Search for content in message boards

WEED surnames (Iowa)

WEED surnames (Iowa)

Kristina Newcomer (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2000 5:25PM GMT
Hello,

My Grandfather, Guy L. Weed, his sisters, Pearl Rhoda Weed and Hazel Fannie Weed, and brother Lloyd Weston Weed, were all born in Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa between 1888 and 1894. There were two older brothers, Claude Theodore and Adelbert Walter and another sister, Maude Ellen who were not born in Iowa, but were raised there. If any of these names are in your family tree, please contact me and we can exchange notes.

Thanks,

Kristina
Posted: 7 Jul 2000 4:40PM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2001 4:59PM GMT
Hi Kristina,
Although the names that you posted were unfamiliar, I have been researching in Humboldt County, Iowa which is not to far from Cerro Gordo. Do you know the parents of your Grandfather? My Weeds moved from Oakdale, Monroe County,Wisconsin in 1880.
They stayed for four years and removed to Sully County, South Dakota on 5/16/1884. Families seemed to travel together back then so I thought there might be something. Let me know if you think there is. Kathy
nyfromca@aol.com

Weeds in Iowa

nyfromca@aol.com (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2000 9:58AM GMT
Hello, Kathy,

My Great-grandfather, Theodore Dennis WEED, was born 20 Jul 1846, at Oak Hill, Greene County, NY (in the Catskills). I believe that he is a possible descendent of Jesse WEED, born 25 Dec 1791 in Cairo, Greene County, NY. Jesse had five sons and one daughter. William (2 Sep 1815) and Dennis (2 Jun 1817) were born in Hector, Seneca, NY and Zernas (7Mar1819), Edwin (2 Jun 1825) and George W. (17 Jan 1827) were born in Cairo, Greene County, NY. I believe that my Great-grandfather, Theodore, may be the son of either William or Dennis. But, I can not find the connection. The WEED family bible was passed on to my Great-aunt Pearl (WEED) Goodman. She has long since passed on and I do not know who now has the bible.

My GG WEED, had four sons and three girls. The sons were, Claude Theodore (15 Oct 1880, Lake Benton, Lincoln, MN), Adelbert Walter (7 Feb 1883, Yankton, Yankton, SD), Guy Launcelot (17 Apr 1888, Mason City, Cerro Gordo, IA), and Lloyd Weston (24 Sept 1894, Mason City, Cerro Gordo, IA). GG WEED died in Mason City in 1895. He fought in the civil war with the northern forces out of NY and was imprisoned at Andersonville, and other prisons in the south.

If you come across any information that contains any of these names, please contact me. I will do the same for you.

Thanks for your reply.

Kristina
Posted: 11 Jul 2000 11:52AM GMT
Hi Kristina,
I read your post and I know that my
G-Grandfather, Thomas Edward Weed, was born in Wisconsin. His parents however, came from N.Y. His parents were Thomas S. Weed, b. 11/9/1820 and Caroline Jones (Jans) b. 4/14/1816. She is, according to rumor, a descendent of Anneke Jans, who settled New Amsterdam in the 1600's.
I can't get any further then Thomas yet, but I am in touch with a descendant of one of his sons. If you want, I have their childrens names and I could e-mail them? How curious that these Weeds ended up in Iowa and So. Dakota. Coincidence? Let me know. You can e-mail at nyfromca@aol.com
Kathy

Thomas S. Weed from N.Y.

Joanne weed (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2000 8:22AM GMT
Hello Kathy,Can you tell me if the "S" stands for Sanford? What part of N.Y. did they come from? We have relatives by named Sanford Weed and ancestors from Seneca Falls,N.Y. and Williamstown,Glouster County,New Jersey. I'd appreciate any info you can provide.Maybe we can exchange what little we know!! Thanks,Joanne Weed

Thomas S. Weed

Posted: 12 Sep 2000 11:22AM GMT
Hi Joanne,
I'm still not sure of where the "S" comes in, but I have met two cousins on line that have documented this family, so if your husband does descend from him, then you are in luck! Please contact me at:
nyfromca@aol.com
lets compare and see! Kathy

Weed

Joyce Weed (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2000 7:10AM GMT
To Whom it may concern.
I was married to a Weed from Orient Iowa. I know that the town at one time was owned by the Weed clan. The Grandparents of my husband Larry Weed, ( which He is the firstborn Grandchild, now age 58) have died but they had several children. I know that Dale Weed is Father to Larry Weed. Dale's First wife was Phillis and second wife was Ruth.

Hope this infomation links with your search.

Will be gone for 3 weeks but will check messages when I get back. You can also e-mail me.

I will search address book to find more of the Weed's if it helps..

Joyce
larkiea@hotmail.com
Posted: 17 Jan 2003 8:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Sep 2003 10:19PM GMT
My GG Jesse Weed was born in Iowa in Chickasaw County but cannot locate anything on the father Frank Weed that was supposedly born in Wisconsin. Do you know anything about this line?

Re: WEED surnames (Iowa)

Posted: 17 Jan 2003 8:40PM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2003 10:19PM GMT
My GG Jesse Weed had a sister named Pearl and they were born in the late 1880's also. I wonder if there is a family connection somewhere. They were born in Iowa. Chickasaw County (south of Cerro Gordo). We cannot seem to locate the GGG Frank Weed anywhere on census records. We know where he is buried (Hazleton Iowa) but that is about it. Nothing else to go on. Do you have any information on this?

I replied under this name before, but somehow it is the wrong email address. So please email me at ryott@byu.edu if you have any response.

Re: Weed's

Kathy Duncan Cawley (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2003 10:08PM GMT
Hi Robert,
Would this Frank born in Wisconsin be Frank E. Weed? I do have a Frank b. 1874, WI., to Edwin and Clara Moulton Weed. They lived for a time in Humboldt Co., Ia. (Livermore), but I am not so certain that they stayed to long. Frank married an Estella (no last name on record). Would this be your family? I have little info on them but I do have quite a bit on his parents if this is indeed the same Frank. If you want to you may e-mail me directly: nyfromca@aol.com
Sincerely, Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic