Search for content in message boards

Links to Source Citations not Appearing.

Links to Source Citations not Appearing.

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 2:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have just noticed that two Source Citations linked to a fact do not appear when clicked. If I go into "Facts and Sources" the citations are there and will open. I have removed the Citations and re-loaded them but they will still not open. I have also found the same Citations in other member trees and they will not appear either.

Any thoughts please?

Re: Links to Source Citations not Appearing.

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 2:59PM GMT
What database(s)?

I noticed a change in the way a source is linked in a 1910 U S census record yesterday. The URL was not copied over into the source.

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 8:05PM GMT
This is a mystery. I have selected a few random Source Citations and these are the only two that cause a problem. Looking at "Facts and Sources", "Facts and Events" and "Source Citations" I can't see any missing URLs but I am not entirely sure what I am looking for. I do know that when these Source Citations were originally linked to the Fact they worked perfectly but that was many months ago.

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 8:26PM GMT
Attached screenshot showing 2 citations from the 1910 census, both from Philadelphia.

On the left one I saved a few months ago. On the right one I saved on Friday.
Attachments:

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 3:15AM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2013 3:17AM GMT
BD:

Not recoding the URL (pointing to the database index entry) in the citation doesn't seem to be what Peter is talking about. No URLs in citations has been happening for a month or so.

Peter:

The best I can gather is that you have a timeline event (Fact) with a link to a citation (1 Source Citation). Is that correct? Then when you click on the "1 Source Citation" and then the link to the source nothing happens. Is that correct? But when looking at the Facts & Sources and then the Source Citations page the citation is there and clicking on View Record works?

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 10:03AM GMT
Thank you both for your help. BD I am attaching a screen shot of the missing URL but I have no idea whether it was there previously.

I am also attaching the profile that clearly shows that the little down arrow is missing from the 2 Source Citations for the marriage. If I click on the 2 Source Citations link nothing happens. If I open these records from the Facts and Sources tab all works as it should.

This is a mystery and I haven't been able to find the problem anywhere else except the problem is repeated with the same 2 Source Citations on Ann Voco's page.
Attachments:

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 1:15PM GMT
With the information included in your screenshots, I was able to locate the person in your tree.

The visible part of the issue is the lack of the small down arrow next to the marriage citations link.

The underlying issue may be caused by having 2 citations for the one fact. Attached screenshot shows what I see on my GGF's profile on a fact for which there are 2 citations. I have a down error and on hover, I get a dropdown of the 2 sources, so that I can select one.

Are you still having problems this morning? There was a several-hour site maintenance overnight, which MAY fixed some issues.

Have you tried deleting one of the citations, exiting the profile and then adding it again?

Have you tried deleting your ancestry-site only cookies? That action cures a multitude of ills with the site.

Attachments:

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 2:52PM GMT
I have many facts with 2 or more citations. I have one with 5 citations and they all drop down the correct number of citations that I can choose from. This seems to be the only one causing a problem.

I previously deleted both citations and started again and encountered the same problem, however I have now deleted one citation (Pallot's Marriage Index) and the remaining citation appears correctly with its down arrow. However if I go to the spouse and remove the other citation (Family Search) the remaining citation (Pallots) does NOT display correctly and there is no down arrow. So this must be something to do with Pallot's Marriage Index.

I have now ascertained that wherever Pallot's appears as a citation the link is missing so I think I will give tech support a call and see what they have to say.

Many thanks for your thoughts. By the way where do I delete Ancestry site cookies please? I will report back.

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 3:00PM GMT
Deleting ancestry site cookies depends on which browser you use.

I use Firefox - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-i...

You can find similar instructions for your preferred browser in the help/how-to files for that browser.

It is important to delete all ancestry cookies - they will be numerous. For the sake of your saved passwords etc., it's important to delete only the cookies for ancestry - not "all" cookies.

With all that occurs when we search and save from the ancestry site, cookies can and do become corrupted. I clear my cache several times daily and I delete my cookies at least every couple of weeks.

Good luck!

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 3:38PM GMT
I have spoken to the nice lady from Ancestry. She will report the problem to Technical Support and she thinks it might have something to do with all the maintenance that they have been doing.

I use IE and can delete cookies without any problem. many thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions