Search for content in message boards

JONES, William and Lucy of KY. ca. 1790's

JONES, William and Lucy of KY. ca. 1790's

Bill Jones (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2004 6:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JONES, THOMPSON, BURKETT
Seeking information about William and Lucy (Thompson) JONES of Kentucky.

According to biographical information of their son, Harrison Jones, b. June 10, 1812, Maysville, KY:

"Harrison Jones is a native of Kentucky, born in Maysville, June 10, 1812, the second of three children of William and Lucy (Thompson) JONES, natives of Kentucky, of Welsh descent.

When he was three years of age his parents moved to Green County, Ohio, and three years later to Lower Sandusky, now Freemont; thence, when he was nine years old to Canada, but a few months later returned to Ohio and located in Miami County. While living in the latter county, his father went to New Orleans and died there of yellow fever.

When he was 17 seventeen years of age, his mother moved to Indiana with his older brother, and he remained in Miami County till attaining his majority.

About 1839 he moved to Carroll County, Indiana, but returned to Ohio a year later and remained till 1845, when he came to Allen County, and rented a farm about eight years. In the meantime he bought 150 acres of land in Fairfield Township, DeKalb County, to which he has added till he now has 200 acres, all under a h igh state of cultivation.

Mr. Jones was married June 13, 1833, to Elizabeth Burkett, a native of Ohio, daughter of Christian Burkett. They had two children--Joseph and Lucy, and to Mr. Jones by his second marriage was born one daughter--Silvia. Mrs. Jones is a member of the German Methodist Church. In politics Mr. Jones is a Republican."

Biography of Harrison Jones, page 575, History of DeKalb County, Indiana. Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, 1885

I have been able to trace some of the moves of the William Jones' through census information. The problem is that census' of that time only listed a head of household and only numbers for other members of the household. I have not been able to determine anything conclusively.

I would appreciate any and all help in gathering more information and some documentation on William and Lucy Jones.

Thank you,

Bill Jones
Winfield, KS

Re: JONES, William and Lucy of KY. ca. 1790's

Posted: 6 Jul 2006 12:46AM GMT
Hi!

Do you have proof that Lucy, wife of William Jones was Lucy Thompson? I have reviewed the original marriage records in Mason Co., KY and haven't found that marriage. However, there is a marriage of a Lucinda Ginn to William Jones in 1809. According to the marriage bonds her father's name was Thomas Ginn.

I could be all wrong, but I thought I might let you know.

Donna Wolf

Re: JONES, William and Lucy of KY. ca. 1790's

Posted: 6 Jul 2006 12:46AM GMT
Hi!

Do you have proof that Lucy, wife of William Jones was Lucy Thompson? I have reviewed the original marriage records in Mason Co., KY and haven't found that marriage. However, there is a marriage of a Lucinda Ginn to William Jones in 1809. According to the marriage bonds her father's name was Thomas Ginn.

I could be all wrong, but I thought I might let you know.

Donna Wolf

per page

Find a board about a specific topic