Search for content in message boards

Simmons/Garrett

Simmons/Garrett

Posted: 25 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jan 2003 4:22PM GMT
Surnames: Simmons, Garrett, Adams, Armstrong, Boners, Cellers, Baker, Williams, Kirbo
I am seeking information on the family of Daniel and Elizabeth Simmons who were in Pike Co., AL in the 1850 and 1860 census. They were both born in NC (probably Columbus Co., NC which before 1808 was Bladen or Brunswick). Daniel's date of birth was 1796. Their children were: Sally, Nancy (m. Adams), Kitty (m. Armstrong), Luke (m. Boners), Daniel, John (m. Cellers, Baker),William Leonard, Austin Smith, and Martha.

William L. was born 09 Mar 1834 and was m. in Pike Co. to Georgiana Williams, daughter of Rev. Wylie Green Williams; (2) Mollie E. Kirbo. From his bio in "History of Texas" he studied at the Graefenberg Medical College and practiced in Pike Co., being in charge of a hospital in Troy for a while. He was also engaged in the manufacture of salt on the coast of Florida, was captured by the Federals and was taken to Mower Hospital, Philadelphia to practice until the end of the war. He practiced then in Pike Co. and Butler Co., AL and in 1870 went to Parker Co., TX.

My ancestor, Dr. Austin Smith Simmons, b. 30 May 1836, in Pike Co. m. Martha Garrett. Who were her parents? One family history said her father's name was John, but I have not found that family. Is there a marriage license recorded in Pike Co.? In the 1860 census Austin was the keeper of the Poor House. From the "History of Texas" Austin also went to TX in about 1870. He discontinued the practice of medicine and engaged in the livestock business. Austin and Martha's children were John F. Simmons, b. 26 Jun 1857 in Pike Co.; Daniel B.; James L.; and two other unknown children (buried in Pike Co.?).

Any help you give will be appreciated.

Re: Garrett discoveries

Posted: 15 Oct 2001 11:52PM GMT
Surnames: Garrett, Gilmour, Miller, King, Brown, Anderson, Brooks, Mathews
I believe I have found Martha J. Garrett's parents: John Israel Garrett, b. 1808, GA, and Nancy Gilmour, b. 1812, GA. Their marriage was in Sep. 1836, in Pike Co., AL. Recorded in Book 1, p. 50. They had besides Martha (as shown in the 1850 Pike Co. census) Sarah 12; James 9; Nancy 4; Jeremiah 2. Did the family continue to live in Pike Co. or did they move on?

I believe I have found John Garrett's parents also. His father was Jeremiah Garrett, b. c. 1774 in probably NC, d. c. 1836 in Pike Co., AL. He moved to Pike Co. from Wilkinson Co., GA c. 1822/23. Jeremiah was killed by the Indians on the Pee River in Pike Co., AL in c. 1836 (History of Wilkinson Co., GA). Are there any county records about him, or showing information about his death and where he was buried?

Jeremiah's first wife, John's mother, was Annie Miller. She d. c. 1822 in Wilkinson Co., GA. Their children were Enoch, Elijah, Elisha, John, Mary (m. Jesse Brown), Tabitha, Samuel (m. Isabella Anderson), Nancy Ann (m. John Jasper Brooks), James (m. Mary Anderson), Robert Milligan (m Emily Elanor Ann Mathews). Jeremiah married again to Mary King before he moved to AL.

Am I on the right track? Can anyone give me more information on the family?

Posted: 17 Oct 2001 2:40AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2006 3:17AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Kirkpatrick, Pursley, King
Do you know anything about Jesse Brown? Or the names of the children of Jesse and Mary (Garrett)? Juanima McFarland macdol@mindspring.com

Posted: 16 Jun 2002 10:24PM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2003 6:14PM GMT
Surnames: Garrett& Traywick &Austin
Is Jerry Garrett, b. Dec. 24, 1858; d. March 9, 1939 who married (1) Fannie Traywick and (2) Bettie Austin, the son of Jeremiah Garret; grandson of John Israel Garrett and Nancy Gilmour; great-grandson of Jeremiah Garrett b. c 1774??

Posted: 26 Jun 2002 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Garrett
I do not have the descendants of all the Garretts. I would like to correspond with more of Jeremiah's descendants to get them all listed.

Re: Simmons/Garrett

Posted: 5 Mar 2003 12:56AM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2003 12:05AM GMT
Surnames: KIRBO/HIGHTOWER
Mollie(Mary Elizabeth) Kirbo,shown in your message as the second wife of Dr. William Leonard Simmons, was my great grandfather's sister.My ggrandfather was Anderson Redding Kirbo.
I recently took pictures of the gravestones of Willaim Leonard, Mollie, Austin and Martha at the Old City Cemetery(Greenwood) in Weatherford, Texas.
Mollie was in Texas in the 1870's and Anderson Redding came to Texas(Franklin County,Texas) in the late 1890's. One of his daughters was named Mollie.
Any information on the Kirbo family would be appreciated.
Mary

Posted: 9 Mar 2003 11:57PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2005 1:24AM GMT
Surnames: Simmons Kirbo
Mary

Ann asked I respond to your query as she is tied up for a while. Ann and I are cousins on the Simmons side.

You and I have corresponded before. I am the gg granddaughter of Anderson's sister Dudie Emma Kirbo. Her picture is at
http://www.hometown.aol.com/marnibugquilts/SimmonsFamily.htm...

Did you mention that you have the 1850 census of the Joseph Kirbo family? I have not located it.

Marcia

Posted: 7 May 2003 3:09PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2003 12:05AM GMT
Marcia, By accident I saw your reply! Sorry so late but I just saw the reply today.
I have the Joseph Kirbo's on the 1850 Macon County,Alabama Census.
It is hard to read. I have written p.256 in the margin.
Listed are: Joseph,Sarah,William.Caroline,Levi,Joseph,Anderson/Andrew?,a male age 3 which I can't read, Mary E., and Alfred Williams.
Hope this is helpful!
Mary

Posted: 12 Jun 2004 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Cole,
Is this the Jesse Brown who was 72 years old in 1870 Bullock County Al (made from Pike Co. Al) and his wife Elizabeth Brown?
Jesse Brown AGE 52 & Elizabeth age 45 was in Barbour County AL in 1850 with 11 children shown.

They had a son John Brown who married Sarah A. Cole d/o Thomas Cole & Agnes.

Posted: 12 Jun 2004 4:17PM GMT
Surnames: Garrett, Cole, King
I believe George Garrett s/o Jeremiah Garrett & Mary King married Axsach "Axy" Cole in Pike County, 18 Dec 1850.

But in 1860 Pike County Al census he is listed as George W. Gad ?

Mary Ann
per page

Find a board about a specific topic