Search for content in message boards

How do I find out if I am on Cherokee Roll?

How do I find out if I am on Cherokee Roll?

Sherri Mitchem (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2001 5:11PM GMT
I am half indian, Cherokee. I have my grandparents names and I want to search for the roll number to see if my Ggrandmother is on it. Help me please. I am the Ggranddaughter to the Hoffmans.
THANK YOU!!!

Cherokee Rolls

Posted: 19 Apr 2001 9:20AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2001 1:52AM GMT
Hello, I know of several ways to search the Dawes Final Rolls. One if to go to the National Archives website, http://www.nara.gov and go the research room. On that page look in the left hand colum and find the genealogy link. When you click that link it will take you to a page of links of how to search. Go down the page til you find the Native American list. You can click any of the following: Dawes Commision, Index to Final Rolls, and Final Rolls of citizens and freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes. You can also search the 1896 Citizenship applications. Any of these links will tell you how to search that specific database. If you need more help please let me know and I can search if you would want me to.

shay92@hotmail.com

Sincerely,

Shannon

Cherokee Rolls

shay92@hotmail.com (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2001 9:14PM GMT
Dear Shannon,
Thank You so very much for replying to my message. I am so in the dark on these matters but I am very proud of my heritage. I will search this out and if I can't figure out what I need to I will take you up on the offer for help. You are so very kind and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Sincerely,
Sherri Mitchem
P.S. I will let you know either way if I do found out or if I don't. Thanks Again!!!!

Re: How do I find out if I am on Cherokee Roll?

Posted: 12 Jul 2001 4:28AM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2002 1:20AM GMT
first you have to find a grandparent, great great great that is on the rolls , (only a grandparent or parent, no aunts or uncles, cousin ,
get their roll number and then send in your paper work.
i have a easier way of looking on the dawes rolls and i will send you the site. my email is.
chewy@crosstel.net
the nail or nara is very hard to look thru, and i finally found a site that is better.
good luck,
frances of ok.

Posted: 26 Jan 2003 9:10PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Please share with me an easy way for finding this information. Would like to trace a gggrandmother. Thanks Louise

frances chapin (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2003 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
please email thru your computer, this way i can forward the web site for look ups.
thanks; frances chewy@crosstel.net

Posted: 23 Feb 2003 5:24PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2005 2:53PM GMT
Visit the OKGenWeb Cherokee Nation site at http://www.rootsweb.com/~itcherok/
specifically http://www.rootsweb.com/~itcherok/research/genealogy_tips.ht... for an excellent tutorial on how to get started.

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 9:22PM GMT
Sherri Mitchem - did you ever find out if you are on the Cherokee Roll? My maiden name is Mitchem - and my grandfather lived in Jonesboro, Arkansas - John Mitchem. I know he was part Cherokee, and I am trying to find out more.

Thank you
Karen

Posted: 6 Sep 2010 6:24PM GMT
Sherri --

I came to this site to post a query about my Indian heritage. My g-g-g-g-grandmother was Theodosia Hoffman. She married John D. Beauchamp.

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw your message stating you were related to "Hoffmans".

It would be too serendipitous if this is Theodosia's family.

My mom always told me one of her grandmothers was a full-blooded Cherokee but I am grasping at straws because I don't know her name. Theodosia MIGHT BE half-or full-blooded. Her grand-daughter, Sarah Elizabeth Jeans Roberts has strong Indian features.

Please contact me direct at LibralLady@aol.com if you want to pursue this further.

Thanks!
d
(Dawn, 72-year-old AACCKKK!! mother of (4), grandmother of (11), part-time writer/genealogist, RECENTLYRETIREDYEAY!)

“Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.”
—Anonymous

Re: Cherokee Rolls

Posted: 31 Oct 2010 12:19AM GMT
My ggreatgrandfather is Charles Rozell Holden b July 22, 1848, I think he may have been full blood Cherokee, I will try to find if he was on the Dawes Rolls, but any help would be appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic