Search for content in message boards

Ezra Gilbert will

Ezra Gilbert will

Ginny Gilbert Day (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Gilbert, Hitchcock, Newcomb, Hurlbut, Minor
Will of Ezra Gilbert (b. 23 May 1726 Hebron, CT. d. Sept. 1805, Warren, CT. - m. (1)Mrs. Hannah Rust- no children, (2) Mary Hurlbut (dau of Joseph Hurlbut- Martha Scott)-10 children, (3)Rebeckah Minor-1 child.

GILBERT, EZRA (23 May, 1726 - Sept. 1805)

Transcription of will of Ezra Gilbert from Probate Court, District of Litchfield, Connecticut

Volume 8, pp. 52-55, also inventory p. 82

pp.52
At a Court of Probate holden at Litchfield, within and for the District of Litchfield, Oct. 4th A.D. 1805.

Present

Frederick Wolcott Esq. Judge

The last Will and Testament of Ezra Gilbert
late of Warren in said District, deceased, was presented to this Court by the Executor therein named and being proved according to law was established by this Court, and it was ordered that it be recorded & kept on file.--
At the same time, John Tallmadge Esq. Of said Warren, who is appointed Executor of said Will, accepted the Trust of executing the same– and the said John as principal, & Benja, Tallmadge, Esq. Of said Litchfield, as his Surity, became bound to this Court in the

pp.53
the (sic) final sum of $2000– to secure the faithful & legal execution of the duties of said trust as per bond on file.--
At the same time eight months were allowed the said Executor for the settlement of said estate.

At the same time Platt (?) Starr & Homer Sarkett of said Warren, Freeholders, were appointed Appraisers on said estate, to make a just and impartial valuation thereof.--

At the same time the Widow of said deceased expressed to this Court her desire that said Will might be approved & established & her consent to take the property therein given her in lieu of ___ ____
of Dower– in the words following– vizt. "These certify that I do hereby signify my approbation of the last Will & Testament of my late Husband Ezra Gilbert, dec'd. & my willingness & consent that the said will should be confirmed. In witness whereof I have here unto set my hand at Warren this 23rd day of September 1805.

Rebeckah Gilbert
Present: Laura Gilbert

John Tallmadge

EZRA GILBERT'S Will--------

I Ezra Gilbert in the County of Litchfield and State of Connecticut, being of a
sound mind & memory, but calling to mind the mortallity (sic) of my body, do make and ordain this to be my last Will & Testament. Vizt.
Imprionis (?), I will that all my Debts, funeral charges, & Costs of settling my estate be paid by my Executor or Executors, out of the money that I may leave at my decease, or that may be due on obligations which I may then have.--

Item. I give and bequeath unto my loving Wife Rebeckah Gilbert, the bed and its furniture, together with all other articcles of household furniture which she the said Rebeckah brought with her at our marriage- one Chest of Drawers, one Chest & all the Chairs, now in use in the house.-- also one bay four year old horse which I now possess, to be her absolute property forever.--

I also give my said Wife for her use and improvement during the time she shall remain my Widow, & no longer, one Cow for milk each summer, one spare bed & its furniture, the Shovel & Tongs now in use;-- also the use of the East room in the dwelling house, & the Chamber over said room with the use of the Kitchen & Cellar as may be necessary for family business in common with the rest of the family.-- I do also give unto my said Wife to be furnished

pp.54
furnished to her by my son Samuel Gilbert annually for her support at the place of my present dwelling and as long as she remains my Widow, two bushels of Wheat, Eight bushels of Rye, two bushels of Corn, sixty pounds of Pork, forty pounds of beef, twelve pounds of flax, & six pounds of Wool- all goods merchantable, and at those seasons of the year when the several articles are laid up, or wanted for family use, also her fire wood- also the keeping of her home by my said Son Samuel– The foregoing legacy to be in lieu of her third of my real estate & all other legal claims ______.

Item . I give and bequeath unto my Son Samuel Gilbert all my estate both real and personal which I may die possessed of at my decease excepting the horses & neat Cattle, the Cash & obligations which I then have- and such articles as I may have given by this my Will to my said Wife– I also order and direct that my said Son Samuel Gilbert shall furnish for my said Wife annually as above expressed, two bushels of Wheat, eight bushels of Rye, two bushels of Corn, sixty pounds of Pork, forty pounds of beef, twelve pounds of flax, six pounds of Wool & her fire wood , to furnish & keep for her use
one Cow for milk & to keep her home during the term of time she shall remain my Widow and no longer.--

I do also order my said Son Samuel Gilbert to pay to James Tendall (Kendall?) Twelve pounds in young Cattle with Interest for the two last years- when he shall come to the age of twenty-one years- provided the said James will accept the same in lieu of the six pounds now due to him from me- said James to be paid from said Samuel's part of the estate.---

Item - I further will that all the money which I have on hand at my decease, together with the avails of all obligations which I may then have, for money, after paying herefrom all my just Debts, (except that due to the said James Tendall) Funeral Charges & Cost of settling my estates, & paying for a pair of Tomb Stones for myself, be equally divided between my Sons Heber Gilbert, Ezra Gilbert, Joseph Gilbert and my Daughter Molly Newcomb.--

Item - I further will that all the horses & neat Cattle (excepting the

pp. 55
the horse given to my said Wife) be equally divided between my Sons Trueman Gilbert, Jabez Gilbert, Warner Gilbert, Samuel Gilbert and my Daughter Mercy Hitchcock.--- Those articles given to my said Wife for her use, during the time she shall remain my Widow, shall at the expiration of said term of time, be the property of my said Son Samuel.---

Item . I will also that all my wearing apparrel be equally divided amongst my Sons Heber, Ezra, & Joseph.--

And I the said Ezra Gilbert, do hereby nominate and appoint John Tallmadge of said Warren, my sole Executor to this my last Will & Testament,-- In testimony whereof I have here unto set my hand at Warren this 16th day of April 1799- & in presence of
these Witnesses.--
Signed sealed & delivered by the Testator
as his last Will & Testament, in presence of
vizt. John Tallmadge

Roger Hitchcock

Allen Gaylord. ---- Ezra Gilbert. Seal

pp. 82
At the same Court, the Executor of the Will of Ezra Gilbert, late of Warren in said District, dec'd
exhibited an Inventory of the personal estate of the dec'd which was accepted & it was ordered that it be recorded & kept on file,---

Ezra Gilbert's Inventory.--
We the Subscribers being appointed by the Honble Court of Probate for the District of Litchfield; to appraise the Estate of Ezra Gilbert, late of Warren, dec'd; have this day proceeded on such business, having been sworn as the law directs, & have appraised the following Articles as follows- Vizt.
Total amount (as per Inventory on file) _______________________ $374.64

Oct. 5th, AD. 1805

Platt Starr

Homer Sackett Appraisers

Re: Ezra Gilbert will

Posted: 23 Nov 2008 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilbert, Minor
Ginny,

Thanks for posting Ezra Gilbert of Warren's 1799 will.

Can you tell me when Ezra's son Samuel was born? When did Ezra marry Rebeckah Minor? Which child was the child of Ezra & Rebeckah?

Thanks so much!

Judi

Re: Ezra Gilbert will

Posted: 28 Dec 2013 1:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
James (the only "non-family member") who received cattle in the will is probably James Pendal, most likely the son of widow Mary Pendal whose husband was supposedly Benoni Pendal. Mary lived in Warren in 1790 and 1800. The 1800 census would indicate that Mary and her family lived next to the Gilberts though nothing in the 1798 Direct Tax shows a Mary Pendal (not sure if that's due to incomplete records or that she didn't own the land). Mary and her adult children later moved west to upstate NY…first Utica area then Batavia.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic