Search for content in message boards

Jesse Cofer

Jesse Cofer

Chester Buchanan (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cofer, Copher, Boone, McQuitty, Wilhite, Shoush, Buchanan
I would like to exchange information about Jesse Cofer (Copher). He was born on June 29, 1756, in Culpepper Co., Virginia, the third of ten children. As a young man, Jesse moved to Kentucky no later than the winter of 1777-78, though I do not know why Jesse moved to Kentucky. His brothers Josiah, Jacob, George, and Reuben followed him to KY. In 1780 he married Elizabeth Boone, a daughter of George Boone and a niece of Daniel Boone. He followed his son Thomas to Boone Co., Missouri in 1819, where he died on September 16, 1822. Jesse seems to have changed the spelling of his surname when he moved from Kentucky to Missouri from Cofer to Copher.
>My line: Copher(KY)>McQuitty(MO)>Wilhite(MO)>Shoush(MO)>Buchanan(MO).

Cofer's Jesse

Monica (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Cofer, Hale, Syfers, Rostofer, Vadakin, Monnette
Hi! Saw your message posting regarding Cofer, Jesse. Did ya find anything. i have been searching for a Jessie Cofer (female_) and as a result, have found odds and ends regarding your Jesse. I do know that George was in the REV war. If you wish additional info, feel free to contact me.

Monica

Re: Jesse Cofer

Cathy (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2001 4:18AM GMT
I have information on parents -- and maybe 9 brothers and sisters of Jesse. Let me know if someone has not given that yet ...

Cathy

Re: Cofer's Jesse

Dawn (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2001 2:07AM GMT
Monica,
i had an Aunt Jessie......She married Ed Reesor....She died in 1937 giving birth to her 3 child.....if this is the same Jessie... You can contact me at:

katspaws13@aol.com

thanks

dawn booth crawford

Re: Cofer's Jesse

Monica (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2001 2:38PM GMT
Dawn

Thanks for replying! This is a diffreent Jessie however, I am interested... who is Jessies' parents and Grand parents? Mine were HEnderson Cofer and Maggie STeel. HEndersons dad was Joseph born in Mongtomery Co VA.

Monica

Dawn (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2001 3:51AM GMT
Kathy,
Where does your Jessie cofer come from.......My Aunt Jessie was born in Kentucky and Died in 1937 giving birth to her 3rd child......
you can e-mail me at

katspaws13@aol.com

Cathy (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2001 4:24AM GMT
Dawn: Your Aunt Jessie cannot be my male Jesse ancestor. He was born in 1756 in Virginia. Perhaps your aunt is a descendant also, but she is not in my direct line so I can't check it out. There seems to be ample research on this family, so I'm sure you will find the connection if one exists. Good luck.
Cathy

Posted: 30 Aug 2002 2:55PM GMT
I'm looking for the msg I posted last night and haven't found it, so just to be on the safe side I'm commenting again. You have solved a long time family mystery about being related to Daniel Boone. From info I just gathered this past weekend on the Internet, Jesse would have been a bro to my ggggggrandfather, if the info I have gathered is correct and I'm in the correct Cofer line.

Posted: 30 Aug 2002 3:05PM GMT
I read up on Daniel Boone today, and perhaps Jesse moved to KY for the same reason. "More elbow room" and good farming land. You have to admire these pioneers....I always have the feeling that with each move they were not better off as far as economic and living conditions are concerned. We can all be grateful to them that they did do this (I wouldn't last 10 miles in a covered wagon.) You said George also made the move....I did have a report he received land from the government and had a plantation with 23 slaves (abt 1780)

Chester Buchanan (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2002 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Copher, Cofer, McQuitty, Boone, Wilhite, Shoush, Buchanan
From the records I can find, I believe (no diret proof at this time - just association with others) that Jesse when to KY as part of a militia relief group from VA during the summer or early winter of 1777. Though his objective was probably land, as with the majority of other immigrants, militia service was a way getting safely to KY.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions