Search for content in message boards

Gardner in St. Clair Co. Missouri

Gardner in St. Clair Co. Missouri

Bob Gardner (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2000 7:31AM GMT
Looking for any descendants of two Gardner brothers that migrated from Campbell county, Virginia to St. Clair County, Missouri. James D.(b.1820, d.1904 married Charlotte Allen) and Robert F. Gardner (b. 1807, d.1861, married Susan Beck), sons of John Gardner and Betsy Finch of Campbell Co., Virginia. They are both mentioned in the two biographies on Gardners in the St. Clair County Website. I am interested in any information on the parents of these two. I don't yet know of any will of John or Betsy Gardner, or where they are buried. Also, John is mentioned in the biographies as being born in Scotland, but have found no evidence as to where he came from or who his parents are. Willing to share information. Any help much appreciated.

Gardner

Rich (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2001 12:15AM GMT
I am a descendant of James D and Charlotte Allen. I don't have much on this family. In fact the only way I know James and Charlotte is that they were on my GGreatmothers (Harriett) death Cert listed as her parents. As for the children of James and Charlotte, I have Harriett and William T. Do you know if there was more? I would like to hear about this family if you have more info. I can give you the info from Charlotte to present if you want. I look forward to hearing from you.
Rich

John Gardner and Betsy Finch Children

Bob Gardner (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2001 6:25AM GMT
Hello Rich,
John Gardner was born ca. 1750 in either Scotland or England. Married Elizabeth "Betsy" Finch in Campbell Co. Virginia on March 11, 1794. They had at least five children. Two of their sons left Virginia and moved to St. Clair County, Missouri. The others remained in Virginia. Their known children are:
1. Lumina "Lummie" Gardner b. ca. 1802 married Joseph Wood in 1820
2. Robert F. Gardner b. August 7, 1807 in Campbell Co. Va., moved to St. Clair County, Missouri around 1840. Married Susan D. Beck of the Pittsylvania Co. Va. Becks. Robert died October 1861 in St. Clair Co. Missouri.
3. William Finch Gardner (my gg-grandfather) b. Oct. 13, 1813 in Campbell Co. Va., d. March 23, 1873 in Pittsylvania Co. Va. married Martha Jane Shelhorse b. Nov. 24, 1822 d. July 7, 1874 in Pittsylvania Co. They were married Dec. 19, 1839.
4. Mary Gardner b. ca. 1817, married Lemuel R. Oakes (I have a lot on the Oakes family)
5. James D. Gardner b. April 15, 1820 in Campbell Co. Va., d. Aug. 13, 1904 in St. Clair Co.Mo. He married Charlotte Temple Allen on Feb. 24, 1853. She was b. Henry County Va. July 4, 1832 d. Oct. 9, 1886 in St. Clair Co. Mo. I have their children as:
Harriett Jones Gardner b. ca. 1856 married Taylor Wheeden.
William Finch Gardner b. July 21, 1861 d. Oct. 10, 1931 all in St. Clair Co. Mo. He married (1) Clara Luella Frazier b. 1874 in Granola Kansas d. 1935. Married (2)Catherine Ellen Tillery on Oct. 26, 1884. There were 4 children born to each marriage.

Let me direct you to this site for two biographies, one on your James D. and another longer one on his nephew, J. Wade, son of Robert F. The site is: www.rootsweb.com~mohenry/biohome.htm Once there, scroll down to their names.

I have a few more details in a family file at home I can send via e-mail. I would be interested in receiving anything you have on Harriet Gardner Wheeden's line.

Bob Gardner

James D. children

Bob Gardner (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2001 6:30AM GMT
I forgot to mention two more children of James D. Gardner and Charlotte T. Allen.

Martha Elizabeth, b. 8/29/1858 d. 11/23/1876
and
Mary Ellen, b. 3/8/1860 d. 7/8/1860

Gardner

Rich (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2001 9:51AM GMT
Hi Bob,
Thanks for replying so quick. Boy, you gave me alot of information, I appreciate it. After reading your first post, I went to the St Clair site and read the biographies and then I went to to Polk county site and reasd the biographies on the Devin family, Mary Devin was married to J. Wade Grdner. So that worked out real well.
Here is what I have on Harriett -
She was married to Sherwood Taylor Weeden on 18 Dec 1873 in St Clair Co. Sherwood was born 1845 in Osage Co. Mo. toTyra Weeden and Emily Giles, both from Virginia. Sherwood had six other siblings(Ican fill you in on this family too if you'd like). Sherwood and Harriett had 5 children -
William Theodore b. 1876 in St. Clair d. 17 Jan 1921 in San Jose, CA.
James T. b. 1878 in St. Clair Co
Elizabeth S. b. Feb 1880 in St. Clair
Burd E. b. 17 Oct 1882 in St. Clair
Emily Ethel b. 13 Jul 1888 in St. Clair
Sherwood served with the 12th Mo. Cav Co. H. He was wounded in Nashville, shot through the forearm and hip. I h ave his military and pension records. About 1890 or so, they settled in Shelbyville, Shelby, Mo. and started farming. Although Sherwood couldn't do much, it was William and James who did all the work. Sherwood died 23 Apr 1891 on the farm in Shelbyville. Sometime between then and Harriett's death in 22 Oct 1914 - Harriett and William relocated to San Jose, CA. Harriett's body was shipped back to Sheby Co for burial on the Weeden farm, presumably next to Sherwood. William married Francis Florence Castro, and they had three children -
Sherwood Theodore b. 1918
and twins, Hazel and Margaret b. Jan 1921. William was killed 1 week after the twins were born whe he was hit by a truck in San Jose, CA. Hazel is my grandmother. I will send you a link to website where you can view Harriett's death cert and Sherwoods Civil War records. I don't want to broadcast it right now, because it is not done and I will be moving it to another IP address next week. There are parts of the site that are not functional. Once again thanks very much and I hope that I was able to fill you in on some new information.
Rich

email

Rich (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2001 9:53AM GMT
Could you send me your email and I'll send you the link to my site.
Mine is richistory@home.com
Thanks,
Rich
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions