Search for content in message boards

Davin, Keane, McCarthy, Sheridan surnames

Davin, Keane, McCarthy, Sheridan surnames

Posted: 10 Apr 2007 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for info or relatives. John Davin born in Ireland early 1800's appears to have married twice. First wife unknown but had at least one child, John Davin born Dec 1849 in Ireland. John Sr married Mary Keane in England and they had 3 children born in England, Richard A Davin, born Dec 1880, Mary Davin, born Apr 1884 and John Davin, born Aug 1885. I have no further record of John Sr and Mary Keane. The 1st John son emigrated to the US in 1886 and married Margaret McCarthy. They lived in the Bronx and had 4 children, Ann, born 4 Apr 1893, Ella(Ellen), born Apr 1897, Margaret, born July 1898, and Thomas, born 1904. Richard, Mary and John (second John son) emigrated to the Bronx in 1890 and were living with the older John at the time of the 1900 census. Richard Davin married Catherine Sheridan on 8 Aug 1906 in the Bronx and they had 2 children, Richard born in 1908 and Francis born in 1910. Almost no data survives after 1910, any help would be appreciated.
Jim Gillen

Re: Davin, Keane, McCarthy, Sheridan surnames

Posted: 20 May 2009 2:54AM GMT
My grandfather was William Thomas Davin Jersey city,New Jersey. He died in 1967 in Wayne New Jersey.He had two sons William(billy),John Sr.my father.billy died at 12 years old.My father died in 1976 in Kokomo,In.I don't have much more than that. Thank you, John Davin Jr.

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 1:47AM GMT
Jim, I am very happy to have found your posting as I am the granddaughter of Ella Elizabeth Davin Travers and will be glad to share any of the information I have found. Ella married Joseph Peter Travers (I sent away for their marriage certificate and both of their SS applications), had two sons, John Joseph (my father), and William. Unfortunately, the family was estranged early on. Once my father looked at a picture and said those were his McCarthy cousins from Brooklyn, which was news to me. Besides his parents and brother, I never met anyone else in his family. How are you related? Margie Travers

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 2:40AM GMT
Hi Margie: Here is what I can tell you about my Davin ancestors;
1. John Davin, born in the early 1800's in Ireland married Mary Keane. They had at least 4 children, John, Richard, Mary and John.
2. Their 1st son, John Davin was born Dec 1849 in Ireland.
3. He married Margaret McCarthy who was born in December 1864 in Ireland and died 25May1930 in the Bronx, NY.
4. John and Margaret had at least 4 children, Ann Davin, Born 4Apr1893, Ella Davin, Born Apr1897 in the Bronx, Margaret Davin, Born July 1898 in the Bronx and Thomas Davin, Born 1904 in the Bronx.
4. Richard Davin, born Dec1880, married Catherine Sheridan, Born Jan1887.
5. Richard and Catherine had 2 children, Richard, Born 1908 in the Bronx and Francis born Jan 1910 also in the Bronx.

Anne Davin was my Maternal Grandmother and I lived with her from birth until 1949. I have no actual records from any of the Davins, if you can verify our relationship it would be a great find!
Jim

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 5:36PM GMT
Jim, As I mentioned, I have a copy of the marriage certificate of Ella and Joseph along with a copy of their SS applications; and a copy of the death certificates of Richard and John W. Davin, all of which I haven't posted to my site yet.
Please send me your email address and I'll be glad to forward everything I have researched to you: originals, transcriptions, photos, etc.
Margie

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 6:12PM GMT
That's outstanding! My email is jimgillen@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 6:17PM GMT
Hi John: We may be related, see the other responses to my post. Does anything ring a bell?
Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic