Search for content in message boards

CLARK, Walter

CLARK, Walter

Posted: 17 May 2008 11:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Walter CLARK b c1810 at Jedburgh. Parents (possibly) George CLARK & Isabell TURNBULL. Walter was married 1838 in Brant County,Ontario and drowned 1858 at Brantford,Ontario, Canada. Family history has it that Walter came to Canada in *minor* life. Am coming to Jedburgh late Sept to get a feel of the area of his birth.
Thank you
Betty

Re: CLARK, Walter

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 4:43PM GMT
Betty

Would be very interested to learn more of your Jedburgh Clark ancestry as there may be a link with mine.

If your Walter Clark was the son of George Clark and Isabell Turnbull he was born on 7 Sept 1818, Jedburgh, Roxburgh, a bit later than you think but still OK for an 1838 marriage in Canada. His parents married 2 March 1815, Wilton, Roxburgh

I'm decended from Helen Clark, b abt 1796, probably Jedburgh and Francis Paterson. Their daughter Agnes married an Andrew Johnstone, 16 May 1856, Jedburgh and 2 of their children Francis and Helen/Ellen married Clark siblings, Walter and Catherine.

I know of one other Clark/Turnbull marriage - Walter Clark and Janet Turnbull who had several children between about 1777 and 1790, Wilton, Roxburgh, perhaps suggesting a close relationship between the families over the generations.

I notice a sibling of your Walter carries Scott as a middle name, the mother of my Francis Paterson was a Margaret Scott born Jedburgh 7 July 1763.

I feel there may be a link between our respective lines but haven't worked out what it is yet.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip very much indeed.

Regards,

George

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 6:15PM GMT
Betty,

The plot thickens.

Firstly, it does look as if the parents of George Clark may well be Walter Clark and Janet Turnbull.

However, the Walter that was the son of George Clark and Isabell Turnbull would seem to still be in Jedburgh, Scotland at the time of the 1841 census. You can check this out on Freecen initially. Search for George Clark, 1841 census, Roxburghshire, he's the 56 yr old.

So, he either didn't arrive in Canada until after 1841 or his parents aren't George Clark and Isabell Turnbull.....

Regards,

George

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Turnbull,
George
Thanks for the message.

The plot thickens...sounds like a mystery and isn't that what genealogy is all about?
I am not sure who the parents of my Walter Clark are. A woman searched the Latter Day Saints records and said the only Walter Clark she found was christened 02 Nov 1818 Jedburgh...parents being George Clark and Isabell Turnbull.
I have no records to prove that this indeed is my Walter.The date you have for the marriage of George & Isabell is what was given to me by woman at LDS. And family lore(never to be taken as gospel!!) has Walter being married in 1838 here in Brant County as stated in my query. I do wish I had more concrete info before my trip but oh well.
If my Walter hadn't decided to cross the canal on the ice, that evidently was not strong enough to hold a man,and went through and drown before age 50 maybe more data would have survived. Who knows? Maybe this is just one of the mysteries we endure through life.
Your posts today were like a birthday present...my 76th today. My sisters took me to lunch yesterday. My younger sister(63) has to work today but my other sister (80) can go any time so yesterday it was. (that's a bit off topic but maybe interesting???)
Thanks
Betty

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 6:19AM GMT
Hi Betty

A belated happy birthday to you.

I've had another look at this and it's bad news I'm afraid.

Walter Clark, son of George Clark and isabell Turnbull is not your Walter I'm afraid.

Having spotted him in the 1841 census for Jedburgh I took a look at the 1851 census to see if he was listed and sure enough he is, still resident on the High Street, Jedburgh.

I then tried to see if I could identify his death and he died in Jedburgh, Scotland in 1891 age 73, residing on the High Steet at the time of his death.

Have you been able to track down a Canadian marriage record for your Walter which might indicate his parents. Does he appear in the 1851 census for Canada with an indication of where he might have been born. Was there a death record which might indicate parents? Does the nameing pattern of his children provide any clues to likely names of parents?

However, Walter is not a common Scottish forename but is disproportionatelt common in the Borders so he may well have been from their.

Regards,

George
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions