Search for content in message boards

Walker Family - East Sussex - Plumpton

Walker Family - East Sussex - Plumpton

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 1:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
I need help in researching Walker families in East Sussex England. The records I find online are scant and I would like to be pointed in the right direction as to where to find parish church records. Are these housed in a particular city, Diocese, or record office?

I am particularly interested in any Walkers with ties to the village of Plumpton in East Sussex. I have come across St Michaels / All Angles Church in Plumpton and would like to know if any parish records still exist. It looks like an ancient church and I’m not certain it’s still in use.

One of the early settlers of the Maryland colony was George Walker (b. ca. 1630) who owned a tract of land in Anne Arundel County called PLUMPTON in 1664. In those days it was common for English settlers to name their tract of land in the new world for an area /location they left behind in England and this Plumpton in East Sussex strikes me as the best possibility for a match.

From initial research I’ve learned their was indeed a Walker family living in Plumpton circa 1656: “9 October 1656 - Robert Free of PLUMPTON, gentleman with William Wilson of Eastbourne, esq, Robert Free to convey to William Wilson for 440…two farms in PLUMPTON called lentridge, occupied by EDWARD WALKER and Pryors Inhams occupied by George Botting”. In the year 1656 Plumpton could not have been very large so at least there is evidence that a Walker family did reside here and leaves open the possibility that George Walker of Maryland was born and raised in this village. Later deeds suggest Walkers “of Plumpton” are living in the nearby village of Lewes.

If you have information regarding Sussex records or information on a Walker family currently or formerly of Plumpton please contact me here or at my personal email kentwalker74@gmail.com

Kent Walker

Re: Walker Family - East Sussex - Plumpton

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 5:18PM GMT
Family Search has an Edward Walker born to father Edward in 1650 in Street, Sussex, England. Other children of father Edward were Ann, 1648 and Thomas 1654.
More interesting possibly was a listing for a George Walker of Hugh Walker born/baptized in Alfriston, East Sussex. No year given, but Hugh Walker m. Mary West Jan. 11, 1635 in Alfriston and Alfriston is only 10 miles SE of Plumpton and the Lewes road connects them. Joan Majtenyi

Re: Walker Family - East Sussex - Plumpton

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 7:29PM GMT
Thanks Joan. I had a hard time finding Street but then noticed a village called Streat that lies between Plumpton and Plumpton Green. I bet this is the same Walker family mentioned in the deed and will check to see if there are other Walker's living in Streat around that time. Thanks for the tip!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions