Search for content in message boards

Notes and How to Save in FTMM2

Notes and How to Save in FTMM2

Posted: 5 Feb 2012 9:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Please pardon this simple question, but how do I save notes after I have entered them in the notes field, e.g., a Marriage Note. I do not see a "Save" or "Submit" button and the text I type is not retained.

Re: Notes and How to Save in FTMM2

Posted: 5 Feb 2012 10:09PM GMT
Here in lies the problem. There is no save. The data should be saved automatically. Unfortunately sometimes it is not. Try exiting the program and reopening it and then re paste or retype the information.

You have discovered yet another bug in FTM MAC 2

Posted: 6 Feb 2012 12:43AM GMT
Thank you! I had tried closing the program and rebooting before I posted my query. I appreciated your reply. Luckily, I am only working on a practice file testing out FTMM2 for Mac before deciding if I want to make the switch from Reunion. I definitely will report this as a bug. Entering fact notes is a basic function, so obviously this needs to be fixed.

Thanks again!

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 2:23PM GMT
Colleen,

There isn't a Save button in any field. When you tab out of it, or go somewhere else, the Notes should be saved automatically.

Russ

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 2:35PM GMT
The keyword here Russ is SHOULD. In fact I have had this exact problem as well. I am thinking since it is intermittent that it may be a memory issue, but I have nothing to substantiate that.

It is very frustrating when you type or paste several paragraphs just to have them disappear.

Posted: 9 Feb 2012 1:49AM GMT
Thank you Russ and HJC3HJC3,
Yes, while on a call with Ancestry.com Tech Support I happened upon the same discovery, i.e., if one switches out of the Fact Note and tabs to "Family" the information in the Fact note is saved. Tech Support was very helpful and actually gave me the number of additional tech support assistance for my issue. I just haven't had time to follow up with them yet, but I plan to do so. When I do, I will post the outcome here.

Posted: 9 Feb 2012 6:47PM GMT
Hello again,
I called Tech Support. They had me perform an uninstall and then I reinstalled the program and now the Fact notes function works. The link they gave me containing directions to follow for the uninstall was:
http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgibin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduser...

Then, the fact function worked just as Russ described it in his message.

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 10:03PM GMT
I too contacted tech support to be told they didn't know of any problem! Then they send me a heap of things to try including installing and uninstalling my database. I'm glad it fixed your problem, but it didn't help me at all
I'd been using the software for a few weeks before I noticed the problem as I had the older version and it always worked. I now don't know what notes I've lost and I'm a big note keeper. :(
Ancestry told me to return it marked defective software and that I'll get a refund. I'm switching to another program I've had enough of this buggy behaviour.

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 2:08PM GMT
I, too, have this problem of notes not being saved. I reported it to Ancestry and received an email saying thanks and we'll try to get that fixed. That was months ago. Meanwhile, as a work around.......immediately after entering something in the note field, quit the program before you click anywhere else and your note will be saved. This is not a very satisfactory solution but it will work until they get it fixed.

I like a lot of things about FTMM2 but I'm done with it now, tired of all the many bugs. It feels like second class software. The last straw for me was when I launched the program and it informed me that my family file (and all it's media files) are no longer linked to Ancestry! This happened once before and now I have two trees on Ancestry that are identical. I don't want to go that route again. I've had enough fun!

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 4:41PM GMT
I have used FTM for Windows for almost 20 years and NEVER had a problem. I switched to Mac a few weeks ago and paid $60 for FTM for Mac 2 and I am VERY upset that I am also having this problem. I seem unable to predict which of my Notes will be deleted when I quit the program. The next time I open it, without fail something is gone - and not just what I put in the last time I used the program, but EVERYTHING that has ever been entered in a given person's Notes section.

I have tried the suggestions listed in this thread (uninstall/reinstall, and clicking on various other tabs before moving on) and nothing works. I have over 100,000 individuals in my file and no way to tell which of my Notes are gone until I have to repeat the hours of research I've already done.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic