Search for content in message boards

Nancy (Carter) Crayton descendants

Nancy (Carter) Crayton descendants

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 4:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jan 2012 11:09AM GMT
Surnames: Crayton, Carter
I strongly suspect Nancy (Carter) Crayton of Ascension [born 1877 marr 1898 to Richard Crayton] is the daughter of Morton/Moulton Carter, in which case she is a relaitve. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Nancy (Carter) Crayton descendants

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 10:40PM GMT
When replying to something that started on the companion board, please follow the link & reply on the board

Hello,
Did you check the Baton Rouge Diocese baptismal records? Would they have been Catholic? If so, the parents are listed with the child's christening as are often the grandparents as well.

I see some Carders married in Ascension Parish in the 1890's. Did they spell
their surname two different ways?
Heidi
in Colorado

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 2:12AM GMT
I don't know about the spelling. I know the elder Carter, Morton/Moulton was a minister, but I don't know which denomination, though as his son became a Baptist minister, perhaps baptist (grandsons became other kinds of Protestants). But someone could have married Catholic, even so. When I look at Baptisms for Baton Rouge they are handwritten and the Index isn't alphabetical, and it only goes to 08-09. Am I looking at the wrong link, or are you referring to the published volumes? I don't see anything about marriages...

Posted: 27 Nov 2011 11:13PM GMT
Here's her obituary:

New Orleans Times-Picayune 3/13/1966 -

On Friday, March 11, 1966, at 5:15 o'clock p.m, NANCY CRAYTON, wife of the late Richard Crayton; mother of Mrs. Shirley Jones, Mrs. Christine Birdlaw, Mrs. Alfreda Crayton, Miss Deola Crayton, and the late Selma Williams, Ernest, Sherman and Richard Crayton; daughter of the late Moton (sic) Carter and Charlotte Tucker; sister of Mrs. Luverda Jackson of Barton, La. Also survived by 48 grandchildren, nieces, nephews and other relatives and friends.

Relatives and friends of the family, also pastors, officers and members of First Emanuel, Greater St. Stephens and Austerlitz Baptist Churches, officers and members of Emanuel and the Macedonia Benevolent Association, employes of Arnaud and Vieux Carre Restaurants, are invited to attend the funeral.

Services from First Emanuel Baptist Church, 1822 (?)Carondelet St., on Tuesday, March 15, 1966 at 12 o'clock noon. Rev. Samuel Hadley (?), Pastor, Rev. Percy Simpson, Jr. officiating.

Interment in Providence Memorial Park.

Wake services Monday night at the above named church.

Serviced by Good Citizen.

Note: (?) indicates the print was hard to read.

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 6:27AM GMT
This is enourmously helpful - confirming her relation as Morton's daughter; correcting my spelling of her sister, Luverda's, name; and giving me her kother's maiden name. Thank you for youe help!

Posted: 18 Dec 2011 4:53AM GMT
Hello, this is awesome. Nancy Carter Crayton is my great great grandmother. one of the children Nancy and Richard Crayton had was Ernest Crayton, which had 3 children in which one was Carol Crayton Stephens which is my mother.

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 7:33PM GMT
Just saw this - the board didn't send me notice. My email is go2war4u at gmail.com say hello I am very interested to talk to you, cousin!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic