Search for content in message boards

Denmarks in Canada

Denmarks in Canada

Posted: 26 Apr 2001 8:50AM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2001 8:01PM GMT
I am looking for information on the Denmark family who moved from the US (possibly NY) to eastern Ontario circa 1835-1850. My grgrgrGrandmother was Elmina Denmark (b. circa 1817) m. Hugh McCargar circa 1835 in South Gower, Ont. Elmina had a brother, Aaron Henry Denmark b.circa 1820, died 1892 buried in Ottawa. Can anyone help? Thanks

Re: Denmarks in Canada

Posted: 1 Jul 2001 2:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a Hugh McCargar b. 1811 Kemptville, Ontario d. 1875 - m- Elmina Denmark on 26 Oct. 1835. Hugh was the s/o Thomas William McCargar and Phoebe Beach. I descend from the McCargar's. Would love to hear from you and share info.

Carol Gibson (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2001 12:58PM GMT
Elmina Denmark and Hugh McCargar were my Grgrgr grandparents! I am also related to the McCargars through my Vail line. Please contact me at gibsonc@dfo-mpo.gc.ca as I would love to hear from you.

Dennis McCargar (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2002 6:08AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jun 2004 3:06PM GMT
Surnames: Denmark, McCargar
I can't help you with the Denmarks, except to say that I have found it spelled Denmarck, for Elimina, wife of our Hugh McCargar. Hugh is code AAD in the McCargar line, and I have 92 coded descendants from this couple, but I do not find any Gibsons. This must be either your married name, or you are a descendant I am not aware of--can you send me vital data on your family connection to Hugh & Elimina to fill out my records? I will send you a corrected copy with your data in return...thanks, Dennis McCargar, AAHFDBA

Posted: 3 Aug 2002 8:46AM GMT
Thanks for responding. I'm catching up on making electronic records of my files so am not yet able to send details electronically.

I am a descendant of Hugh McCargar (1811 - 1875( ?)) and Elmina (1817-? -- that's the spelling that I am familiar with) through their daughter Margaret (1846 - 1902) who married Frank Wayland Vail (1843-1926).

Margaret and Frank had 10 children born in Canada and the US, of whom 4 lived to adulthood and old age. In fact, just a few weeks ago, I visited Margaret's and Frank's graves in Warren, Ontario, Canada, which is near Sudbury.

Frank and Margaret's daughter, Augusta Cynthia (1867-1966), m. Alex. MacPhail (1862-1940). Their daughter, (1895-1987) Ellen (Nellie) m. Charles Blair (1896-1982). Their daughter, Thelma Grace (1920-1991) m. John Tilton Gibson (1916-1996).

So that's where the Gibson comes into the line. I can provide further details and would also be interested in the lineage that you have.

Regards,

Carol Gibson

Posted: 17 Oct 2002 6:36PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2003 3:43PM GMT
Surnames: McCargar
Hi Dennis,

Further to my note in response to yours from August, 2002, I realized that I should also have pointed out my connection to the Joseph McCargar of the Shelby NY area. Joseph m. Amy Robinson and had several children, including Daniel (1820 - 1895). Daniel married Sarah C. Vail (1821-1894). Sarah's brother, Frank W. Vail, married Margaret McCargar, daughter of Hugh and Elmina. From my earlier note, you'll find that Frank/Margaret were my grgrgranparents. (I am the daughter of Thelma Blair and John Gibson which I should have indicated.)

Question: Do you have any info on Daniel/Sarah C? They did not appear to have had any children. From the census, it appears that he was a farm hand. That's all I know.

Many thanks

Carol

Posted: 25 Apr 2011 9:50PM GMT
Classification: Bible
Surnames: Denmark, Hacker (pronounced Hawker)
Wow... talk about strange timing that i'm replying to you almost 10 years to the day you posted this message!

My name is Lee-Ann Duff, and if I'm correct, I'm a descendant of Aaron Henry Denmark of Ottawa.

Ancestry.ca has free access to Canadian wedding records until May 1, 2011 which is how I tracked my lineage to the Ottawa Area.

I believe that my grgrgrandfather was Joseph Albert Denmark, Aaron Henry's son, who died in Walford Ontario (District of Algoma) in 1915.

I have found a wedding register with the name Joseph Denmark whose father is listed as "Henry Denmark" and who was born in Ottawa.

The only Henry Denmark I have found in Ottawa, who is also listed as being married to Mary Ann Whitehead, a name in our family bible, was "Aaron Henry Denmark" so I am making the assumption that 'they' are the same person.

According to a family story passed down through the generations, Joseph's family was not happy that he was seeing a Catholic girl and made him choose between his inheritance and the girl.

Joseph, born circa 1859, married Elizabeth Hacker, a Catholic girl, in Spanish, Ontario, Canada on October 22, 1892.

One of their children was my grgrandmother, Mary Ann Denmark Whalen, who was born in Walford, Ontario June 19, 1898 and died in Elliot Lake, Ontario December 25, 1986.

Mary Ann's daughter Edith - one of 10 children who survived to adulthood - is my grandmother.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If I have made an error in connecting our two families, please let me know. If I'm correct, I would also like to exchange information with you and fill in some gaps in the Denmark Family Tree.

Hoping to hear from you.

Lee-Ann

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 12:07AM GMT
Hi Lea-Ann.Joseph Denmark was indeed the son of Mary Anne Whitehead and Aaron Henry Denmark of Ottawa. They had a large family and I have information on them, including some pictures.

Your contacting me is a major breakthrough on my Denmark connections, which have eluded me for years. Please contact me at cg9842@yahoo.ca. I have pictures of Aaron Henry (aka Henry) and Mary Anne and one of their sons, Henry and his wife Edith. Thanks so much for responding, even if it is ten years later! Regards, Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions