Search for content in message boards

Madding and Dodson circa late 1700s

Madding and Dodson circa late 1700s

Posted: 31 Jan 2004 10:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Oct 2005 1:52AM GMT
Surnames: Madding, Dodson, Mayes, Mays
Hello out there!
I am a descendant of Thomas Madding (1760-1810) and his wife Rachel Dodson (1759- circa 1820). Thomas was the son of John Madding (1725-1780). Rachel was the daughter of Lazarus Dodson (1728-1799) and his wife Alice Dodson (1734-after 1799).
Can anyone out there tell me where in Pittsylvania County these folks lived and are buried?
I descend from Thomas' and Rachel's son Rawley Madding (1785 Pittsy. Co.-1855 Maury Co., TN) and his first wife Sally Mays (or Mayes) through their daughter Ann T. Madding Roberson (1820 Pittsy. Co.-circa 1890 Obion Co., TN). Ann was my 3rd gr-gm. I am always willing to share what limited information I have on these folks.
Thanks!
David Jones
Richmond, Michigan

Re: Madding and Dodson circa late 1700s

Posted: 1 Feb 2004 3:02PM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2006 9:42PM GMT
In 1815 all the Madding farms were 14-18 miles SE of the Court House. This is the Sandy Creek of the Dan area where Terrys, Kings, Dodson, settled in the 18th c. I am interested in any connections you have for Maddings with Kings or Terrys.

Mike K. Williams (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2004 3:13PM GMT
I have Dodsons in my line, so I have some interest in the Madding family.

I have more than 2000 pictures of old Pittsylvania Co. graves. However, not a single Madding grave is among them.

It is very uncommon to find an enscribed stone from the 1700s in this county. I have found more than one cemetery where there were nothing but field stones marking the sunken graves.

Hildred Shelton (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2006 1:27AM GMT
i crossed Sandy Creek this afternoon, traveling Route 58 West from Halifax County, VA, in to Pittsylvania County, VA. Sandy Creek was about 5 car lengths on the Pittsylvania County side of the Pittsylvania/ Halifax line.

David Jones (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2006 10:41PM GMT
Surnames: Madding, Dodson
Thank you Hildred! Years ago when I lived in VA (and before I got into genealogy!!) I drove past the same spot many times and never realized my ancestors were there more than two hundred years earlier! Dave in Michigan

Posted: 22 Oct 2006 12:03AM GMT
Dave, do you think that John Madding, Sr., is from the family of the John Madding, spelled Maddin, in 1730 in Stafford County or from
John Maddin in 1750 in Frederick County or from neither one?

Of course, he is the John Madding referred to in 1780 in the land grant John Bennett received in Pittsylvania County located on Double Creek which give John Madding's boundary line as a marker in the boundaries of the grant.

The earliest deed I found for John Madding is in Halifax County, dated September 18, 1766, in which he purchased land on Double Creek from Thomas Watters or Wathers or mayber even Walters.
Obviously this land fell into Pittsylvania County when it was created out of the territory of Halifax in 1767. Unfortunately this deed gives
John Madding as being of Halifax County at the time of the purchase so there was no clue as to where John was before locating in Halifax County.

I found references in the Halifax County Court Orders (or Minutes)
for John Maddin beginning on July 10, 1752. In 1753 he was to be surveyor for a road from Difficult to Banister Bridge with all of the male tithables on the road to assist him. This is the earliest proven record I have found for John Maddin.

By any chance has your research located John Maddin earlier than 1752?

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 11:38PM GMT
Surnames: madding , dobson , hardy
the madding family married into the hardy family and moved to kentucky in the 1800's i have some limited info about them if any one needs it,,, john is my 8th great grandfather,, my email is paramedic.a53@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions