Search for content in message boards

1940 census help

1940 census help

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chandler, Gregory, Morrison
I'm at my wits end.
I'm searching for the family of Willis David Morrison, born 1885 MO and Anna Chandler Gregory Morrison born 1899 MO who were living in St. Louis City in the 1930's-1940's. They might have several children in the household;
Rainey Howard GREGORY born 1915 MO
Troy Jesse GREGORY born 1918 MO
Mable Marie GREGORY born 1921 MO
Ralph Earl GREGORY born 1922 MO
I believe these older children were out of the home already but they could help in the search.
Other children were:
Leonard Rush MORRISON born 1927 MO
Lenor Willis MORRISON born 1933 MO
Loretta Anna MORRISON born 1935 MO
Lonnie Ray MORRISON born 1939 St. Louis, MO

I have searched given names, surname variations, birth dates, etc... I can't think of any other way to locate them. Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: 1940 census help

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 5:52PM GMT
Very odd. . .I found them in the 1930 Census and assume you have too, but no luck for 1940.

Do you have any other source with an exact address for them in 1939 or 1940? For example, the public library might have old street or telephone directories. Or the 1939 birth certificate for the youngest son might give you an address where they were living. Then you could use an index to find the correct ennumeration district and scroll through until you found that house number.

Re: 1940 census help

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: Morrison, Gregory, Chandler
I spoke with one of the children who said that they lived in St. Louis mostly during the winters then the mother & children would return to the farm to raise a big garden during the summers. The father worked for the railroad so did lot of moving around. Anyway, she thought they might be enumerated in Crawford Co. MO but I have gone through the files film by film for the district & they aren't there. So....I have started going through the St. Louis files for different blocks they might have lived in but still no luck so far. Good idea about the phone directory though, I'll have to look into that one. Thanks
PS: I know they didn't move to the Crawford Co., MO farm permanently until 1947.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic