Search for content in message boards

Porters of North Carolina

Porters of North Carolina

Posted: 5 Nov 2000 10:52AM GMT
Edited: 25 Aug 2001 8:04PM GMT
I am researching the Porters of North Carolina and would like to communicate with fellow researchers. My 5g grandparents were Joseph Porter, Sr. (d 1820)and his wife Sarah Reynolds (b abt 1745). Would like to exchange information. Waiting to hear from you . . . . . Ilo Ann Porter Hiller

Porters in Robeson Co., NC

Posted: 6 Nov 2000 2:49PM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2001 5:22PM GMT
I'm looking for info on my great grandfather, Cornie?? Porter. My great grandmother Annie Mae Locklear had two children by him, one being my grandfather, James Coy Porter. I don't think they were ever married. My grandmother has told me that he came up from Florida with some other family members. My grandfather knew his grandparents but he passed away and nobody else really knows much. Have you come across any Porters in that area of NC? Thanks.

James Coy Porter

Posted: 7 Nov 2000 7:35AM GMT
Edited: 25 Aug 2001 8:04PM GMT
Sorry I do not have anything on Porters in Robeson County, NC, at this time. I have been following up leads from Wilkes County where my particular branch of Porters were located. I will keep on the lookout for any connection to Annie Mae Locklear and get back to you. The only "Coy" that appears in my database at this time is Willard Coy Porter (b. Jan 21, 1919) His parents were John W. Porter (b. abt 1880) and Carlie Ada Moore (b. abt 1896).

Henry Hamilton Porter

Loren Simms (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2000 6:56PM GMT
Howdy. Am searching on information on Henry Hamilton Porter or his father: Christopher Columbus Porter. I know that H.H. Porter was born in Lincoln, Lincoln County, North Carolina November 29, 1788. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Loren

Re: James Coy Porter

Posted: 25 Jun 2001 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, West
Do you happen to have in your NC Porters the parents of these 3 sisters?:

Margaret Irene Porter b: 1798 in NC d: 1870 in Glenn Springs, Spartanburg Co.,SC she married John West ( his second wife) and went to GA, after John's death, she and her 2 sons came back to SC

Mary Menerva Porter b: 27 May 1809 in SC ( according to 1880 census) d: 29 Aug 1882 in Glenn Springs, Spartanburg Co.,SC married Thomas West

Elmira (Myra) Jane Porter b: 1824 in NC? ( a descendant states this) d: aft 1880 in GA married Stephen West.

The 1880 SC census states that Mary's parents were born in NC.

These sisters married brothers- and I believe that all 3 were the second wife of each man- I know that is true for Margaret and Mary and it is thought to be so for Elmira.

Mary Porter and Thomas West are my g g g grandparents and I haven't been able to get any further back than Mary and her sisters.

Hope someone knows who my g g g g grandparents are!

Re: Henry Hamilton Porter

Posted: 1 Jul 2001 2:18PM GMT
Surnames: Porter,Johnson
I am also searching for Henry Hamilton Porter. Mine married Eliza Williams in Parker Co.,Tx. They had six children, Emma C.,Henry, Alma, Willie, Rufus & Aaron.Let me know if this sounds like yours.

Re: Henry Hamilton Porter

John Barron (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2002 5:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Loren, can you give me your source for your contention that Henry H. Porter was born in Lincoln Co., NC, and that Christopher Porter was his father?

Re: Porters of North Carolina

Posted: 17 Dec 2010 2:53PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2014 2:59AM GMT
My great grandmother was Laura Porter, and I think that she was the one in Robeson County listed in the 1850 Census.I'm not sure.Her daughter was my grandmother, Lena Porter, and she had three brothers, Strange, Raymond, and Lemuel.

Have you heard of these names?

Ricky Wallace

Posted: 17 Dec 2010 3:02PM GMT
Linda,

It is odd that my mother's mother was a Porter from NC, and she married a West from NC.

I've been researching the Porters and the Wests from the area around SC.

My grandmother was Lena Porter, and her mother was Sarah Porter. She had brothers named Strange, Lemuel, and Raymond.
I'm trying to find out if she's the Porter in the 1850 RRobeson Cty. census.

My grandfather West is also from around this area. His name is John West and his father was Stephen Tillman West.They
are buried in McColl, SC, along with some Porters who also
lived there.

Where are your West and Porter relatives from?

Sincerely,

Ricky Wallace

Posted: 17 Dec 2010 7:49PM GMT
The Porter and West families in my line were located in North Carolina and Indiana. I have an extensive database on the Porters in Wilkes County. My 2G Porter grandparents moved from Wilkes County, NC to Madison County, IN.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic