Search for content in message boards

Upcoming changes to the Message Boards

Upcoming changes to the Message Boards

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 11:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Several weeks ago we made some changes to the message boards. Because of technical issues and your feedback, we decided to pull back these updates until we could be confident they were ready for the public. Since then we’ve worked hard to fix the bugs you reported and address your usability issues. We’re now ready to reintroduce these changes early next week. The most visible change is the overall look of the Boards pages. They are part of the global visual updates designed to improve page performance and responsiveness, and achieve a consistent look and feel. Moving forward, icons will replace text links for Reply, Report Abuse, Delete, Move Message, and categories folders. Additionally, “Begin New Thread” is at the top right of the board rather than the top left. Admins’ delete functionalities are consistently working. The preview page will accurately reflect formatting and in the near future we’ll resume weekly board indexing. Also, investigation is underway to determine the cause of the sporadic general error messages that crop up when trying to post, reply, and delete.
If you have feedback regarding these changes, or encounter any difficulties with the boards or admin functions once it launches, please let us know by sending a message to boards@ancestry.com.

Re: Upcoming changes to the Message Boards

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 11:13PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2013 11:23PM GMT
Will next week's version be ready for prime-time, unlike what was rolled out earlier today? (Screen shot attached.)
Attachments:

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 11:13PM GMT
I hope your crackerjack team is prepared for all the negative comments that will be coming, because we really don't WANT or NEED any "global visual updates".

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 11:22PM GMT
True, talbo, but since when has the "crackerjack team" ever cared about what we really want or need?

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 11:47PM GMT
I think the appropriate phrase is: "If it's not broke, why fix it?" - especially when so many actual real changes and corrections need to be made.

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 12:01AM GMT
True silverfox, but it's called job justification. A gazillion product managers and their teams have to show they have made a difference.

As to whether we like it or it works, that's probably not high on the agenda.

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 12:44AM GMT
Talbotrail,

This is basically what I was `complaining' about in my post, that you were kind enough to reply to, albeit with a bit of a snarky tone. LOL!

This is one of the improvements that simply doesn't need to be made,IMHO, much like the one(s) that are affecting me and my Flintstones-era Mac.

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 1:09AM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 22 Aug 2013 6:48PM GMT

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 1:33AM GMT
I assume that the change to icons from "words" (should read ENGLISH WORDS) is part of the overall effort to make the boards and the rest of the site more universal.

That part I could live with after some getting used to...but the last time we got a preview of coming attractions a few weeks ago...the links were not functioning and all of the admin links (and even posting links) were not showing up in one browser I normally use...and I'm sure I'm not the only one using it.

Navigation was next to impossible in long threads unless you wanted the very latest or earliest posts.

Of course, the more than year old glitch involving the PREFS settings could be part of this problem. If you can only view 10 messages per page in thread view and can't get more posts to "stick" or can't view in Flat mode...there is a problem.

Joan

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 1:45AM GMT
Today's "preview" was even worse (can you believe it) than the earlier preview.

Does anyone have the name/address/email of the supposed chief of testing? Can we 1 - inundate him/her 2 - inform his/her superiors of his/her absolute lack of control/knowledge/you name it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions