Search for content in message boards

William Bean b. 1730 (m. Naomi Bates 1753)

William Bean b. 1730 (m. Naomi Bates 1753)

Posted: 2 Dec 2002 3:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Aug 2003 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: Bean
Hi everyone,
I'm researching my line back to William Bean, born in 1730 in Aberdeen, Scotland (some say he was actually born in Ireland, or even in Virginia). His line later settled down in Johnson County, Arkansas, where there are still quite a few Beans. I was wondering if anyone has any information on William's ancestry. I've read a few accounts that linked him to the William Bean of Inverness Shire (1635), but I've not seen any proof of this. Can anyone help to provide some information on his pedigree? Thanks in advance!
Clint

Re: William Bean b. 1730 (m. Naomi Bates 1753)

Laurie barton (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2003 2:16AM GMT
My line is from William Bean and Naomi Bates. William from Inverness Scotland went to Ireland where he had several children who came to America with him. Are you familiar with the Bean family books published by Bernie Bean of the bean family? they are still the reference for this family and this family is in the books they have. I can hook you up with this info. And the web site of the Clan MacBean at www.tartans.com. This is our official clan registered in Scotland for this family. If you are related to this William you are a member of this clan... have lots of stuff... what line are you on from this family? mine if old Issac to Robert M. Bean laura

sheri (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2006 7:58PM GMT
hi-
i think i posted to you already, but have done so many today i want to be sure- would you mind sharing you info for this lines descendancy & ancestry with me so i can straighten out my Williams ??
thx-Sheri

Posted: 8 Dec 2007 6:17AM GMT
Classification: Biography
William Bean 40, Nomiah Bean 30, William Bean 13, Thomas Bean 3 are recorded in the Charles Town, SC council meeting for Jan 5, 1768 as having arrived on the Admiral Hawke, John McAdam, Master, lately arrived from Londonderry with "poor Irish potestants on the encouragement of the Bounty given by the Act of the General Assembly passed the 25th July 1761". Likely the ship had docked the year before. This William appears to have been born in 1727...so I venture to say that the 1730 date being put forth by Clan records is incorrect. I have no evidence for the date of marriage to Nomiah (possibly Naomi). Not mentioned in this list is Agnes born July 6, 1766. Note that Nomiah was ten years younger than William and would have only been 17 when William was born, and had no other living children until ten years later, which sounds as if she might either be a second wife, or a tragedy or absence occurred, no one knows.

Where was he born? No one knows for sure, we can only speculate. The following is NOT factual. Bernie Bean thought the family came from Inverness as he found records of a William Bean birth in 1727 in the Scottish records (they are still available on microfilm and my father and I have both separately confirmed this find). That was, I think, in the Croy\Dalcross parish where several other Beans and Macbeans are known to have lived. There are several in the Croy graveyard, but these are later. I believe there was once a Scots Bible in the family, which may have gone to the Storments that had such records, but it is long lost.

The Croy records show William MacBean of Drumlanvel (lost location) had children: William (1727), Isabel (1729), Ann (1732), and Donald (1735). William MacBean appears to have had an older brother John MacBean of Drumlanvel, who also had a son Donald.

Was this line involved with the battle at Culloden (not a long walk from Croy)? There were 27 MacBeans listed as prisoners after the rebellion, but none corresponded to those listed here, though cousins, uncles, etc. are likely. If you ever go to Croy, it is also a short walk from Fort George, a huge fort, perhaps the largest in the world at that time, erected to keep the Scots in line. Prisoners were pardoned and deported, unless they died on the prisoner ships docked in the Thames until their smell forced their release.

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 11:31PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: BEAN
I just ran into an analysis of the ship's list for the Earl of Donegal, in which the age of the passengers is scrutinized. It appears that ages may have been rounded out. Note that both Nomiah and William are even numbers 40 and 30, in which case William Bean may not have been born 1727 and Nomiah may not have been as young as we thought when her son William (1754) was born. This throws open to question which William this is, if the birthdate is unsure.

The link is here: http://www.geocities.com/earlofdonegal/ANALYZE.htm

The date 1730 came from Bernie Bean, but in a letter to my father, he stated that perhaps he made a mistake. He also was the source of information that this William Bean moved to Ireland at the age of 10. That and his 1730 birth year were from some record he had made and subsequently lost; the source forgotten.

Posted: 20 Mar 2008 8:56PM GMT
yes i think that i am in this line my name is codye bean if you have any information about william & naomi i would love to know more i have a little it goes from my father johnny bean all the way to william thank you very much

Posted: 14 May 2008 1:15AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Bean, McMaster, Bates
"Greg and Cunningham sent their brig Chichester from Belfast with 146 passengers and Caldwell, Vance and Caldwell dispatched their ship Admiral Hawke from Londonderry with 91 passengers. Both vessels arrived at Charleston in the last days of December 1767." This Admiral Hawke brought William Bean, his wife Nomiah (Naomi?, possibly Bates) and three children. The citation came from the following interesting web site re. the Bounty Irish program in South Carolina:
http://www.electricscotland.com/familytree/magazine/augsep20...
The page is under the name McMaster, which is interesting in itself, as the master of the Admiral Hawke was a McMaster. I wonder if there was a connection?

Posted: 14 May 2008 1:16AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Bean, McMaster, Bates
"Greg and Cunningham sent their brig Chichester from Belfast with 146 passengers and Caldwell, Vance and Caldwell dispatched their ship Admiral Hawke from Londonderry with 91 passengers. Both vessels arrived at Charleston in the last days of December 1767." This Admiral Hawke brought William Bean, his wife Nomiah (Naomi?, possibly Bates) and three children. The citation came from the following interesting web site re. the Bounty Irish program in South Carolina:
http://www.electricscotland.com/familytree/magazine/augsep20...
The page is under the name McMaster, which is interesting in itself, as the master of the Admiral Hawke was a McMaster. I wonder if there was a connection?

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 1:02PM GMT
Surnames: Bean
Does anyone have any information on John Bean, a son of William and Naomi? I believe I am descended from him through one of his daughters. I know he was most likely the first of William and Naomi's children born in the US. He was born in Duncan's Creek, SC sometime around 1771. Any information would be much appreciated! My branch settled in Alabama.

Thanks,

Heather

Posted: 2 Oct 2009 2:24AM GMT
"Surviving partial transcripts of a church-affiliation census made 1766 include William Bean, Derryloran parish, Killybearn townland, County Londonderry. He may have been the William Bean, age 40, who sailed with wife & children on ship Admiral Hawke from Londonderry and arrived Charles Town, South Carolina, late in 1767. He may also have been the William born May 1727, son of William MacBean, in Croy or Dalcross Parish, Inverness-shire. Seek related information." - posted by my father in Aug 18, 2000 on a Londonderry board here.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions