searching for two Grass brothers born in the 1860's in Klosters (Switzerland) who emigrated to the States via Genoa around 1875-1885. Their parents were called Johannes Maria Magdalena. A cousin of theirs, Katrina Guler(born Grass) emigrated to Fargo N.D. around same time, maybe they met up. One seems to have been sent up to Canada (sentence) where he died in a fist-fight. does anyone know anything about these men???

Re: grass brothers from Switzerland

Gina Goetschius (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2002 8:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Goetschy-Goetschi-Goetschius ( Gutchess )
Hi thier kissing cousin....

I am doing some serious , extensive research on Goetschius
Family Line. Johannes/Johan/John, Hienrich/Hendrick/Henry
Goetschi/Goetschius Born March 4th or 8th 1712. in Bernack
St Gall , Switzerland. Magadalena " Maria " Christy was his 3rd wife. They married Dec 9th 1773 in Hackensack, NJ
( Bergen County ). Alot of people refered to Johannes Henricus to various names as they were americanized. So it is a bit confusing. I dont know which cousins on who's side you are referring to. I am assuming its Christy's side ?

Let me know we can compare notes. I will have more of a definative answer when my cert. copies get here.

Hope this helps,
Gina Goetschius

Posted: 22 May 2002 10:28AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2004 10:32AM GMT
hi Gina, thanx for note. I am Swiss and am looking for 2 ancestors on my mom's side who emigrated to the States. Since I posted the message I know names+birth dates Christian Grass (12Dec1858) and Josua (09Jan1864). But you are refering to my dad's side, the Goetschi. His ancestors come from a small place called Galmiz in the Fribourg province, he dated them back to around 1550. However I don't know of any of them leaving for the States. St.Gall is on the opposite side of Switzerland so our two Goetschi clans may not be (directly) related..but never know. It's a rare name in Switzerland, but there seem to be 2-3 strongholds. We don't know what it means either. Good luck!

Gina Goetschius (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2002 7:17PM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2005 1:45PM GMT
Surnames: Goetschi
Hi Annina,

We are connected in Switzerland. St. Gall, Bernack was the birth, death and marital grounds that they survived on.

Who was your father >? or your ancestors from Switzerland ?
As far back as I have gone , has led me to Lazarus Goetschi
born approx 1500. Some has posted that thier was a Henry/Henricus Goetschy/Goetschi that was a mayor of Zurich in the 1300's. I havent come across anything factual,
but I did note it. I am still searching. I am waiting for a truck load of information that I have a geneaologist working on
and maybe that will answer some of the missing pieces.

Love your cousin from the other side of the tree,
Gina

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 3:41AM GMT
Surnames: Guler, Grass
We have a Katrina Grass Guler in our family who was married to Hans Guler, from Klosters Switzerland. Our Katrina or alternate spelling Katherina was born 1847. Her father was Steffan Grass(1815-1882) and mother Margreth Margadant(1811-1892). They had a son Christian or Christ who was my grandfather. Other children included Margaretha (maggie) Guler, Hans (John) Guler, Stephen Guler, Peter Guler, Anna Marie Mary Guler. Katrina also had siblings named Christian, Anna, Margreth, Maria.

Posted: 20 Feb 2009 3:44PM GMT
thanks for your post! Katrina is the cousin of the brothers I'm looking for. So we are distantly related via Katrina's grand-parents : Christian Grass (1792-1881) and Anna Hemmi (1792 - 1866). The grand-child of Anna Mary Guler (so another distant cousin) has posted and impressive tree online, it goes back to Hans Grass (1627-1696) and Anna Ruedi (1628-1695)!!! see chezbabcock.com
He had sent me a photo of the Hans Guler family.
I have also found a 1900 census from North Dakota where they're listed, all very interesting. Let me know if and where I could send you further info?
Annina.

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: Guler Grass
My email is debbelquist@hotmail.com. I am interested in any and all information on the Guler Grass Family tree.

Re: brothers from Switzerland

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 4:49AM GMT
Surnames: Goetschius, Holman, Zabriskie,Christy
3 books for Goetschi/Goetschius are Zabriskie Family by Olin Zabriskie (1963) and Goetschius/Goetcheus by William Heidgerd. (about same date) Some recent trees at ancestry.com and rootsweb.com also. The Swiss to America Diary (1734-36) by Ruth and William Heidgerd - title "The Goetschy Family and the Limping Messenger" (1968). More info in various church histories and Mercury/ ship's log.

Posted: 25 Aug 2010 5:37AM GMT
Surnames: Grass, Hemmi, Ruedi
Hi Annina.I see its been a long time since you posted looking for info on Grass brothers. I was wondering which brothers you were looking for as I believe my gr gr.grandfather (Josias 24 Oct 1822 - 10 May 1861)was one of the brothers (7 brothers, 5 sisters)Parents Chistian Grass and Anna Hemmi.Let me know if I can help-also have some pictures. I am looking for info on Anna Hemmi's family and
any info going back to Hans Grass (1627) and Anna Ruedi's(1628) families or dates and origins.Also anything on Hans Grass& wife Anna Marugg - son Chistian (Jan 1736 & married
Catherine Dicht 1766)all Klosters Sereneus area. Thank you.Diane

Posted: 25 Aug 2010 8:46AM GMT
Surnames: Grass, Hemmi, Ruedi, Guler
hello Diane! Your Josias is the uncle of the Josias (+Christian) I'm looking for! We are related through Anna Hemmi & Christian Grass. I would love to see your photos - pls send to annina1972(at)yahoo.com
I will then reply with my photo of my gr-gr-grand-father Heinrich (nephew of your Josias). Are you living in the US? Did your Josias emigrate to the US? Whereto?
Much of the info up to Hans Grass (1627) and Anna Ruedi's(1628)I have from another distant cousin of ours who posted his tree on chezbabcock.com . He descends from Anna Hemmi & Christian Grass via son Stefan Grass's daughter Katharina (Grass) Guler who emigrated to the US.
I have most birth, marriage and death dates of the persons you mention, is that what you need?
Annina
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions