Search for content in message boards

Thomas Wilson Bolton and Ann Frances Bolton (nee Scroby)

Thomas Wilson Bolton and Ann Frances Bolton (nee Scroby)

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 2:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bolton and Scroby
I am looking for any information on the above couple for my family tree. Thomas was apparently a doctor and they had a son Francis John Bolton who was knighted. They sent their daughter, Eliza Ann, to Australia to marry a wealthy squatter, but she married Francis Gould Smith after she arrived. I have come to a dead end with my research, so would appreciate any leads.

Re: Thomas Wilson Bolton and Ann Frances Bolton (nee Scroby)

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 2:31AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Australia is a large place... do you have any idea of which state Eliza ended up in?

ICan tell you that there doesn't seem to be any marriage records for Eliza Bolton or Francis Gould in the NSW BDM index.

Cheers,

Bill Bolton (in Sydney)

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 8:55AM GMT
Surnames: Bolton and Scroby
Hi Bill

Thank you - Francis (Gould) Smith and Eliza Ann Bolton were married in Melbourne in 1853 and then "disappeared" for four years -they had a daughter, Frances Marion Smith, born in Ballarat in 1856. I can find nothing on them at all during that period, other than a census record for Francis Smith, holder of a mining right in Ballarat. I am assuming that they went to Ballarat to seek their fortune. They then moved to NSW and had more children. There is a story about the Smith side of the family on my family tree (Chappelow), thanks to another Public family tree.

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 5:13AM GMT
There are two NSW BDM birth entries that seem to fit...

7507/1863 SMITH ANNE E A FRANCIS G ELIZA A EDEN
7245/1861 SMITH SYDNEY H H FRANCIS ELIZA A EDEN

... and couple of death entries that might also fit....

1693/1893 SMITH FRANCIS G JAMES MARY E M SYDNEY
8233/1913 SMITH SARAH J FRANCIS ELIZA PARRAMATTA

There are a also a bunch of death records for Eliza A Smiths... tracing Smiths can be a pain (I have a Smith in my line too).

Cheers,

Bill

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 5:16AM GMT
Actually, this Eliza A SMITH death record looks like the one you are probably after....

4115/1866 SMITH ELIZA A THOMAS ANN F EDEN

Cheers,

Bill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic