Search for content in message boards

TOILEIU MAIAVATELE - FALEULA

TOILEIU MAIAVATELE - FALEULA

Posted: 15 Dec 2004 10:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: TOILEIU MAIAVATELE - FALEULA
My name if Robert and I'm looking for any information on or about the history and origin of our family name.
Toileiu Maiava...which is short for Maiavatele, was my grandfather who has past on for 22 yrs on April this yr.
please send me an email if you have anything..
I hope you can help.

Re: TOILEIU MAIAVATELE - FALEULA

Norma McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2005 11:55PM GMT
I am a descendant of Charles Louis Spitzenberg born 18 July 1833. He is my Great Great Grandfather. I believe he travelled by ship from New York to Western Samoa in the mid 1860s. My sister did some family history research back in the mid 1980s when we were in Samoa for the unveiling of my Grandfathers headstone. He was Maiava Faavae. I recall being shown Charles grave by my Grandfather back in 1974.

I'm excited to find someone else searching for Charles. Please keep in touch!

Regards Norma

Robert (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2005 6:01AM GMT
Hi Norma,
thank you for your reply-words cannot explain how I felt when I read your it.
At the moment lots of thoughts are going through my mind I dont know where to start. Can you tell me more about the Spitzenberg name? Did he marry in Samoa? What village was she from? How many children did they have?
I would be happy to answer any questions have. This is a blessing>

Norma McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2005 8:09AM GMT
Hi there, Spitzenberg did marry a Samoan & was gifted land from his wifes family to live in Faleula. There is also a Tongan connection as my Great Grandmother could speak Samoa, German & Tongan fluently. How about contacting me directly via email: norma-nz@xtra.co.nz so we can help piece the puzzle together. Hope to hear from you soon.
regards Norma

Samasoni Kupa (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2005 8:44AM GMT
Hi there I was just surfing the Net and came across this post for the name Maiava. My name is Samasoni Kupa, my mother's name is Koleta Maria Kupa nee Maiava. My grandfather (her father) is Maiava Ti'e Maiava (Matai name Maiava), he is the brother of Toileiu Maiava. There were four brother in the first marriage of Maiava Tuna. Semeatu Maiava (dec), Papa Maiava (dec) , Toeleiu Maiava (dec) ,and my grandfather Maiava Ti'e Maiava.
Maiava Faavae as far as I can remember is the brother of Maiava Tuna who is my great grandfather, and the father of the four brother mentioned above.
Robert I think you were at the Reunion we had in Auckland, and Toeleiu's daughters were there with their children. Kalila and her kids etc.
Yeah I think Maiava Tuna's mother had the Tongan blood in her. Im currently in Samoa and my grandfather likes to explain all this stuff about his family, and he even has photos.
But you all know that Maiava Tuna had 3 wives??? with a total of 22 children....
But anyways I am keen and interested in this, please email me too..... if you have any other information
my email addy is samkupa@yahoo.co.nz Thank you and hope to keep in touch very soon.

Anna & Lisa (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2006 9:57AM GMT
Hi Norma
We are also descendants of Charles Spitzenberg from his daughter Mata, we have also sent you an email directly if you want to get in contact with us here in Aussie.

We are also putting pieces together

Cheers
Anna and Lisa

Sam Kupa (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2006 6:46AM GMT
Hi there, I am interested also in your relation to him, Im here in Samoa, Im from Maiava Tie, where in Australia are you? Sydney? orignally from NZ, but in Samoa in Faleula at the moment with the rest of them...

Posted: 21 Apr 2010 4:59PM GMT
Hi Norma, I too am a decendent of the same family. My grandfather was Arona Maiava, his Mom was German name Mautua. Well, don't know much, but will be happy to hear from you all. This is my email rosesaif@charter.net

take care & God Bless

Losa Maiava Fuimaono

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 4:30AM GMT
Dear Robert,

My name is Nerissa Spitzenberg. Charles louis Spitzenberg was also my Great great great grandfather. I did a background check on Charles and he was born 18 July 1833, Heliogoland, Germany. Charles bought a ticket on a ship (I think its a Russian ship). The ship log books does show that he was the only Spitzenberg to board that ship. His occupation was Brewer. He certainly got around. A bit of a player our Grandfather was. All can say at this point is that Charles did not have any siblings that I am aware of. It is by chance that Charles did have other children in Tonga before coming to Samoa.
Charles married my great great great grandmother Melea Solia of Falealupo. Apparently Charles married a paramount chiefs daughter. Melea was also the niece of Maliatoa. It was believed that Charles and Melea's seven children were all born in Falealupo all except for the youngest son Louis. Born 1888. He died which was very sad. That's another story. Mum previously went to Samoa becuase part of the section (Aga's house) which we inherited was going to be seized by the govt. That's another story all together I will tell you in depth later if you want to know.
Which great great grandparent do you descend from? Elizabeth, Martha, Louisa, Allen or Frank? Would you Sunny? He descends from Frank. Anyway, originally there were seven children but I was told that one son died at birth whislt the other died in the later years.
In detail of my descent line is through Charles daughter Martha Spitzenberg. She married my great great grandfather Aumatagi. Martha and Aumatagi had a daughter named Aga. Aga had a daughter named Maka (also known as Marhta to all of our family. Maka (Martha) married Anae from Afega and had a daughter named Sau (who is my mother). Sau has a daughter Nerissa - me. I have daughter name Parmeet. Our descent line is very close and its easy to memorise. This is probably too much to take in. But I promise you its wonderful to able to connect with families. I have also had contact with our families in the U.S. There is alot more to tell you. I have done research on our Great-Grandfather Charles for the last five and half years. It has not been an easy task trying to get information about Charles in Germany and Heliogoland when the people their do not speak english. However if you need more information do not hesitate to get in touch with me. I will be happy to answer any of questions. I hope this information will give you some thought.

PS At present I am trying to make the connections of Charles parents and their descent lines. It would wonderful there were a group of us that could all help each other with information of our anncestors.

all the best,
Nerissa.

Posted: 10 Aug 2010 4:02AM GMT
Hi, i don't know you but my dad's name is semeatu one of your dads brother.i would love to hear more about our family ...very interesting .. wow we have german and tonga blood ...
also i remember grandpa (Maiava Tuna when i went visit him during the early 70s.......
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions