The latest new toy

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 10:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Smart Filter (see attached clip)
Attachments:

Re: The latest new toy

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 3:53PM GMT
Can someone help me understand WHY I get the reminder to add a birth or death date when I already have?

It's not consistent - sometimes I get that nasty yellow bar, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I DON'T see it when I DON'T have a date!
Attachments:

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 6:19PM GMT
I think they are trying out stuff for which you are an 'alpha' tester (lucky person).

My guesstimate half-answer to your second point is that you are searching from a tree-person page, and with the first search the search engine disregards dates. Apparently they are invisible to the search engine, so the search engine is following code to act like they are not there. Including prompts.

I don't know why they can't get the search engine to recognize entered dates on the first search from a tree, but it is most aggravating to have birth and death dates disregarded from a date-bracketing standpoint.

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 3:56PM GMT
Thanks for pointing this out, and sorry that it's not yet working correctly. We essentially ported the underlying logic from Old Search for these new messages since it was generally better than New Search's "A little more information" blue banner that was often incorrect and always too long for most people to read. Now that we're trying to be smarter about recommending what information should be added it's a little trickier than just using one generic message, so we're going to tweak and refine the logic in the coming few weeks.

Also, the search engine definitely takes into account all the fields included in the search form whether they're manually entered or pre-populated from a tree-search. Feel free to send me any links to searches that don't seem right, we're working to improve our default tree-based searches as well.

Thanks!

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 5:28PM GMT
Gentry, thanks very much for your input.

In my experience when searching from a tree person, the search engine does not pay much attention to vital-date bracketing. In the first 20 or first 50 results I have often seen anachronous results: 1930/1940 US Census for someone who died in 1919, Civil War items for someone born 1859, Revolutionary War items for persons born in 19th century (I would not consider an SAR item inherently wrong or a pension item impossible for someone who died before 1850, but this is not what I'm talking about).

My dates are all genealogy-standard or simply a year entry.

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 5:34PM GMT
Thanks for the response, Gentry. I'll be watching for improvements to the logic.

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 1:16PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2013 1:18PM GMT
I get that bar asking for more info when I have ALL fields filled in. It's been doing that for years, actually. It doesn't seem to matter if it is new search or searching from tree.

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 3:17PM GMT
Got it. We're making some improvements to the way that we do tree based searching that might mitigate some of the issues you're seeing. Since that's something we're actively working on, I'd love any specific searches that feel wrong, so feel free to send them along.

One issue that complicates a lot of tree searches is that once a first name and last name match, the cumulative effect of matching family member names sometimes bring up results that don't match well on vitals (especially in large households with common names). We probably need to set some limits or tweak some weightings there.

Gentry

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 3:55PM GMT
The smart filter and the yellow bar (ugly color, BTW) only show up for me in Firefox, not in other browsers.

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 6:15PM GMT
"One issue that complicates a lot of tree searches is that once a first name and last name match, the cumulative effect of matching family member names sometimes bring up results that don't match well on vitals"

Oh, the anachronous search results are not for same-name. Could be for anything. If the tree-person from whom I am searching is John M. XXX the results could include innumerable Mary ZZZs who were in a Census enumeration (derived from my target's middle initial). Or same-surname items (some previously saved in my tree specifically to other persons--sometimes good for a sardonic chuckle).

It would make sense if the names were the same, but they're usually not.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic