Search for content in message boards

Alexander McLeod, Solomon Curry, Ann Curry (nee Wood)

Alexander McLeod, Solomon Curry, Ann Curry (nee Wood)

Posted: 16 Jan 2005 9:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McLeod, Curry, Wood
Want information about Alexander McLeod Glengarry County, Ontario
He married Ann Southerland (Wood) after her husband Solomon Curry died in
1840. He may have married previously. One child known from the marriage
with Ann is John A. McLeod, MD. Another child, but not known which marriage
is AA. McLeod.

Thanks.

Re: Alexander McLeod, Solomon Curry, Ann Curry (nee Wood)

Posted: 18 Jan 2005 5:01PM GMT
Edited: 17 May 2005 11:14PM GMT
Hi Walter
I have information on the Curry family if you would like more on Solomon. This marriage to Anna Wood caused me some confusion as my grt grandfather is Solomon but not this one or his son. I’d be glad to exchange information with you.
Regards
Carol

Walt (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2005 10:24PM GMT
Carol, I would be grateful for any Curry information you can give me. There were several Solomon Curry's in that area at that time, so we many not have a link, but let's see. Thanks for your response.

Posted: 19 Jan 2005 12:52AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2005 4:30PM GMT
Hi, I was wondering if you are Doug's son, if you are, then he gave me some of the following information, Carol also has a lot of info, I think more than I have.

From Gravestones of Glengarry, Vol. 2, pg 213, #87
MOTHER; Anna Sutherland Wood widow of Solomon Wood and wife of Alexander McLeod, born in New York Nov. 10th 1809 died January 12th 1882. Erected by her sons Solomon S. Curry & John A. McLeod, M.D.

Information from Archie Curry - in 1921 tombstone moved to 2nd con cemetery - my great grandmother

Ann Wood is a sister to Maria who married James Curry

Jul 22 1843
Married by special licence Alexander McLeod of Lancaster, batchelor, and Anne Wood, widow of the late Soloman Curry of the same place. In presence of Donald C. McLeod & George Curry, witnesses - by Thomas McPherson, Minister

Glengarry News, May 2,1902
McLeod A.A. $50,000 a year salary

Worked in the railroad business.

Aug 6, ‘93 AWF
From the News, May 2, 1902
PROMINENT GLENGARRY PASSES AWAY.
A NATIVE OF GLENGARRY WHO BECAME A RAILWAY KING.
ARCHIBALD A. MCLEOD
Archibald A. McLeod the wealthy financier and railroad man, who had been ill at his home, No. 12 West Fifty First Street, New York, died somewhat unexpectedly at four o’clock Monday afternoon. His wife and seventeen year old son were at his bedside.
Mr. McLeod was born at Curry Hill, Glengarry Co., May 4th, 1844. His father was a Highlander from the old land, his mother was a Miss wood daughter of Alexander Wood, of Glasgow, Scotland. Miss Wood first married Solomon Curry, who was a sergeant in the rebellion of 1837 - 38 and after his death she married Mr. McLeod. The children are Joseph A. Curry, living on the homestead at Curry Hill, Mrs. A. Ross, Ironwood, Mich., A. A. McLeod (deceased) Solomon Curry, Ironwood, Mich., Dr. J. McLeod, Milwaukee, an Mrs. [Dr.] Norton of California. A.A. McLeod started life as a farmer, but found farming too irksome and left home when 20 years old.
He worked in several minor positions in the Central and Western States until he became identified with Mr. Austin Corbin. From that time his rise was rapid till ultimately when only 44 years of age he succeeded Mr. Corbin as president of the Reading Railway, being known as the boy president. His salary was $50,000 a year.

This is the information I have on the rest their children -
-John Alex McLeod born Nov. 11, 1853 married Isabelle Prime, they have 4 children
-Alex Henry born Jun 18, 1846
-Henretta McLeod born July 19, 1850 married John Horton of San Luis Obespie? Ca.
- Isabella Anna McLeod born Mar. 22, 1848 married John Howson they have 4 or 5 children

Hope this helps
Rhoda Ross

Posted: 19 Jan 2005 2:03PM GMT
Edited: 17 May 2005 11:14PM GMT
I am having some dificulty with your email address. Would you email me directly at jerushae@compmore.net
Carol

waltc (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2005 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: Mclead, Curry
I'm Doug's brother actually. I'm picking up his genealogy project and adding a few wrinkles. He has mentioned talking with you in our conversations.

Thanks for the information. You have more on Alexander than I had, and I would like to include it in our joint effort.

Walt C

Waltc (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2005 4:08AM GMT
Rhonda--I think there's a typo in your posting.

You quote the Anna Southerland Wood's gravestone as saying "...widow of
Solomon WOOD.." but the sons names are Curry and McLeod.
The marriage license information is "...widow of Solomon CURRY.." .
The information I got from Doug and family tradition says she was widow of
Solomon Curry.

Can you check this? Thanks

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 6:27AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2005 4:30PM GMT
Yes, you are right, I made an typo error, it should read -
widow of Solomon Curry.
Rhoda

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: Brennan O'Sullivan McLeod
Do you have record of where A.A. Mcleod Birth in Scottland and who his fathers name is Mothers maiden Name and bith years of Both.Please get back with me

AL Brennan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic