John Gardner was born ca. 1750 in either Scotland or England. Married Elizabeth "Betsy" Finch in Campbell Co. Virginia on March 11, 1794. They had at least five children. Two of their sons left Virginia and moved to St. Clair County, Missouri. The others remained in Virginia. Their known children are:
1. Lumina "Lummie" Gardner b. ca. 1802 married Joseph Wood in 1820
2. Robert F. Gardner b. August 7, 1807 in Campbell Co. Va., moved to St. Clair County, Missouri around 1840. Married Susan D. Beck of the Pittsylvania Co. Va. Becks. Robert died October 1861 in St. Clair Co. Missouri.
3. William Finch Gardner (my gg-grandfather) b. Oct. 13, 1813 in Campbell Co. Va., d. March 23, 1873 in Pittsylvania Co. Va. married Martha Jane Shelhorse b. Nov. 24, 1822 d. July 7, 1874 in Pittsylvania Co. They were married Dec. 19, 1839.
4. Mary Gardner b. ca. 1817, married Lemuel R. Oakes (I have a lot on the Oakes family)
5. James D. Gardner b. April 15, 1820 in Campbell Co. Va., d. Aug. 13, 1904 in St. Clair Co.Mo. He married Charlotte Temple Allen on Feb. 24, 1853. She was b. Henry County Va. July 4, 1832 d. Oct. 9, 1886 in St. Clair Co. Mo. I have their children as:
Harriett Jones Gardner b. ca. 1856 married Taylor Wheeden.
William Finch Gardner b. July 21, 1861 d. Oct. 10, 1931 all in St. Clair Co. Mo. He married (1) Clara Luella Frazier b. 1874 in Granola Kansas d. 1935. Married (2)Catherine Ellen Tillery on Oct. 26, 1884. There were 4 children born to each marriage.
Let me direct you to this site for two biographies, one on your James D. and another longer one on his nephew, J. Wade, son of Robert F. The site is: www.rootsweb.com~mohenry/biohome.htm
Once there, scroll down to their names.
I have a few more details in a family file at home I can send via e-mail. I would be interested in receiving anything you have on Harriet Gardner Wheeden's line.