Search for content in message boards

Campbell Art Co./GUE

Campbell Art Co./GUE

Julie Gue Smith (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GUE
Looking for information regarding Campbell Art Company located in Elizebeth NJ (Union Co) Was in business in the early 1900's and sold a painting by D. J. Gue, one of my ancestors. Gue was an artist living in NY City at the turn of the century. Can anyone tell me anything at all about this company? Please E-mail.

Re: Campbell Art Co./GUE

Randy Brock (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2002 1:55AM GMT
Surnames: Gue Johnson
Hi
I have a painting by a D. J. Gue. What I have found out thus far is that this artist name is David John Gue.b 1837 d 1917 He' s out of New York and is noted for seascapes. I should let you know that the one that I have is a portrait of a very beautiful lady and is very well done. I think her married name is Johnson but I have not been unable to prove this fact thus far. I notice that the Gue's have some tie to the Johnson from West Virginia which is where this painting has come from. If you have any additional info on D J Gue the artist or the tie to the Johnsons in WV.or about the painting you speak of that sold at the Campbell company I would love know this info.
Randy

clarence (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2002 12:07AM GMT
my wife has a picture from the campbell art co. of elizabeth new jersey as well.it is of a very pretty woman dressed in victorian clothing standing outside with many trees in the background.we can not find any names on it other than
'campbell art co. elizabeth nj."
my wifes ex husband had an antique store for a short time,that is how she obtained the picture.it would be interesting to find out more about it, if anyone can help us.
my e-mail is cbabe100@aol.com.

Posted: 24 Dec 2006 4:28AM GMT
Surnames: Gue, Comstock,Botsford
DAVID J. GUE was born in Farmington, Ontario County, New York, January 17, 1836. He acquired a common school education with one year at an academy. In 1853 he came to Iowa and assisted an older brother on a farm in Scott County. He studied law in Tipton and was admitted to the bar in 1860. In 1862, as counsel for J. S. Maxwell, he won a noted case for his client whose seat in the General Assembly was contested by Milo Smith, who retained Judge C. C. Cole. Mr. Gue was chosen assistant secretary of the SEnate at that session. In 1859 he connected his name imperishably with history, in secret effort to save the lives of John Brown and his companions who were then organizing the "raid" on Harper's Ferry. The particulars of this episode are to be found in Vol. II, of this history. When a small boy David J. had possessed a remarkable talent for pencil sketching, especially of portraits. In 1865 he located at Fort Dodge in the drug business. But his love for art grew with the years and he finally sold out and gave his attention to portrait painting. Among his Iowa work are portraits of John A. Kasson, Bishop H. W. Lee, Governors Merrill, Carpenter and Larrabee; Chief Justices of the Supreme Court J. M. Beck, J. R. Reed and C. C. Cole. Settling in New York many years ago, his most notable portraits were Ex-President Millard Fillmore, General U. S. Grant, Henry Ward Beecher, Lyman Abbitt, Nellie, daughter of President Arthur. In 1898 Mr. Gue visited the art centers of Europe, making studies of many notable places. He has attained remarkable success in marine painting.

D. N. Richardson, editor of the Davenport Democrat wrote of Mr. Gue as an artist: "It was not until he was twenty-four years old that he saw an oil painting. After twelve years of work as a portrait painter in New York, he occupies a position that many of the hardest working students of the best foreign masters have failed to attain."

Posted: 24 Dec 2006 4:37AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Gue, Comstock,Botsford
This is an update o too my former post. I think I have solve the who the lady is in the picture that I speak done by David John Gue…. D J Gue. I have view several pictures and I think it is Anna Botsford Comstock. Anna Botsford Comstock ( September 1, 1854 – August 24, 1930 ), was a US artist, educator, conservationist, and a leader of the nature study movement, born in Otto, New York, to Marvin and Phebe Irish Botsford.Comstock grew up on her parents' farm, where she and her Quaker mother spent time together examining the wildflowers, birds, and trees.Comstock attended the Chamberlain Institute and Female College, a Methodist school in Randolph, New York, then she returned to Otto and taught for a year.
Here is a complete link. http://www.answers.com/topic/anna-botsford-comstock

she Anna Botsford married John Henry Comstock, a young entomologist on the Cornell faculty who got her interested in insect illustration.a very interesting fellow as well.
His link is http://www.answers.com/topic/john-henry-comstock
Points of interest
David John Gue and was parents were Quakers
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions