Search for content in message boards

Gerrit Hallenbeck's wife?

Gerrit Hallenbeck's wife?

Posted: 3 Dec 2009 11:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been wondering this for a while...most every Hallenbeck tree has Gerrit Hallenbeck (born 1734 I think)and names as his daughter Rebecca (who went on to marry Hendrick Ackerman), yet not one tree names a wife.
So my question is this: how was the connection between Rebecca and Garrit made? And why is there no record of a wife anywhere? The family is pretty well documented, from what I have seen, and it's curious that his wife is not given on any tree.

Re: Gerrit Hallenbeck's wife?

Posted: 4 Dec 2009 9:32PM GMT
Surnames: Hallenbeck, Testut, Hooker
Hi Kathleen,
I have not heard of Gerrit Hallenbeck but...I have not got back as far as you have.
I am only as far as James William Hallenbeck, died 1891 in Brooklyn, New York.
Census says he was born in Connecticut but haven't found connection yet.
If I catch up with a wife's name, I will contact you for sure.
Joan Pickering e-mail: curious_956852000@yahoo.com

Posted: 4 Dec 2009 10:29PM GMT
Surnames: Hallenbeck
Hi Joan,
Honestly, I only found him in trees on Ancestry while searching for info on Rebecca; I am related to the Ackerman and Hallenbeck families through a daughter of hers and Hendrick's. That's why I asked about how the connection was made, [not that anyone has to show me proof], I just wonder how anyone knows that Rebecca's father is Garrit/Gerritt (who was the son of Isaac) but no one seems to know her mother's name. It's just odd.
Part of the problem always is information being available for such a long time ago...I've been doing this for a few years off and on but still have a lot to learn about where to look.
One thing I can tell you - if you haven't already come across this - is that not all the info on a census record is necessarily correct. So many times it'll say a state where someone was born and I know absolutely that it wasn't right. It makes me wonder how it got confused, was it given wrong by the person; or someone else or what. When was your James born? How many census records have you found him in?
Have you tried tracking him through a wife's name? I sometimes use the children's name as a way to find a family too.
Thanks for replying, good luck with your search! I'll email you with my address, if you ever want to bounce ideas off me.

Posted: 9 Dec 2009 2:23AM GMT
Joan,
I tried to contact you with some information I found that might help, and it bounced back to me...saying the address was no good.
Do you have another? Please reply, I think I can help with your Hallenbeck family!
Kathleen

Posted: 9 Dec 2009 5:19AM GMT
Hi Kathleen,
Some people get my e-mail wrong because it has an underscore.
Here it is again: curious_956852000@yahoo.com
See if that works.
And thank you Kathleen, I am excited about what you have found.
Joan

Posted: 24 May 2011 2:13AM GMT
Hi Kathleen,
My computer was hacked last summer and all my contacts and work erased. All my passwords were changed and all my contacts also received an e-mail asking for money. Luckily everyone knew it had to be a scam.
Anyway, now I have a new computer and a new e-mail address.
joan.pickering@yahoo.com

Posted: 24 May 2011 3:28AM GMT
Hi Joan -
Glad to have your new email. When I got that email asking for money I knew something was up. I'm so sorry to hear that so much was affected! The worst part is losing your work - I would go crazy. Hope things will be okay in the future. :)
Kathleen

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 4:35AM GMT
There is a Garrett Hallenbeck buried at Linwood Cemetery in Columbus, GA. Tombstone says he was born in Albany County, NY on 6/19/1797 and died 10/17/1868 in Columbus, GA. I am thinking he was kin to my Great Grandmother, no proof yet.
Her name is Leona Adeliade Hallenbeck, B. 10/6/1858 and died 9/21/1933, buried at Riverdale Cemetery in Columbus. She married Minott Everett Edwards. Have you ever came across this line?

Thanks, Perry

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 11:56PM GMT
Hi Perry,
Sorry, the names you gave aren't familiar to me. My Hallenbeck line seems to be centered in New York/New Jersey as far as I've seen. I think the name Garrett is strong in the line, so it's possible that the one buried in Georgia is somehow connected but I haven't come across either Leona or a Minott Edwards. If I ever do I will absolutely let you know. Good luck with your search!
Kathleen

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 7:14AM GMT
Perry, the proof you seek is at the Georgia Department of Archives and History in Garrett's probate file. It names not only Leona Adelaide, but also the other surviving children, particularly those underage and entitled to special orphan support as part of the probate proceedings. See also 1860 census.

Gerrit Yzaacszen "Garrett" Hallenbeck married twice. By his first wife, Maria Matilda LaHatt (m 24 Oct 1818 in NY, she d 1826 in NY), he had four children, of whom only Sarah Leonora Hallenbeck Dimon remained living at time of probate. His second wife was Martha Ann Trotter (m 22 Nov 1838 in Russell Co AL, she d 12 Apr 1874 Columbus), who served as executor and guardian for the minor children. At her demise, executorship was assumed, if memory serves, by William H H Blankenship, husband of the oldest daughter, Martha Ann Josephine. According to cemetery records, Martha is buried next to Garrett, probably beneath the unmarked pile of crumbling bricks. Several unmarried children are in the same lot, and possibly both Theresa Parr and Sophine Keith.

My husband descends from Sophia Leonora, which makes us cousins. See my extensive tree at RootsWeb.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic