Search for content in message boards

how to find a grave in celle, germany

how to find a grave in celle, germany

michelle (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2003 11:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
I know the birth date and death date of my step daughter and also which cemetry she is buried in, but after looking and looking i fear it may be unmarked. How do i go about finding out which plot it is??
Any help would be grately apprieciated.

Re: find a grave in celle, germany

Mary - NJ (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2003 11:30PM GMT
Hi Michelle,
- Did you try in the Office of the cemetery? You said you had 'looked and looked' and seeing you're in the UK, I'm guessing you went there.
- If there isn't an office on site, the town must have records somewhere. You'll have to first learn how the records are kept (by town, county, state...).
- Often the Death Cert will also contain info on the disposition of the remains; if you could get a copy of that...Her plot number might be there.
- I think your shortest route to finding your stepdaughter is finding out who cares for the cemetery and contacting them. Wish I could be more help, but you're already ahead of most by knowing when she died and where she was laid to rest.
Good Luck
(Cheers)...
Mary

michelle (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2003 6:25PM GMT
Thanks Mary
We did go to the church attached to the cemetery and we spoke (via a visiting priest) to another priest (i think). He took her details and said that he would contact us but i would still like to try myself incase they dont come through with anything. We were asked what denomination she was, but we are unsure, would that make a difference as to which part of the cemetery she would be buried in?
The language barrier is our main problem and im in the process of translating many different phrases ready for our next visit!
Any further advice would be grately appreciated as i really dont know who to ask what to first.
Thanks
Michelle

Mary - NJ (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2003 9:11PM GMT
Hi Michelle,
- Wow, I'm surprised the priest didn't just go into the office right then and look it up for you. Even if all the burials are kept in a big old book/ledger, there must be some kind of order - and you have all that.
- If the book is kept by the year... you know that; and, of course, if its kept alpha, you have her name. (Maybe they were busy that day).
- If you're putting questions down on paper in German, I would ask/request at least these three things:
1. Please show me your records for this name and
2. Please make a copy of this page.
3. Where is she located in your cemetery?
- The written records will be in German, but with a copy you can bring it home then take your time to have it translated, rather have the priest jot down some dates and numbers - it would be a nice addition to your records too.
(I still can't get over the fact that you went there and came back empty handed...)!
Don't forget your camera...
Good Luck,
Mary
ps-Her denomination could make a difference as to where she is buried - but shouldn't slow them down finding her.
(I hope they don't keep separate books for different Religions)! You might ask you husband what his former wife was - that's probably a good guess.

Re: how to find a grave in celle, germany

James Spangler (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2003 3:16AM GMT
Michelle,
There is one more problem with grave sites in Germany, specially when it is a small one. As with the grave site that my grandmother is buried in there is a limit of 35 years that the head stone can be there and then it is removed and later another body and head stone is place here. I was about 5 years old when she was buried and when I looked into the hole there where bones from some else in it. This will make it hard to find any site unless they will let you see the records.
Also if it was a pre-war site there may not be anyone, any records, and/or name of a cemetery left. Now that there is no more head stone the only way I know where she is buried is a photograph that I took of the headstone and the wall be hind it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions