Search for content in message boards

Eliza (Elizabeth) Scott 1809; Halifax/Northampton NC

Eliza (Elizabeth) Scott 1809; Halifax/Northampton NC

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 10:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jun 2013 2:35PM GMT
Surnames: Scott
I am having a hard time sorting out the Scotts from Northampton and Halifax counties in NC. I am sure they were brown skin folks, mixed but most likely Portuguese origin. My ancsetor was Eliza(Elizabeth) Scott 1809. Im sure I have more in the mix though. Is there someone out there who knows about these folks?

Re: Eliza (Elizabeth) Scott 1809; Halifax/Northampton NC

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 10:53PM GMT
The SCOTTs were longtime Free People of Color in NC & VA. Many of them settled in Edgecombe, Halifax & Northampton Counties, NC. You need to do some more work in trying to locate records that might mention your Elizabeth Scott's name, possibly apprenticeship records or court records, although Elizabeth was a very common name, which included many variations such as Betty, Betsy, or Eliza. I would look at the neighbors and explore the Marriages of Northampton & Halifax to see if you can identify some of those neighbors, they could possibly be her relatives, and if so, research them, too. Doing things like that can expand the possibilities of names whose records you can look through, one of which may have a clue to the identity of themselves & their other family members.

The SCOTTs was one of the families which Paul Heinegg has done extensive research on, you might want to take a look at his site to see what he says about their beginnings and to give you some further possible clues.

http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/Scott_Skipper.htm

Deloris Williams

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 8:44PM GMT
Surnames: SCOTT
18th century Scott family in Northampton- Joseph Scott d ca 1751 1st wife ? Mary Carter 2nd Sarah umn. Had a dau named Elizabeth b ca 1734. After Joseph died estate settled and children scattered. Picked up trail for some in Johnston & Duplin (Sampson) counties. Most likely family came out of VA. All WASPs, appear to be Quakers.

Posted: 12 Apr 2014 12:55PM GMT
I am descendant from the Scott family that you are referring to. The Scott family is NOT of Portuguese origins, nor is any other of the family's that were part of the Portuguese community E.G. Polythress, Matthews, Peters, etc...

The Scott family was descendant from the Saponi Indians. In 1790 they lived Thomas Eaton and William Eaton, who were children of the Indian trader Col William Eaton. Col Eaton interacted with the Saponi Indians frequently, as well as their children. Many of the Scott's, including my 4x great grandfather Jeff Scott (son of Sterling) worked for Ferry companies on the Roanoke River and he more than likely worked for Eaton's Ferry. They also lived near Thomas Hix, the son of the Indian trader and captain of Fort Christanna Robert Hix. There is many other things that proves their Indian heritage E.G. Indian affidavits, testimony on Indian rolls, oral history, family's they intermarried, and more. If you have any questions feel free to ask on here or message me. Also feel free to take a look at my tree, because I have a TON of information on the Scott family. Paul Heinegg has done some good research on the Scott family and many other FPOC family's but he tends to assume that if people aren't listed as Indian, then they weren't Indian, when that's not the case. Many Indians (full bloods and mixed) were listed as anything but Indian on a lot of different records. He also tends to make bad connections between family members.

Many of the other Portuguese family's, if not all of them are of Indian descent as well E.G. The Polythress family is also Saponi and the Peters family may be Tuscarora (at least that's what I've read from multiple sources and heard from different people).

I hope everything is going well for you, take care!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic