Search for content in message boards

Barnwell county marriage records

Barnwell county marriage records

Posted: 1 Apr 2002 6:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jul 2002 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Foss, Jarrell
Does anyone what agency keeps marriages records for as far back as 1853? I just tried their vital records office, and the woman I spoke to told me they only have back to 1910 or so, and that no one she knows of keeps the old records.
I have an exact marriage date, I just need to find the record!! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: Barnwell county marriage records

DAVID PIQUETTE (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2002 2:59PM GMT
hi,

the state of south carolina didnt start keeping "marriage records" until 1911.

the only records found before that would have been marriage settlements.these settlements have been microfilmed by the lds.

john davis (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2002 1:14AM GMT
Surnames: danial webster davis
barnwell co. records
did not burn, as a lot of records did. ck . public library,
i found a lot there.
cris

carole h. melson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2003 11:50PM GMT
Dear John:
I was under the impression that all of the official records of the Old Barnwell District of South Carolina were lost due to fire/fires. I hope that I am wrong in this respect. In regards to your mention that marriage records could be seen at a public library, I would like to ask you which public library do you mean? Is it the public library in Barnwell, S. C.? I have been searching for many years for the marriage document of my great, great, great-grandmother who was born in 1811 in the Old Barnwell District, S. C. Any assistance that you could give me on where to turn in hopes of finding it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Carole H. Melson.

Posted: 3 Apr 2004 3:52AM GMT
Edited: 26 Nov 2004 4:55AM GMT
Aiken County Libarary, has a lot of records on Barnwell, including books on marraige records.

Carole H. Melson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2004 11:52PM GMT
Dear Kathy:
Thank you for your kind reply. I do not live in the State of S. C.; but I will contact the library in Aiken, S. C. about Their genealogical records. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Carole Melson.

Posted: 19 May 2004 1:27PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2005 7:39PM GMT
Surnames: ALLERTON, BELLINGER, BOHUN, CRAFT, CUSHMAN, DAVIS, DIXON, FELDER, FORTUNE, GALPHIN, HARLEY, LAWTON, MCCREARY, MEDLOCK, MOSSE, MOSELEY, MUSE, PEEPLES, RHODES, SAMMS, SMITH, STONEY, WANNAMAKER
Marriage licenses have only been required in SC since 1911. Prior to that date, the only way to prove a marriage OF RECORD is through the Civil (Chancery), Deed, Mortgage and Probate records in each SC County. Marriage Settlements were not always recorded.

Barnwell County's records date from 1785. They were not burned during Sherman's march through SC. Prior to that, records were housed in the Office of the Secretary of the Province in Charleston. Those records were all moved to the S.C. State Archives, which has an online website you can search.

Several people have also abstracted the records in Barnwell County, including Barbara Langdon. She has published several books on SC Marriages Implied in the public records of Barnwell. All the titles are available for purchase.

Lynda Moseley
Barnwell, SC

AE Davis (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2006 11:36PM GMT
Look on ebay. Type in Barnwell and every few days someone with have on the Barnwell County Marriage list for sale.

Gene Davis
Barnwell, SC

Posted: 6 Oct 2008 8:33PM GMT
What you can do is go to the archives for the old marriage license that is Charleston or Columbia, Sc pam

Posted: 7 Oct 2008 2:22AM GMT
Could you give more information on "archives for the old marriage license" in Charleston.
Thanks,
Frank
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions