Search for content in message boards

Chamberlain, Obed or Jonas

Chamberlain, Obed or Jonas

Posted: 8 Feb 2000 9:59AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2001 3:17PM GMT
Looking for info on the above men. Came to US from Scotland. Obed. was in war of 1812 and Jonas lived in Sadsbury, PA and married into the Darlington-Curry family. A family name that continued for generations is James Leroy Chamberlain. Supposed decendant of Neville Chamberlain - Prime Minister of England.

Ancestry of Neville Chamberlain (Prime Minister)?

Andrew Kingdom (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2000 9:57AM GMT
Anyone have any details on Neville Chamberlain's ancestors or relatives?

Specifically, I'm looking to see if he had a grandmother named 'Sarah Whisker'.

Thanks,
- Andrew Kingdom
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~agk

Obed Chamberlain

Posted: 20 Jan 2001 5:58PM GMT
Edited: 4 Aug 2001 11:46AM GMT
I have traced back to Obediah Chamberlain (some of my ancestors spelled it Chamberlin) who was my GGG-GrandFather. He was from a family who settled in the Sadsbury Township area of Chester County and Lancaster County, PA (each has a Sadsbury township which border). The only information I can find on him is that he died leaving at least one young son, my GG-Grandfather Thomas M. Any information you can pass on will be greatly appreciated. My E-mail is TomDoc1@email.msn.com

Re: Ancestry of Neville Chamberlain (Prime Minister)?

Posted: 9 Oct 2005 7:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Andrew,
I have a little knowledge of Neville Chamberlain. He is my great uncle. I don't know about his grandmother.
I do know, his father's name was Joseph. He owned a family busines: a screw and wood co. It was based in Birmingham. He was also a minister of a church he started with his wife. When his wife bore their son, she passed during the birth. He later married his wife's cousin. She bore him two children and also died during the birth of their second child. He wasn't the same after this and lost faith in God. He left ministering and became a politician. He ventured into Canada, then to southern U.S. where he met his third wife. They wed and Grover Cleveland attended the service and spoke at their reception. They came back to the U.K. and had four sons. His obituary only lists two of them. He always regretted not furthering his education so he decided to design, fund and construct his own university. Due to a stroke, he was unbale to see his plans through but in Sienna, Italy, there is a university dedicated to hime with a statue of him in the front courtyard.
Two of the sons he had became politicians. Austen Joseph Chamberlain was the Prime Minister before his older and more famous brother. He had many important treaties signed by Japan and Germany. His brother Neville Austen Chamberlain was the Prime Minister after his younger brother and is more famous due to WW11. In my sister's research, she found many pictures of him shaking hands with Hitler, some shaking hands and one inside of Neville's home which looked very elegant. Many people, including my mother, believed he was a coward because he never pronounced war on Germany but infact he had a very good reason for doing so. Britain's armed forces at the time, were fragile and small. They didn't have the man pwer or the weaponry that Germany had so he tried to stall Germany and "befriend" Hitler to increase British armed forces.
I hope this info can help you. Maybe you could share info with me that you have.
Keep in touch,
Julie Chamberlain (Bower)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions