Search for content in message boards

WILLIAMS IN OHIO

WILLIAMS IN OHIO

Judi Burkhardt (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2002 8:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILLIAMS, JORDAN, WALLING, ROGERS, LOGSTON
Looking for siblings of James WILLIAMS who died before or by 1818. Deed records of Brown Co., OH. shows Eli WILLIAMS (wife possibly Elizabeth WALLING)a son settling his fathers estate. Inheriting is Elizabeth who I believe was probably the wife of James, Walling (sometimes found as Walden), Catherine wife of David ROGERS, Polly wife of Joshua JORDAN, Elizabeth wife of Alexander SUMMERS and Isaac (wife Polly LOGSTON?).
Would like to learn more about this family. Was this James from Maryland and was his wifes name Elizabeth WALLING?
Walling WILLIAMS the son is also found in Clermont Co., then later in Adams Co., OH. What happened to all the other siblings? Willing to share what I have.

Re: WILLIAMS IN OHIO

Monica Mason (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2003 5:09PM GMT
I have in my family tree a Eli Williams married to an Elizabeth *Betsey* Walling ...the mother of Keziah Williams who married John Hilderbrant. Keziah is believed to have been born in Maryland or Ohio around 1811.

Judi Burkhardt (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2003 7:16PM GMT
Hi Monica, Thank you for replying to my Williams query, it is appreiated. Do you have any dates for Eli Eilliams & his wife Elizabeth Walling and where they may have lived in Ohio? I hope they may be the same ones that I found in and around Admas Co. and Brown Co., Ohio. Do you know if Eli's father was named James? Hope to hear back from you. Judi

Ladonna Viertel (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2003 6:40PM GMT
Hi, Judi. I was really excited to see your post of September 2002. It appears that you and I are working on the same Williams line. In April, I spent 9 days doing research on about 9 or 10 lines in the Ohio River Valley, and am still in the process of typing up notes from my trip. I found a great deal of information in Adams County on these lines, including the marriage of Eli Williams and Elizabeth Walling, but I spent the least amount of time in Brown County. I did not get to visit the courthouse at all, so I am unfamiliar with the deed you mentioned. I would love to have a copy if you have that available.
I am pretty sure I am descended from Walling G. (Gibson) Williams, but I may be descended from Eli and Elizabeth. Here's the conflict. There were at least 2 Walling G. Williams. Walling, the son of James you mention, appeared in the 1820 Brown County, Ohio census and was over 45 years old. My ggg grandfather's name was also Walling G. Williams, born in Ohio about 1818. He could have been the son of Walling the first because he married Margaret Ross in 1811 in Clermont County. But he could also have been the son of Eli Williams who married Elizabeth Walling in Adams County in 1810. So, since my Walling was born in 1818, he could have been the son of one or the other. I haven't been able to determine which. My Walling does state in the 1880 Wise County, Texas census that his father was born in Maryland. My Williams line left Ohio prior to the 1840 census and moved to Ripley County, Indiana, then on to Clay County, Illinois.
What other Brown County info do you have? I will be glad to share what I have, and will keep you updated as I get things typed up. Mixed in with my Walling and Williams information are notes on several other lines, so it may take a while.
I hope to hear from you soon. Ladonna

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 12:55PM GMT
Hi, Judy,

If you are still searching for your family, I may have a little more to add.

I think Eli Williams and Betsy Walling are buried in the old Somerford Cemetery, in Somerford, Madison County, Ohio. One of their descendents have added them to find a grave. I have requested photos of the tombstones (if they still exist). On one of Madison County OH genealogy sites, they have an index of wills which shows Betsy's father, D'Lashmut Walling, was in Clark County OH when he passed. They list his wife and children. I can't proof this Eli is descended from James Williams and Elizabeth Walling yet. I am descended from Isaac Williams and Polly Logsdon through their daughter, Susanna.

I will be glad to share what I have found on the Williams family.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions