Search for content in message boards

ORIGIN OF NAME DAVIS

ORIGIN OF NAME DAVIS

Posted: 3 Apr 2002 12:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know the cultural background of the Davis name? I was under the impression that it was an English name. Anyone?

peace

Re: ORIGIN OF NAME DAVIS

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 7:53PM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2003 4:11AM GMT
Try going to a web site:

http://www.geocities.com/tp_davis/Davisheraldry2.html

I found three coats of arms on the Davis name.
Northamptonshire, England
Scots Heraldic Style
Spanish Heraldic Style

This might be a clue!

I am working on several Davis lines of course, with it being such a common name. My great and great great grandfathers were Steamboat Captains on the Cheseapeake Bay. They were from Va and Md area.

Good Luck! BJ

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 8:38PM GMT
Surnames: Davis
Bj;
My grandma was JC Davis, she lives in Va, and was one of 21 kids. Dads cousin Melvin says that she is from England. If you hear anything please let me know that is all I know.
Cynthia

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 11:35PM GMT
Edited: 3 May 2002 6:26PM GMT
I was always told that my Davis line in Virginia originated with two brothers who came over from Wales.

Joe Davis (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2002 1:55AM GMT
The surname of DAVIS is Welsh, and it comes from the Patron Saint of Wales, DAVID. This come from a booklet, the history and orgin of the DAVIS/DAVIES surname. Unable to locate my source for the exact name and author. I will keep looking and send an up-date message.

Cynthia (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2002 4:24AM GMT
Joe;
Thanks! I am not arguing. I do not know. I know only what my cousin told me and I dont know how he knows anything. I have been really trying starting a few weeks ago. I hope to find out more.

Cynthia (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2002 4:28AM GMT
Debbie;
I hope you are right for your sake. I only know my dads cousin said that my dads mom and the 12 other kids named Davis came from England and that it was an English name. I have asked Grandma, but she dosnt care, and never has; heck she dosnt even know who is my grandfather. I am tired of not being able to find anything. I know he said that we have a coat of arms from England also.
Thanks.
Cynthia

Posted: 5 Apr 2002 3:03PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2006 9:24PM GMT
hello,

my boyfriend's last name is Davis and his family originated from Muskingum County in the 1800's. We are trying to find where they came from before that but we are not having any luck. We got back to William Davis born 1797-1800 place unknown married Mary Catherine Stamets/Staymates in Licking County in 1827. They then went to Muskingum County to have their family and William died in 1841. Mary remarried in 1842 to Jonas Lovitt and they moved to Iowa. Someone had told me before that his William Davis father was William also, but haven't see anything yet that is checks out. Would you happen to know of anything about the Davis family or would you be starting to maybe research this line? hope to hear from ya.

jamie

iRe: ORIGIN OF NAME DAVIS

Posted: 5 Apr 2002 7:12PM GMT
i assumed it was welsh was told my davis were indian welsh cannot find anything on them other than names isaac herbert otto robert ruth mary from indiana HELP

Re: iRe: ORIGIN OF NAME DAVIS

Posted: 6 Apr 2002 1:10PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2005 8:53PM GMT
Surnames: Davis-Culler
I have had alot of different people tell me that the Davis' were from England and Wales. Alot of people that were from England migrated to Wales. My father's people were from England. At least that's what I was told.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions