Search for content in message boards

Isabella Gardner Shanks & Agnes Provan Shanks (Sisters) - Airdrie

Isabella Gardner Shanks & Agnes Provan Shanks (Sisters) - Airdrie

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 11:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shanks
I'm trying to find some info on my Gt Grand Aunt - Isabella Gardner Shanks b. 10/10/1905 at 196 Forrest Street, Airdrie, New Monkland, Scotland - Parents Thomas Shanks and Isabella Gardner. I found that she emigrated to Quebec, Canada on 14/08/1926 onboard "Letitia". My dad can vaguely remember that his aunt possibly married someone by the name of Nichol/Nichols/Nicholson, but I'm unsure of how to find this out or if this was her sister Agnes Provan Shanks b. 1896 in Airdrie as she also emigrated to Quebec, Canada on 14/08/1923 onboard "Marloch". Any help on both sisters would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Fiona

Re: Isabella Gardner Shanks & Agnes Provan Shanks (Sisters) - Airdrie

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: Shanks
Fiona,
Agnes Provan Shanks had her passage to Canada in 1923 paid for by the Salvation Army, and she seemed to be going to work as a Domestic with them in Toronto.

...Isabella was 20 when she made her voyage in 1926, and she seemed to have with her someone named Jean Watt [aged 18]. They had both come from the same address: 14 St Vincent Place, Glasgow, which I think would be a place of work rather than their home address. ...Isabella had come from Airdrie,[as you know] and Jean Watt's home address was 13 Loanhead Cres, Newarthill. They were both going to "Govt Hotel, Toronto." Both were domestics.

I couldn't find a marriage for either Isabella or Agnes. Maybe someone would tell you the best site for looking up marriages in Canada after 1923.

About Agnes... I was wondering if she was only working for the Salvation Army or if she was actually a Salvation Army Officer. The Salvation Army keep good records in London for anyone who was an officer with them, and helped me to find someone on my own tree who was missing for many years. ....It turned out she had been with the Salvation Army for over 30 years!

Brian

Re: Isabella Gardner Shanks & Agnes Provan Shanks (Sisters) - Airdrie

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 2:13PM GMT
Thanks for your help Brian, greatly appreciated. I'll check out your suggestion for the Salvation Army.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions