Search for content in message boards

Sarah CHUBB married to Herbert Rice ca 1887 NY

Sarah CHUBB married to Herbert Rice ca 1887 NY

Cathy Miller (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2002 3:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jul 2006 11:27PM GMT
Surnames: Chubb, Rice
I am looking for Sarah Chubb who married Herbert Rice around 1887 in NY, probably around Fulton,Oswego Co. They had a daughters, Laura Rice , Mabel and Hazel, sons, Martin and Ralph Rice. Laura was born 1888. Some family members are also from Wayne Co. Any help or ideas would be most appreciated. Thankyou from my entire family!

Re: Sarah CHUBB married to Herbert Rice ca 1887 NY

Ruthann Mahoney (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2002 1:07PM GMT
Surnames: Chubb, Beach, Mahoney
Kathy,

I would love to get in touch with you as I am also working on the the Chubb family in NY. My gg grandmother was Fanny Chubb Beach whose father was Loren Chubb.

Ruthann Mahoney
sweep.javanet@rcn.com

Michael Beard (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2002 3:01AM GMT
Surnames: Chubb
Hello Ruthann,

I descend from Chubbs in Yates County New York -- names like Philo, Gideon, Ira, Lorenzo,,,,, If you need any information on Yates County Chubbs, I may be able to help you.

Mike Beard

Posted: 12 Aug 2002 1:44AM GMT
Edited: 25 Oct 2002 9:03PM GMT
Do you have any CHUBBs in your line who went to Ohio and then Illinois? I have a Joel CHUBB, b. 1808 in New York. There are two CHUBB families in the 1810 New York census; Alexander and Gideon. I am guessing that my Joel desends from a son of Alexander's named Harvey as Joel has a son named James Harvey CHUBB. However, I could be wrong and thought I'd check out your Gideon connection.

Posted: 14 Aug 2002 2:06PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2006 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: Chubb, Smith,
Gideon CHUBB b. 10/11/1760, Hillsdale, Columbia County, New York d. 10/21/1828 married Jane SMITH

Children: Ira, Stephen, Betty, Irana, Lidia, Permela, and Philo

I am not aware of any CHUBBs going to Ohio.

I do not know Gideon's parents. My grandmother used Gideon to join the GAR.

Posted: 14 Aug 2002 3:30PM GMT
Surnames: Chubb, Coates, White, Plumb
This is what I found on Gideon in the IGI (secondary proof -- needs to be proved)

Gideon b. 1760 from NY; d. Hillsdale Columbia Co., NY
m. Ann COATES b. in Egremont, MA
CHILDREN: Ira, Stephen, Betsey, Irana, Lydia, Premelia and Philo

Gideon was the son of Gideon CHUBB b. 27 Aug 1713, Attlebore, MA and Jane Doane

Gideon was the son of Gideon CHUBB and Phebe WHITE

Gideon was the son of Samuel CHUBB who was the son of Thomas CHUBB Jr. and Mercy PLUMB b. 1653 dau. of John and Mary PLUMB.

Thomas CHUBB Jr. was the son of Thomas CHUBB Sr. of Beverly, MA and Salem, MA and his wife Avis.

Most of the CHUBB lines I've found from the Colonial days (pre 1750) seem to descend from Thomas CHUBB Sr. of Beverly and Salem, MA. He was an "interesting" man to say the least. He had several children but it looks like only his son Thomas had sons to carry on the CHUBB name. His son Pasco had a daughter named Hannah who m. John Abbott.

I will try to add onto this message in about two weeks. Too much to do.

Cathy Miller (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2002 4:24PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2006 11:30PM GMT
Surnames: Chubb, Rice, Barnhart
I originally posted this query. I am happy for all the info but still can't connect Sarah Chubb. She was born around 1863. I know she married Herbert Rice and after he died of Bright's disease, she married Stephen Barnhart. My problem is finding her parents.I know she lived in Fulton, NY in the Oswego area. I also know she is buried at Mt. Adnah in Fulton but I have no way of reading a tombstone from here. If anyone lives in the area, please help me. If I have some specific birth and death dates, I will have a chance to figure this out. Thankyou everyone for all the information already posted.

Posted: 15 Aug 2002 4:59PM GMT
Candace,

Thanks, I needed that! The entry I have for Jane SMITH is a 2nd wife who appears in his ggrandson's family bible. There is no first wife listed, so I am pleased at your listing.

According to the bible, Gideon owned 33 acres in Hillsdale and operated a grist mill. The bible also says he is buried 6 miles from Hillsdale.

Posted: 15 Aug 2002 5:03PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2006 11:31PM GMT
Surnames: Chubb, Rice, Barnhart
Sorry Cathy -- I went throught all my CHUBB information and could not find any reference to a Sarah CHUBB, Herbert RICE or Stephen BARNHART.

Posted: 15 Aug 2002 5:38PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2006 11:29PM GMT
Surnames: Chubb, Smith, Doane
I went to enter the information you had into my files and noted something interesting. The bible entry for Jane SMITH said she was the widow of Prince DOANE and married to the Gideon b.1760, Your record shows Jane DOANE married to the Gideon b. 1713. The enttry is in my grandmother's handwriting when she was searching for a GAR ancestor -- with so many Gideon's it could just be an error.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions