Search for content in message boards

Robert HUNT (died 1716 in America)

Robert HUNT (died 1716 in America)

Posted: 27 May 2009 4:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 May 2009 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Hunt, Woolman
Robert HUNT came from Gloucestershire to Burlington County, West Jersey in 1700 (reportedly). He was recorded as a member of Burlington Yearly Meeting (Quaker) in 1704. He married Elizabeth Woolman, aunt of Quaker minister John Woolman, in 1708. They lived at Mount Pleasant, a Quaker community located in Mansfield Township, Burlington County, West Jersey. Any information regarding his English roots will be greatly appreciated. Robert Mordecai Hunt

Re: Robert HUNT (died 1716 in America)

Posted: 29 May 2009 3:44PM GMT
Information about Quaker records for Gloucestershire here:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engqfhs/Research/counties/...

I don't think these are online anywhere.
It looks as though it's Gloucestershire Record Office you'll need to contact for the Quarterly and Monthly Meeting records. These will have records of births (though of course you don't know he was actually born into a Quaker family).

However, seems a good place to start. The Quarterly and Monthly meeting minutes might make other references to Robert or other Hunt familiy members in various capacities and might mention transfers of Membership, travels and emigrations.

Other approaches(e.g. wills) reveal too many Hunt families all over Gloucestershire. Need to use Quaker records first to try to narrow down, I think.

Note Quaker records for Bristol (also in Glos at that time) are elsewhere. [I suspect that if he was from Bristol, a MAJOR city at the time, records in America would probably have recorded Bristol rather than Gloucestershire).

Good luck
Sonia

Posted: 29 May 2009 3:52PM GMT
Glos Record Offic under Archives here:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/index.html

Hopefully the GENUKI site will be of further interest when you manage to pin-point where he came from.

Good luck
Sonia

Posted: 29 May 2009 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: HUNT, WOOLMAN
I didn't know that Bristol was part of Gloucestershire during that period. Thank you for that information.

Two historical Bristol residents, William Penn and James Logan, sailed from the Isle of Wight aboard the Canterbury, or Canterbury Merchant, on September 3, 1699, reaching Philadelphia on December 3, 1699. Perhaps Robert Hunt was aboard. That would allow him to move to Burlington County in 1700 thus agreeing with information recorded in an old history book. Furthermore, if he lived in Bristol that would agree with an old family letter stating, ''his father [Robert Hunt] came from Gloucester in England."

During that period there was a Quaker from Bristol named William Hunt who died in 1687. He is the only Quaker from Gloucestershire named Hunt I've found. Perhaps they are related. It's the best information I have.

Thanks again for your timely and important reply. Robert M. Hunt

Re: Further thoughts (Part1)

Posted: 29 May 2009 9:07PM GMT
Glad to be of help.

1) For further clarification, the north and, I think, central parts of Bristol were Gloucestershire. The south part of Bristol was Somerset.
Be aware that some districts that today we think of as Bristol are often in records as parts of Glos or Somerset, without ANY mention of Bristol .... e.g. Clifton and Westbury in Glos, and Bedminster in Somerset.

2) If a FAMILY MEMBER mentioned that he came from 'Gloucester' that to me would tend to imply the city of Gloucester rather than either Bristol or wider Gloucestershire. However, you quite often see the county referred to as Gloucester, and Bristol as being in Gloucester ... so I reckon it's not conclusive; you're right to keep an open mind and consider all 3 possibilities!
And the 4th possibility, that although as an adult he was known to come from Gloucester, if it WAS Bristol and he was actually born south of the river, his baptism record (if not born into Quaker family) might actually be in Somerset!

3) Wonder if the following might be helpful. Was found on the Royal Historical Society website, but photocopy should also be available via research library or try the B&GAS website itself:

Lacock, Richard. 'Quakers in Gloucester : the first fifty years, 1655-1705'. Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 125 (2007), 259-93. ISSN 00681032.
RECORD FROM ROYAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY DATABASE. Reference number: 200803757.

Good luck!
Sonia

Re: Further thoughts (part 2)

Posted: 29 May 2009 9:35PM GMT
Main sources for Wills (Glos and Bristol)

1) Gloucestershire - wills proved at local courts:
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=17142
Includes a few for HUNTs from Painswick, which is where the WOOLMANs came from. Might be worth checking these?Otherwise, too many, wide-ranging, to pinpoint as yet.

2) Glos Wills proved at PCC (generally, wealthier people in South of Britain; explained on website)
The National Archives website has the PCC wills:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/wills.asp
Wills are downloadable for £3.50.
I read, googling, that some of the Quaker HUNTs were merchants. Included in PCC wills is 1696 Henry Hunt, merchant of Bristol. Maybe worth checking as so easy to get hold of?
[Note this is one database where you also need to check Somerset and Glos, as just Bristol may miss some! You, then, of course, also need a pretty good knowledge which villages are practically Bristol ... The one that jumped out at me from quick perusal was one in Long Ashton]

3. Wills proved at Bristol. Not online. Need to contact Bristol Record Office.

Sonia

Re: Further thoughts (Part1)

Posted: 29 May 2009 10:51PM GMT
I tried the BGAS Website but the issue with the article by Richard Lacock isn't online yet. Missed by just one volume! That is an outstanding resource and I'll keep trying.

Americans would use "Gloucester" rather than "Gloucestershire".

Found more Quakers from Bristol named Hunt. In 1663, Elizabeth Hunt wed John Hill in a Quaker ceremony at Bristol, England. Her father is listed as John Hunt. Both Elizabeth and John are very popular Hunt family names during the 1700s.

My mind is open but Robert Hunt probably came from an English Quaker family. If he were a recent convert it's unlikely that he would marry a well-established and prominant Quaker like Elizabeth Woolman. Her Woolman family came from Painswick. So it's conceivable that the Woolman and Hunt families were acquainted, possibly related, in England.

It's becoming increasingly evident to me that my best chances for success are to search for Robert Hunt's English roots in the Bristol area. I recall that the Church of LDS has a microfilm with Quaker records from Bristol and nearby communities.

Again, you've been very kind to spend so much time helping me. If you have any more suggestions or questions I'm only too happy to hear them. Perhaps I will have the opportunity to return the favor someday. Robert M. Hunt

Re: Further thoughts (part 2)

Posted: 29 May 2009 11:34PM GMT
Again, excellent ideas and Websites. Wasn't aware of the PCC Website but will explore it.

Am aware of the Robert Hunt, both father and son, from Painswick listed on the GRO Website. Unfortunately, I've found vital records in Painswick for both of them long after 1700. But my mind's not completely closed on them. It was a Quaker tradition to name the eldest son for a grandfather. In my Robert Hunt's family the eldest male child was named Robert for two generations. So the Robert Hunt's from Painswick still interest me. Perhaps there was a third one and he came to West Jersey.

Have found only one more likely Robert Hunt in Gloucestershire. According to the GRO, he died in 1686 and his will was probated at Wotton under Edge. He was a yeoman and so was my Robert. His death date and my Robert's presumed birth date are not problematic. He's a prime candidate and just might be my Robert's father. So I'll send for a copy of his will.

Thanks, Robert M. Hunt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic