Search for content in message boards

Pickaway Co Clifton's With Ross Co Connections

Pickaway Co Clifton's With Ross Co Connections

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 6:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clifton, Van Buskirk
This Clifton family was in Pickaway Co OH for at least 50 years. I am hoping someone may have information about them. I believe Margaret is the mother of these Cliftons. They were all born in Delaware where there is a will of Obediah Smith stating his daughter, Margaret Clifton's children.

Listed in the will are: Job,Benjamin,Charles,John,Judah,and Smith Clifton. Is this the Pickaway Co family? There is a Margaret Clifton age 100 in Pickaway Co OH. Who was her husband? Job Clifton married Ann VanBuskirk and Juda Clifton married John VanBuskirk, both in Ross Co before Pickaway was formed.

There must be some records for these folks as they lived there for so long. Perhaps cemetery records would tell some of the relationships. Any clues or help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Pickaway Co Clifton's With Ross Co Connections

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 12:07AM GMT
Surnames: Carroll Good VanBuskirk Rodgers Burch Holyman
Pat: The Carroll, Good VanBuskirk & Clifton's are all connected Ross Co., OH. There are Carroll marriages in 1797 Ross Co., OH. Maybe they all came together to Ohio.

This probably won't help much:
Daniel Clifton, b abt. 1828 m Eliza Ann RODGERS
Eliza A. Clifton b 1850 m William J. Carroll, Jr.
Gertrude VanBuskirk m James Holyman
John VanBuskirk, b abt 1820 m Lydia Elizabeth GOOD
Richard VanBuskirk, abt. 1835 m Eliza Anna GOOD , abt 1835
Estella Violet VanBuskirk m Alvin Sylvester Burch

Posted: 19 Aug 2007 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: Clifton-Van Buskirk
I have traced Ohio Clifton's to Job and Ann. Their marriage on 25 April 1808 Ross county Oh is found on LDS site
(International Genealogical Index). Their son Daniel ,b 1826 Pickaway Co d 1 Jan 1865, married Sarah Elizabeth Burk 12 Jan 1845 in Pickaway Co Oh (marriage info from same LDS source). She was b 17 May 1825 d 28 Mar 1863. She is buried in Greenbrier Cemetery near Glenmore Oh. I have a picture of her grave stone. Others of their family are also buried there. Daniel died at Camp Dennison near Cincinnati Oh was buried there, but later reburied in Spring Grove Cemetery on 4 July 1869, soldiers section 21-lot c15. Daniel was a member of H Co 15th Reg O V I. Job Clifton is my ggggrandfather. I have read, but not verified Job and Benjamin were surveyors in Ross Co Oh. I have not been able to find Job's parents or siblings. Is this any help? See Clifton Family Tree at Ancestry.com for more detail

Posted: 19 Aug 2007 5:10PM GMT
Surnames: Clifton, Van Buskirk, Smith
The Job Clifton that is a brother to Juda Clifton Van Buskirk is the one that married Ann Van Buskirk. The will of Obediah Smith, mentioned in my origianl post, pretty much proves to me that Job and Juda Clifton are the children of Benjamin and Margaret Smith Clifton. It also mentions the other children of this couple in 1797, the time of the will. At least it seems more than we can ever prove any other way, with records being a sscarce as they are for that time period.

Posted: 5 Mar 2010 4:16PM GMT
I have Juda Clifton married to John VanBuskirk Jr. 12Feb 1894/1807. I have Benjimen Clifton and Margaret Smith as her parents. I have seven children born to Juda and John, Michael,Sussana,Mary,unknown,Morris,Henry and William.
I have Job Clifton married to Ann VanBuskirk.

Database: Ohio Census, 1790-1890 August 10, 2005 2:33 PM

Personal Information What to do next?

Name: JOHN VANBUSKIRK
State: OH
County: Ross County
Township: No Township Listed
Year: 1807
Record Type: Tax list
Page: 038
Database: OH Early Census Index
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions