Search for content in message boards

Pettiford Family

Pettiford Family

Posted: 14 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: PETTIFORD
Seeking information on and/or descendants of the Pettiford family in Hawkins Co. Richard Pettiford (b. c1821, m. 1841 in Stokes Co., NC, to Elizabeth Epps) and his brother Franklin Pettiford (b. c1826, wife Lucy) both moved with their families to Hawkins Co. from NC about 1867. Both families listed in Hawkins in the 1870 census. By 1880, Franklin's whole family is gone--where?--but Richard's family remained in the area. Richard m. 2) 1869 in Hawkins to Elizabeth Wright, although she is not with him in the 1870 census. He m. 3) 1877 in Knox Co. to Margaret Elizabeth Baker and was counted in Knox in the 1880 census. His widow, Margaret E. Pettiford, was listed in the Knoxville city directory as late as 1900.

Richard Pettiford's children were Rudolphus (b. c1842), Emeline/Elmina (b. c1844), Louisa (b. c1846), Eveline (b. 1848, m. 1865 in Knox Co. to John Harris but living in Hawkins near her father in 1870), Hiram (b. c1850, m. 1869 in Hawkins to Louisa Hudgens, moved to Knoxville), Susan (c1854/56), Lurena (b. c1857/59), Richard S. (b. c1862). Possibly also Leroy Pettiford (b. c1855, moved to Knoxville w/family) and George Pettiford (b. c1860, m. 1880 in Hawkins to Harriet Still). George's family were the last Pettifords in Hawkins--listed in the 1900 census; George's daughter Julia m. 1902 in Hawkins to L.H. Emmert.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Re: Pettiford Family

Posted: 11 Jun 2012 4:14PM GMT
I see you haven't been on ancestry in over a year, so you may not receive this. But Richard Pettiford was my G-G-Grandfather. Please let me know if you still need info or if you've found any new info?
Thanks-Mary

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 4:04AM GMT
Surnames: Pettiford Bishop McClure
Richard Pettiford is my G-G-G Grandfather. Rudolphus my G-G Grandfather. I would certainly appreciate any information you might have!
Thanks,
Patti

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 8:19PM GMT
Dear Patti-
Wow! We must be related then! I don't have time today but tomorrow I'll write again with more info for you & so we can figure out how we're related. My G-G-Richard Pettiford was the father of Susan Emma Pettiford (my G-grandmother), who married my G grandfather, David Miller Sexton. One of their sons was Alonzo Witt, my grandfather.
I'll write again tomorrow!
Mary

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 5:31AM GMT
Hi Mary,

Yes, we are! Rudolphus was my GG Grandfather. Alonzo must be a family name as that was the name of one of R's sons. Please do write! I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Patti

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 6:23PM GMT
Hi Patti-I just sent you an in-box message using ancestry.com messages...thought we could better communicate that way rather than using the message board.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic