Search for content in message boards

Abner Clark (where did he come from?)

Abner Clark (where did he come from?)

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clark
So far I have Abner Clark Sr. about 1720 or 1740 who was married to Hannah Gilbert in Phidadelphia PA and later moved to Fredrick Co. VA. My question is does anyone know where they came? I know they were Quakers.

Re: Abner Clark (where did he come from?)

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 1:59AM GMT
Try browsing on some of the mailing lists of PA counties. Chester County was a very helpful list with several knowledgeable people. Or if there is a list for Quakers, try looking there. It's been a while since I was on the lists, so I'm not too sure which might be the most helpful. If they were in Philadelphia at some point, then look there. It may take some reading before you find the right list, In my case, I got on the lists and "lurked" for a time. Eventually, I found that my ancestor came on a ship of Mennonites, but that was the result of a clusty.com or google.com search. Try different things. Just don't give up.

Lolene

Posted: 31 Aug 2009 9:26PM GMT
Surnames: Clark
Thanks for the info, I'll try looking for Chester Co..

Once again thanks

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 6:55AM GMT
I am a descendant of Abner and Hannah, and I bear the Clark surname. I too have wondered about this same question regarding their origins. They were married in 1760, and it is my belief that they were probably married at Christ Church in Philadelphia. There does appear to be a conflict regarding Abner's year of birth with some soures citing 1740 and others 1720. Intuitively I suspect he was born circa 1740. I have information regarding their descendants if that is of any interest.

Mike
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions