Search for content in message boards

Judkins/Jerkins families

Judkins/Jerkins families

Jack Butler (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Judkins, Jerkins, Campbell, Peacock, Gunter, Cumbie
I am seeking information on the Judkins or jerkins families of Montgomery and surrounding counties. I have some information and would like to add to it by excahnging data.

JUDKINS family

Phil Henson (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: JUDKINS, SMITH, KELLY, HENSON, HENDRIX, ADKINS
I have a WILLIAM JUDKINS who married MARY SMITH in Perry County, AL on 17 Feb 1852. William was the son of USTACEA & HARRIETT JUDKINS. William was one of 11 children. Please contact me if any of this is familiar.

Judkins

Jack Butler (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Jerkins, Judkins, Butler, Daniels
Yes, I am vaguely familiar with this Montgomery County Judkins family. I am away from my notes and posting from a remote site today, so I am going from memory and don't remember if Ustacea was a son or grandson of George Judkins who descends ultimately from Samuel Judkins ca 1650, Surry County, VA. I have details of this lineage at home.

My interest in this family is that they lived in close proximity to my ancestor Zachariah Judkins (who was listed just as frequently as Jerkins) in Hancock County, GA prior to moving to Alabama. Also, James R. Judkins who is a member of this family, purchased land in Barbour Co., AL at about the same time that Zachariah Jerkins bought land just across the county line in Henry County in 1837. On the grant certificate, Zachariah was listed as Zachariah Jerkins of Barbour County. Zachariah also named one of his sons James Robert.

I believe the two families are related and have been looking for a connection. As for the Judkins/Jerkins name thing, it obviously had something to do with how they pronounced the name. The same exact person would be listed as a Jerkins when they bought a piece of property and as a Judkins when they sold it, or would be a Judkins on the census and a jerkins on the tax rolls in the same year. I have found Judkins listed as Jerkins - or vice versa - in the middle 1600's in VA and all through NC and GA until about 1840. By then, I guess that the accent had begun to change enough that the name hardened into either one or the other.

John Gunter

Jack Butler (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gunter
Montgomery County.

Most of my Gunters were in Coffee County - which bumps right up against Pike, so there is a good chance that the families are connected. I have about 26 John Gunters, but the only one born in 1871 was born in South Carolina.

The next closest was John Gunter born in 1870, in Clay County, AL - which is notwhere in the area.

Do you have any other information at all? Wife, children?

gunter

vivian gunter whitten (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
looking for the parent of john gunter born 1871 in pike county not sure of family.

Re: John Gunter

Posted: 25 Aug 2001 1:30AM GMT
I don't know if the info I have is what you need, but I also have alot of John Gunters in the tree & am having difficulty sorting out the family. I have John who had sons named: Gordon, Lando, Clarence & a daughter Rolena. In the process of looking for a Macon Gunter I did find one born NC 1798 & died after 1860 in Alabama I believe Walker County. Macon was married to Nancy born 1804 & died in Walker county, they married in 1822 in NC. I have their children as John b 1830 NC, Benjamin b 1832 NC & married Mary Ann Stewart 11/25/1856 in Jefferson County, Wm b 1834 Al, Macon Jr b 1836 Al, Willis b 1838 Al, a daughter Basthena or Bartheria ?sp, b 1840 in Al, possibly Blount County, and Madison Wain b 10/28/1841 & d 1880 in Jefferson county & buried @ Welti cemetery in Blount county. Madison married Luvina Yeilding Johnson 7/15/1864 in Blount county. I sure hope this will help someone. If anyone knows anything more on Macon please send me info.

Re: Gunters in Coffee County, Alabama

Posted: 13 Mar 2004 3:36AM GMT
My Gunters were from Coffee County, Alabama. Francis Marion Gunter my great great grandfather lived there, was married to Bethenia Archer. He enlisted in Co. A, 18th Alabama Infantry during the War. He moved his family to Montgomery County, Texas around 1875. He had brothers named Riley, George O. and Washington, and sisters named Evaline M., Martha, Lydia A. and Catherine M. His father was named Fair Gunter, born in Marion County, Georgia and wife, Martha. I am also related to and much interested in James Gunter who was born in Alabama, around Clintonville, and dwho died 1/15/50 in Bryce Hospital in Tuscaloosa. He was Chief of Police of Enterprise, Alabama, so I've heard. His wife was Emma Gunter, whom he married in Texas. She and James are both buried in the Enterprise City Cemetery.

Can anyone help?

Re: Judkins

Posted: 3 Sep 2007 4:04AM GMT
Surnames: Judkins, Jerkins
I can only hope you get this email. I have your connection to Ustacea & Harriet Judkins. I am the 7th generation of this family and this is my grandmother's maiden name. I am trying to find the parents of Ustacea/Ustitia Judkins as well as the maiden name of Harriett.

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 2:32AM GMT
Surnames: Gunter
James J Gunter (Jan 27 1867- Jan 15, 1950) is my GGG-grandfather. His second wife was Emma Lou Gunter of Texas (1884-1965) was his cousin. They had one son Jim Junior (Feb 18-1908 - March 30, 1929). I am actually looking for information on his first wife. I have no name. She gave birth to my GG-Grandmother, Dorah May Gunter( Sept 1889- 1966) who in 1900 was found to be in an orphanage, Alabama Methodist Orphanage while James J was a border in the Stephens household and his occupation is listed as Guard in that year census. Does anyone know anything about Dorah or her mother?

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 2:20AM GMT
Bryce Hospital – Health Information Management, 200 University Blvd. Tuscaloosa, AL 35401. 205-759-0852
They have patients' records and are kind and helpful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions