Search for content in message boards

NSW birth certificates

NSW birth certificates

Robert Jarvis (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2003 8:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
I believe traced my gt grandad Francis W. Jones who came to Liverpool in about 1896 but born in Australia in Macleay River district. can anyone tell me where in NSW this is?
Also if I buy a birth certificate for mid 1800's exactly what details do I get? Mother's maiden name? dates of birth of parents? place of birth of parents? date of marriage of parents? Can anyone advise

Re: NSW birth certificates

Michelle W (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2003 10:21AM GMT
Robert,

How much information you get on "any" certificate or transcription, will depend entirely on who the informant was, and how much they accurately knew. Generally, births, followed by marriages will be more accurate than deaths, as the informants are usually the parents or the person's themselves.

Up to 1856, the NSW records for Births, Deaths and Marriages are classed as Early Church Records. They are not quite as detailed as after 1856, but do hold the "essentials". A birth transcript (which is the same as a certificate only cheaper, and can't be used in legal proceedings), that I have for 1853, includes the following information:

Register ie. Parish, county etc
Person's name
Date of birth
Date of baptism
Father
Occupation
Mother
Residence
Sponsor
Minister
Notes

Certificates / Transcripts after 1856 include the following:

Date and place of birth
Child's name
Father's name, age and occupation
Date and place of marriage and any previous issue
Mother's name, maiden name, age and birthplace
Informant
Witnesses
particulars of registration
Name if added after registration of birth

The Macleay River (after which the area was named) rises in the New England Ranges north of Armidale, flows 400km SE to Kempsey, then NE to the Pacific Ocean at Trial Bay. I would also consider the area, as Far North Coast of NSW.

I hope this will help with your research.
Kind Regards,
Michelle.

Re: NSW birth certificates

Robert Jarvis (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2003 7:10PM GMT
Michell W
Hi, many thanks for the information. Without knowing it I passed through the Macleay River area on my way to Coff's Harbour and Lamington when I was in NSW in 1999. What can one say? "blast"! That was the second time I have been to Oz. If Gt Grandad was born in Australia do you think the Government would grant me citizenship? I wish I could because I would really love to live there.
Back to the serious stuff. As regards the birth certificate, on the website it states after paying the certificate would be printed and sent to me. Can you help? does this mean that it is sent by post in which case I may have a problem as I am in England. Or is it produced on the website for one self to print or is it sent by email?
I really appreciate the information you have provided and I would be very grateul if you just clear up the above points.
Many Thanks and Best Wishes
Robert
PS The email address on the reply was flashbinz@optusnet.com.au. Is that yours? it sounds very official.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions