Search for content in message boards

St. Joseph Home

St. Joseph Home

Posted: 31 May 2008 11:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blood and Aungst
I'm researching Edna (Blood) Steward. She was also known as Velma Aungst. She was adopted by a Minnie and Daniel Aungst. In the 1900 census she is listed as being from the St. Joseph home. She was living with the Aungst's at that time in Sunfield, Eaton Co., Michigan. Does anyone know anything about a St. Joseph Home in Michigan? She had a brother named Archie Monroe Blood that may have also been at that or another home.

Thanks,
Kerri

Re: St. Joseph Home

Posted: 22 Jul 2012 1:34PM GMT
I was just told there was a St. Joseph's Orphanage in Marquette MI. It was located on corner of Fisher St. and 6th (In Marquetter proper). It burned down and after a few years Holy Family Orphanage was built to replace St. Joseph's.

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 7:22AM GMT
I have contacted the catholic diocese that still exists on the same block in Marquette. Their archives are currently closed and there was the fire mentioned above in 1903, so the records may have been destroyed. The "History of the diocese of Sault Ste. Marie and Marquette" is available online. If you can get through it, there is a history of the orphanage and school. I downloaded the kindle version, which also had a few pictures. Link is below.
http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofsault02rezeuoft/histo...

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 7:24AM GMT
Surnames: Lompre, Guenard, Fifer, Deitz

I am looking for information on 5 Lompre sisters left at the St. Joseph's Orphanage in Marquette. Melinda, Amelia, Exilda are three of them. One could be named Rose and the 5th is unknown.
Their parents were Maxim Lompre and Melia LaForest. I have seen many variations on the spellings of Lompre- Lamprey, Lomprey, Lumphrey, Longpre, Lompres. Maxim has been recorded as Maxine, and Melia as Emmaline. They were French Canadian.

Melinda married Joseph Posont in nearby Ishpeming, MI in 1900. They lived in Manistique, MI. B. 1879, d 1919.

Amelia married Frank Fifer in 1898 in Superior, WI. B 1877, d 1915.

Exilda married Henry Guenard in 1898 in Superior, WI. B. 1884, death unknown. Henry was married Mabel Peterson by 1910.

Rose had a child with Henry Deitz in 1903 in Superior, WI. I have no birth, marriage, or death record for her. She was listed as an inmate and seamstress at St Joseph's in 1910.

I know nothing about the 5th girl at all. She was not at the orphanage in 1910 and was born after 1880.

These girls had at least 6 older brothers, Joseph, Narcisse, John, Philip, Maxim, and George, born between 1862 and 1875.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions