Search for content in message boards

Conner Cherokee connection

Conner Cherokee connection

Posted: 8 Jun 2002 1:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Conner/Ballew/Ballou
I am looking for the Cherokee connection with my ggrandmother, Rebecca Conner, daughter of James & Harriet Conner, who was born about 1840 in SC. She died when my grandfather was very young and he was raised by her parents. His name was James Robert Ballew, which he later changed to Ballou. He always said his mother was Indian. Thanks, Elladean Ballou Brigham

Re: Conner Cherokee connection

Posted: 13 Dec 2002 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: Conner
My Conner roots are from GA. My GreatGrandmother, Minnie Keen (b.10-9-1885 d.7-20-79) was Cherokee, she married Edmond Layfayette Conner (b.1-4-1882 d. 11-18-1935). I was told that we were part of the Cherokee that stayed on in Georgia, forgoing the trip to Oklahoma. I have beautiful portraits of her, in her teens and then as an elderly adult.

Posted: 13 Dec 2002 8:12PM GMT
I meant to say as well, that Edmond Lafayette Conner was part Cherokee as well...duh...

Elladean Ballou Brigham (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2002 9:31PM GMT
Surnames: Conner/Ballou/Ballew
Thank you, Tracy. Do you know who Edmund's parents were? My great-grandfather was James Conner, born in SC about 1801, and his wife's name was Harriet, also born in SC, about 1812. Don't know her maiden name. The only children I know of are Rebecca and Elizabeth, but I'm sure they had others.

Posted: 14 Dec 2002 12:27AM GMT
Edmond Lafayette Conner's father was Howard Gassmer Conner. Edmond and Minnie had 9 children living in Cedar Crossing, GA. My Dad has a lineage, I've asked him to send to me. Email me directly, and I can share the info once I have received it. merrinfamily@earthlink.net

Posted: 10 Sep 2004 9:22AM GMT
Surnames: conner,collins
i too am looking for the connection i was told all my life from my dad his grandfather was half cherokee .my granda dad was james henry conner and at one time spelled connor .his wife was melvina collins fromsc or nc . i do know he had a sister sally conner and others im working on it now a big help is www.//rootsweb.com family trees.if i find anything ill share .thanks for your time cindy

Posted: 18 Jul 2009 3:28PM GMT
Thank you, Cindy. I would really appreciate more information. We visited SC several years ago, and I read in a book in their library that some Cherokees used the Oconnee name and anglicized it by making it either Conner or Connor. I wonder if that's what our ancestors did.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic