Search for content in message boards

Interested in Belgian-Americans-Belgians

Interested in Belgian-Americans-Belgians

bridget (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2003 9:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Love to have contact with descendants of Belgians who moved to the US & Canada between 1850-1950. Do you still know your ancestors'story, do you have letters, pictures and are you interested in your Belgian roots, please let us know.
We would like to exchange information on Belgians looking for American relatives and vice versa. Not commercial. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Interested in Belgian-Americans-Belgians

Dan (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2003 3:36AM GMT
Surnames: VanGenechten
Yes, I am very interested in learning about my family name and past. My grandfather came to the USA in the 1930's or 40's from village in Belgium I believe was called Wilrick, or something similar, and settled in Detroit, Michigan. There he married Viola Leatherman and raised an only child, Mickey Don. I am my father's only son and wish to learn more of our history. I plan on making a trip someday to Belgium and hopefully meeting some long lost relatives!

Posted: 9 May 2003 11:43PM GMT
My grandparents, John (Jaan) and Bertha Eyskens came to the US via Ellis Island in 1920. My grandmother's maiden name was Maes. They both came from Antwerp, Belgium, and I still have relatives from my grandmother's family in Antwerp area. I have little information on my grandfather however, other than his birthdate and birthplace-Antwerp

Sandra Daly (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2003 12:46AM GMT
i am most interested. Many of my maternal relatives came here to America from Antwerp, Belgium around 1921. My grandfather was one of 14 and my grandmother was one of 9.
I went many years ago to Belgium but have not really kept in touch. My grandparents were Frank and Jeanne(Dethier) Vissers. Poppa's parents were John Vissers and Louise
(Embrechts). Grandmother was born to Robert and Jeanette(Jacobs) Dethier. I have not gotten too far in research.

Iris Uylenbroeck (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2003 3:04PM GMT
Hello Dan

I think the village from where your ancestors came from is called 'Wilrijk'. This place is in the south of Antwerp.

I saw the name that you're looking for: VanGenechten. According to the marketing website www.sopres.be this name appears 970 times in Belgium. Compared to the family name 'Peeters' (which appears over 32,000 times in B), this is a relatively small family.

VanGenechten also appears as Van Genechten.

If you need more information, please send me an e-mail.

Iris Uylenbroeck (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2003 3:10PM GMT
Hello

Eyskens, that's a rather famous name here in Belgium. We have had two ministers (father and son) in Belgium. The son, Mark Eyskens, is still alive.

I think you should check the arrivals lists at Ellis Island, or perhaps passenger lists around '20 to NY. Sometimes more information is available. Your ancestor John (Jaan?) Eyskens might have been called Jan (more common here in B, or his christian name Johannes). Good luck!

Posted: 27 Apr 2004 2:29AM GMT
Surnames: Mourschenetz
wilhelm Mourschenetz born nov. 21-1926. his sister Paulina lives in us. i am a friend of hers trying to help her find her brother .thanks Helen

elsy wilrycx soto (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2004 3:47PM GMT
Surnames: Wilrycx
Please email me regarding Belgian Ancestry. My sister & I have done a small amount of research and may be of some help.

Posted: 21 Dec 2004 3:30AM GMT
Surnames: Taveirne, Taverine, Rebere, Robere,
I am very interested in locating information regarding my Belgium history. My grandmother's maiden name was Leoni Rebere or Robere from Rousselares and my grandfather was Emeri Taveirne from Swerzeele. My grandmother was also married to a Louis Hebben and an Armand D'Haenens from Rousselares before my marrying my grandfather. Any help locating any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't know where to look past the Ellis Island ship records.

Posted: 15 Mar 2005 9:28PM GMT
Hi, In the 1910 Federal Census there is a Emeri Taveirne living in Rock Island Moline Illinois, it looks like his wife's name was Emma and a daughter Margaret or Margarette. Our last name was D'Hanenes and family imagrated from Hansbeke, Belgium. Our name became Dhanenes due to mis-spelling on immagration and naturalization papers. Our family went to South Bend Indiana Along with several Belgian families. Good Luck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions