Search for content in message boards

War of 1812 - Bounty Land Grants?

War of 1812 - Bounty Land Grants?

Posted: 24 Apr 2007 10:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just received a bounty land grant file for an individual I'm researching. The land grant information shown is under the Act of September, 28, 1850 and the paperwork is dated in the mid-1850s.

Were there earlier land grants related to the War of 1812?

I'd like to document the source of land which this individual sold in McMinn Co., TN in the 1830s - would land in Eastern TN have been received as a land grant earlier than the mid-1830s or were land grants only made after 1850?

By the way, it appears from the documentation that he received 80 acres in Murray Co., GA (adjoining TN)in 1856.

Re: War of 1812 - Bounty Land Grants?

Posted: 25 Apr 2007 10:39PM GMT
I have Land info from 1789-1837 and some military land grants so if you could give his name maybe I can help?

Dennis Segelquist
Military & Civilian Surname Searcher
dsegelquist1@cox.net
http://civilwarthosesurnames.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 Apr 2007 11:06PM GMT
Surnames: WHITTEN, WHITTON, BUNCH, HAWK, HOUK, HOUCK
Thanks so much - it's Archibald Whitten spelled various ways for both surname and given name. (Archibel, Whitton) He was drafted into Col. Samuel Bunch's Tennessee militia and served from Jan 8 1815 to May 18, 1815 under Capt. John Hawk (Houk Houck.)

He was in McMinn Co., TN in the 1830 census, sold 79 acres in McMinn in 1833 and was in Murray Co. GA in 1840 with sons William and Johnathan.

Any information you could supply would be very much appreciated.

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 1:38PM GMT
I went through my index’s and found nothing but not all is lost if you will call or write The Register of Deeds office for each county they will be happy to help there maybe a small fee. These records are usually housed at the county seat court house of each county.

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: WHITTEN
In general, then, land bounty land grants for the War of 1812 were issued earlier than 1850? And would six months of service would qualify one for 80 acres?

And a further question - one ancestor in a different line paid a substitute for his six months of service. (I have a copy of the the military service record from the NARA.) Would the original draftee qualify for a bounty land grant or would the substitute qualify or would neither?

I have several other War of 1812 service records I'd like to research in terms of land in East TN but I'm not familiar withe the land grant process and documentation. Is there some reading I should do on the topic?

Thanks so much for your reply on Archibald Whitten - I've been the that particular county courthouse but was looking for general info that day - I need to make a follow up trip for sure.

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 7:51PM GMT
The first question would be yes, as for Issuing bounty & land grants they were doing so as early as the 1820’s and before. If you would like to know more about land in Tennessee just put ( Tennessee land grants ) in your search bar there is a lot on Tennessee land grants on the web.

The second one is harder to answer I believe the substitute would get it as the draftee gave up his rights, but I could be wrong. I know when a slave went in his master got it all.
I know I couldn’t not help with the first surname but if you have others I would like to try find something for you. You can E. Mail the names to me or post them here it’s up to you.

Posted: 5 Jan 2009 7:16PM GMT
Surnames: Huggins
Looking for a land grant issued to William Huggins in AR. I believe it was in St. Francis County about 1825.
I have a copy of a hand written note from Captain E. F. Tattnall indicating William was the Heir of Law for his son, also William. Thanks.

Posted: 24 Mar 2009 4:09AM GMT
Surnames: Proctor
I have also been trying to get the full land grant for my ancestor. he is listed as William Proctor, served Capt Porters Co, TN Militia, War of 1812. Rcd land in Dade Co MO, was deceased bef. son Francis Marion Proctor claimed the land, as a Minor son of this William. Francis had a co- assignee and co- patantee because he was a minor. Final document signed on this land in Jan 1863, in Dade Co Missouri. Land ofice Springfield. Having trouble getting this document, because there were so many William Proctors who rcd land in this area. Mother was named Mary. We have ther top page from the GLO site. need more info than this.

Posted: 24 Mar 2009 8:36PM GMT
I took a look but could not find anything.

Posted: 25 Mar 2009 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Proctor
This has been a problem for us too. I have the document that is online of this Land Grant. I found it on a Taney Co, Missouri Gen Web site. Then on the GLO Gov site also. We ahve ordered the document from NARA, but, it has taken months already. Then they call and say that there were so many William Proctor's that recieved land in this area in that time frame, it is hard to get the exact one. So, we wonder why if we have th assumed birth and death date for this man, and the name fo his son, why it is so difficult. They say he must have been a volunteer, as he is not on the regular rosters either. But, at one time they did say the wife was mary on the orig document. We would like to get hold of the original, as it will tell who his family was, and when he was married to my ggg grandmother on it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions