Search for content in message boards

Johann Christoph WAG(GO)NER

Johann Christoph WAG(GO)NER

Susan King (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2006 2:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WAGGONER/WAGONER/WAGNER
There was a Johann Christoph WAGNER (all various spellings considered) (b. bet. 1750-60 in Prussia) who was a Hessian Chaplain in the Ansbach-Bayreuth Regiment in the American Revolution. In 1783, after having been a p.o.w in Frederick, MD since being captured at Yorktown, and staying in MD an extra while to marry, he was granted 400 acres in Clements Twp., NS. By at least 1784, he had claimed his land and moved to Bear River. However, after having "run afoul of Mr. Bailey," a fellow clergyman in Annapolis, and some other issues, Christoph(er) sold his land and "probably returned to Germany." That occurred by Nov. 1785 or '86. Hessian expert John Merz and I, believe, rather, that he returned to western MD, Allegany Co.

Now, Stadtler states that "his [Johann Christoph's] sons remained in NS" and while Terrence Punch suspects that those at the North Range descend from Richard, those at Weymouth Bridge could belong to either Nicholas or J. C. Wagner. What I don't understand is, if he did leave sons behind in NS, why he would leave behind such young sons? At least one, had to have been only a baby?

Then, there may have been a second Johann Christoph which confuses the matter.???

I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

Susan

Re: Johann Christoph WAG(GO)NER

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 2:55AM GMT
Any new info on this topic? I descend from this line as well.

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 6:38PM GMT
Hi,

Researching Johann Christoph has been one brick wall after another. However, I now know that there were two Johann Christoph Wag(go)ners in the same area of Nova Scotia at roughly the same time. I'm convinced that mine returned to Maryland after no more than a few years in N.S. The other, also a German immigrant, remained and left descendants. My J.C. did have sons, perhaps five of them, but they were young and most likely all returned to MD with their parents. Not saying that you don't descend from my same J.C., but if your more recent ancestors are from Canadan, I would research in depth the other J.C. first. And, if you can, I would love for you to keep this thread updated on what you find as it might help my search as well. Thanks!

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 7:22PM GMT
What I was told was that my JC returned to Germany because of an altercation with clergy in Annapolis Royal, he was a Hessian Soldier, and he left behind his sons when he went home and they were my descendants.

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 8:36PM GMT
Well, it would be great to figure this out for certain. There seems to be so much confusion about these guys. I believe Terrence Punch may be the one who has offered the theory that J.C. left sons/descendants in Nova Scotia. The J.C. who returned to Maryland, the Hessian, Chaplain of the Ansbach-Bayreuth Regiment, probably didn't have any children prior to 1783 and he apparently left N.S. within two or three years after arriving, so if he left any sons, they would've been quite young. The J.C. in Maryland also had at least several sons as they show up on indenture lists.

I have a pdf compiled by John Merz that may help explain the Hessian J.C. better, but I can't post it on here. If you would like me to send it to you, you can e-mail me at susanking@carolina.rr.com and I'll be glad to e-mail it to you and we can discuss it.

I suppose it's possible that J.C. could've left behind one or two baby sons. I would like to think it's not likely, but I have no documentation to rule it out.

Susan

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 8:39PM GMT
PS I began a DNA study through FamilyTreeDNA a few years ago, so there is y-DNA data from a confirmed descendant of J.C. of Maryland. If you have a male direct descendant, with the name Wag(go)ner, we could do DNA and compare and that could really answer our question! Do you know any males who still retain the Waggoner surname and are from your line?

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 9:29PM GMT
I was told mine left young children here, or that was what was suspected. I would assume his wife may have been from here? Maybe didn't want to leave? I sent you an email. monnie32cm@gmail.com.

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 9:59PM GMT
I believe a book on the Hessian Soldiers who came to America (NS) was written by Patricia Martin an English researcher who did extensive research on the Hessian soldiers of the American Revolution a few years ago, there may be a copy at the Shelburne Genealogical Society as she told me she had presented them with a copy: Contact
Kim Robertson Walker
Archivist/Office Manager
Shelburne County Archives & Genealogical Society
168 Water St
PO Box 248, Shelburne NS
gencentre@ns.sympatico.ca
902-875-4299

And this book is at the Digby Library, likely by the same John Merz mentioned above: Phone: (902) 245-2163 digby@nsy.library.ns.ca
The Hessians of Nova Scotia
Merz, Johannes Helmut, 1924-
ISBN: 0969744544 (pbk.) $25.00
Personal Author: Merz, Johannes Helmut, 1924-
Title: The Hessians of Nova Scotia / compiled by Johannes Helmut Merz.
Other title: Subtitle from cover: Personal data files of 234 Hessian soldiers who settled in Nova Scotia after the American Revolution.
Edition: Updated Ed.
Publication info: Hamilton, Ont. : German Canadian Historical Book Pub., 1997.
Physical descrip: 269 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 28 cm.
Held by: 2FROMBK1 AHEA SBACK SBW WDI
Subject term: Hessian mercenaries--Nova Scotia--Directories.
Geographic term: Nova Scotia--Genealogy.

Carol Harding

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 10:10PM GMT
Thank you

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 11:34PM GMT
So nice of you to give us these, Carol! Thank you!! I have the second book by John Merz and in fact, that's where I got most of my info. John and I corresponded for a few years before he passed away and he was convinced that my J.C. came back to Maryland. I have never heard of the first book, though, by Patricia Martin, and it could be very helpful. Unfortunately, I live in NC and am not able anytime soon to get to N.S. Any ideas if I could buy a copy somewhere?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic