Search for content in message boards

Armp Blevins

Armp Blevins

Marilyn Blevins Givan (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 1999 3:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Mar 2003 11:13AM GMT
Surnames: BLEVINS, KEENAN
I am looking for information on my grandfather. His name is Armp (nickname?) Blevins and he was born in Oneida, TN in 1890. He had a brother named Monroe and another named Thomas Jefferson. There may have been other sibs. He married Mayme Keenan and had one son, Thomas James, born 11/26/21. I need any information on Armp or his parents to continue my search. THANKS!!

Re: Armp Blevins

Ray Terry (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 1999 9:50AM GMT
Edited: 25 Aug 2005 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: Blevins, Koger
According to my records, Isaac 'Miller' Blevins, b Wayne Co., KY Abt 1842, died Scott Co, TN on Nov 20 1917. Ten recorded children - Rosetta Blevins (my grandmother) and Armstead (Armp) Blevins, b Scott Co., TN, Apr 22 1887; m Hattie Koger on Jul 29 1910 at Scott Co., TN and he d Feb 20, 1926.
Seven children: Monnie, Minnie, Noah, Myrtle, Alta, Nobel and Odie.

Marilyn Givan (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 1999 2:33PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2003 11:14AM GMT
Surnames: BLEVINS, KEENAN
Mr.Terry, thanks for the info on Armp Blevins from Scott Co., TN. However, my grandfather married Mary Margaret Mayme Keenan and had only one son by her - my father, Thomas James Blevins born 11/26/21 in Jefferson County (Louisville) KY. That's where my confusion comes in. Any suggestions??? THANKS!!

Ray Terry (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 1999 7:19PM GMT
Edited: 25 Aug 2005 5:25PM GMT
Surnames: Blevins
Sorry that we didn't make a hit. If I find something, I'll pass it on. I bet there is a connection somewhere. I have 1st cousins that live in Oneida, Scott Co., TN that may be able to help us. Ray

Posted: 1 Jan 2000 11:54AM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2006 7:09PM GMT
Thanks, again, Mr. Terry. I also know that my grandfather, Armp, had a brother named Monroe and one named Thomas Jefferson. There may have been more but I am not aware of them. Any info you can come up with would be great. Thank you and Happy New Year.

Posted: 6 Jan 2000 4:35AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2006 12:09AM GMT
Surnames: BLEVINS, MUSE, CARSON, MENTON, TERRY
My gg grandfather was Armpsted (Armp) Blevins (b1820) in KY. According to the 1870 census he was in Scott County living with the following People: Helen (35); Eady (my g grandmother-age 16), Miney 15, Jonathan, 13, Shadroth 8, Houston 1.

I found an article regarding Houston Blevins in a book titled "Scott County Profiles" which states: Houston was the grandson of Johnson Blevins, who was born in Virginia in 1795. He (Johnson) moved to Pulaski County, Kentucky where he married Lottie Muse-they had 7 children (Johnson, Talton, Jacob, Pleas, Timoty, Ada and Polly); Lottie died, Johnson married Sarah Menton in Pulaski, Kentucky and they had three sons (Henry, Armp and Isaac). Armp married Marjorie Carson. After her death, he married Helen Terry, they had ten children..no names listed, but you have to be looking for one of these descendants. Many of the above can be found in Scott County census 1860-1910.
I have not verified any of this information, and I believe it was "told by" Houston Blevins in 1964.
I'm new at this, but I get real excited when I read something and it "seems to fit." I am going to McClung in Knoxville today and I hope I can help you more in a couple of days.

Posted: 7 Jan 2000 1:38AM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2003 11:17AM GMT
Surnames: BLEVINS
I did not think there could be more than one set of Blevins in a small place like Oneida with a name like Armp...Was I surprised! I looked in the census for you today but nothing makes sense (including ages, spelling and fathers), but I will list for you in the hopes it might help you or "another Blevins" looking for someone.
1900 Census-Scott Co., TN: Millard Blevins, Head of Household, b1842; Melvina, wife, b1853; John C. b1874; Marion 1879, Darby 1880, Liza 1881, Mary 1885; Armp 1886; Sarah D. 1887, Burdell, 1890.
1910 census ("trying" to pick up same family and sibling names you mentioned) Isacc, HOH, b1867; wife Adlade, 48; John, Armpstard, age 22; Burdell, Cooper, Epram, Hattie.
I also found in 1900 census:
Abe Blevins, 1870; Poly, 1870; Thomas, '84, Mary, '87; Martha, '89; Armp, 91; Henry (?) '94; Charly, '95; Daniel, '97; John M., 1900. Excuse spelling, dates-I copied and typed what I saw! Please let me know (eblenjr@aol.com) if you ever determine we're in the same line.

Posted: 7 Jan 2000 3:12PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2006 3:35PM GMT
Thanks for taking the time to look up my grandfather. I am still at a loss as to who he was. You are right. It's amazing how many "Armps" there are in such a little town. My grandfather died when my father (his only child by my grandmother) was only 4 years old and my father is dead. I can only rely on what my mother knows - which isn't much and I'm beginning to think she may be mistaken. What she has told me is that Armp had two brothers - Monroe and Thomas Jefferson - and I can't find these three siblings listed anywhere under the same parents. If I could - Jackpot!!

Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know if I find any more.

Robert Cross (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2000 7:11PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2003 11:18AM GMT
Surnames: BLEVINS, WRIGHT
My mother was a Blevins from Scott Co. Her oldest living relative is someone in your area. She is still very sharp of mind and will surely be glad to help you if she can. Her name is Lona Blevins Wright, and lives in Winfield. Her phone number is (423)569-5859. She is the daughter of John and Margret Blevins. She once lived on the South Fork, as most of the Blevins did. If this is the right track for you, I have a lot of info I will share. (the name Armstead is familiar, but I can't find it tonight.)get back if I can help.

Bob Cross (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2000 1:44PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2003 11:19AM GMT
Surnames: BLEVINS, SEWELL
I've tried to find THE Armp that you are looking for, and, I also found more than one. You might try the census from Pickett County. It is the county imediately west of the first cabin built by Jonathan Blevins in/about 1815. This cabin is on the WEST side of the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River, which was a considerable obstacle to traveling to Oneida. My Grandfather John Blevins(1872) married Margret Sewell from Picket County. Alas. they produced no ARMP.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions