Search for content in message boards

Splitting a tree

Splitting a tree

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 3:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
The tree I have created has become too large. I would like to separate the four family groups into smaller trees.

Can I do this and if so how.

Thank you.

Re: Splitting a tree

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 3:56PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2013 3:57PM GMT
You need to use software on your own computer to split a tree. You can't do it via Ancestry.com. Family Tree Maker is one program that will do it and it can link to your Ancestry.com tree. There may be others that can split your tree, though I haven't used any others myself.

Barbara

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 4:52PM GMT
I thought may be I could just duplicate it three times, with new names for each tree and then lop off the parts that I don't want.

I was planning to purchasing Family Tree Maker any way.

Thank you for your help.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 5:07PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2013 5:10PM GMT
The next version of FTM is due very soon (days to weeks versus months). You may want to wait.

FTM has two options:

1) Export four times the four datasets, if they are "clean" ancestors and descendants - with no peripheral relatives - eg parents of spouses, other spouses, spouses of spouses, stepchildren, etc. won't be included in the respective datasets. This is done at File > Export.

2) Use the Extended Family Chart, where you can catch virtually all peripheral relatives, and export the four branches in four exports - or you can export and delete the first three datasets, leaving the initial dataset with the fourth branch at the end. (do only to a copy of your file and media folder). This is done at Publish > Extended Family Chart > uncheck the "include everybody in this file" box. You will want to detach as appropriate to create the export dataset as an "island" of a group of people to export.

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 12:14AM GMT
Looking at the several threads from this poster, I am seeing

1 - 2 days ago, brand new, could not find records for anyone in his family "can't get search to work"

2 - slightly later, "I'm away filling up the tree."

3 - today "The tree I have created has become too large."

Unless "too large" is 25 people, it appears you may be copying from other trees, rather than from source records.

May I respectfully suggest that you slow down and build a tree, one baby step at a time.

If I am incorrect, my apologies, but I have seen this many times.

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 2:50AM GMT
Brand new??? Profile shows joined 2003!

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 6:16AM GMT
Edited: 22 Aug 2013 6:18AM GMT
There are two profiles. wlillycrop and william_lillycrop53

One is since 2003, one is since 2013

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 10:31AM GMT
Lasted about 2 or 3 months, and then left. Haven't been back since.

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 10:33AM GMT
wlillycrop is the one I used in 2003. After several months I quit but then returned using the same profile.

lillycrop53 happened when I went to reply to a message and didn't realize I hadn't signed in. I received the message and then clicked the lick, thinking it had logged me in when it didn't.

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 10:37AM GMT
1. Have been on this site 10 years ago. Only lasted 2 or 3 months then quit. Came back but couldn't get it to work. Sorry.

2. Have had a whole day to work on this, so have had lots of time to populate my tree. Working on four families.

3. While the number of people may not have been large then, I was finding it very confusing, so wanted to split it into four families to make it easier to view and work with. Sorry.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic